Reggie draft ability? Overall as a GM?

Humble_Beast

8 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

I mean, not to be eager beaver over here but I was p stoked on Conley's tip drill PD

After years of watching Hayden, I was just excited to see a young CB locate the football lol. 

It was an awesome play by him. Great coverage, didn't panic, located the ball and made a play.

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

After years of watching Hayden, I was just excited to see a young CB locate the football lol. 

It was an awesome play by him. Great coverage, didn't panic, located the ball and made a play.

It's one game against lesser WRs but he showing something. Sunday night is going to be a real test, Pryor and company are on a different level physically. 

KJ has been very good in a in the box role and can be a pro bowl type. 

The same can be said of MEJ, he can help on the line applying pressure and holding the run. 

20 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Ways to go for KJ and MEJ before we can start talking that mess. And Conley has played 20 snaps and her looks like the real deal? lol... we're getting way ahead of ourselves here.

Not everyone is a pessimist. MEJ was a baller in college and in his rookie year, his problem is injuries if he can stay healthy he is a force. Joseph in year two after his ACL injury looks like our 2nd best player on defense, is it early? Yes, but the kid is an impact player, he showed flashes last year and in year two is a lot more comfortable and it shows.

Conley was a top 10 pick, that we were fortunate enough to land at 24, he was the smoothest CB in the draft, and has great ball skills. And looks like a gamer.

Werent you the guy talking that 8-8 mess? I thought it was a little too early to be panicking before the season even started.

3 hours ago, Geezy said:

Not everyone is a pessimist. MEJ was a baller in college and in his rookie year, his problem is injuries if he can stay healthy he is a force. Joseph in year two after his ACL injury looks like our 2nd best player on defense, is it early? Yes, but the kid is an impact player, he showed flashes last year and in year two is a lot more comfortable and it shows.

Conley was a top 10 pick, that we were fortunate enough to land at 24, he was the smoothest CB in the draft, and has great ball skills. And looks like a gamer.

Werent you the guy talking that 8-8 mess? I thought it was a little too early to be panicking before the season even started.

Nobody is being pessimistic. I'm being patient. Every fan wants to crown players before they actually have a body of work. Too much speculation leads to disappointment.

And yes, I said 8-9 wins could be a possibility if the defense doesn't improve. Through 2 games, they've risen up. But the schedule only get tougher and tougher. 

I think as much credit as you guys are giving Big Reg, you gotta give some credit to Mark Davis and that historically awful haircut. He got the team, and immediately knew it was in as bad of shape as any NFL team can be in, no picks, no money, no talent. So he pulled Big Reg off Ted Thompson's right hand, and then got out of the way knowing it'd probably be 4 or 5 years before he could expect a playoff game. And he was patient enough to follow through. Al couldn't have done that.

10 hours ago, ChaRisMa said:

I think as much credit as you guys are giving Big Reg, you gotta give some credit to Mark Davis and that historically awful haircut. He got the team, and immediately knew it was in as bad of shape as any NFL team can be in, no picks, no money, no talent. So he pulled Big Reg off Ted Thompson's right hand, and then got out of the way knowing it'd probably be 4 or 5 years before he could expect a playoff game. And he was patient enough to follow through. Al couldn't have done that.

Very good point, Mark does deserve a lot of credit.

I remember during one of his very early statements or press releases he made a telling comment, something like "I know what I don't know" intimating that he would let the football guys handle football decision. This is really big and something Al would never ever had said, the proof is in the pudding of course and it does seem like football guys like coach Del Rio and GM McKenzie have been given the responsibility and have risen to the task so far........

And of course, as you said Patience. There has been the odd murmur of 'fire Reggie' especially after a couple rough years to begin but I'm so grateful we kept the process going and have seen it through and are currently reaping the rewards - we've been waiting a long time for some semblance of success!

Both Mark Davis and Reggie McKenzie at this point can be said to have done an incredible job. Nothing short of incredible. Going in a short 5 years from the worst team in football for a decade and a half with the worst contracts and cap in football, to a Super Bowl contender with a very healthy cap. Poorest or one of the poorest teams to having what will likely be the best stadium in football, oozing cash. All on no excess money on hand to build with, as all of Mark's wealth is in a limited quantity of team equity. That is an amazing feat. Mark has absolutely excelled in his tasks. The guy basically outsmarted the slickest billionaire in Vegas, noone saw that coming. So has McKenzie excelled, in many aspects. He is excellent managing our cap and our team personnel, excellent with contracts. There's no aspect of the job that he has not done well at, and if there are they are relatively minor aspects. Considering we are a team contending for a Super Bowl with a healthy cap, and he has not done this by mortgaging the future in collecting money players or aged players, it's a legitimate feat. 

Reggie has done very well, as Ghost mentioned we were a total wreck when he took over. Awful contracts, no direction and no talent. We had to have a few filthy years but we found our QB, cultivated an identity and I am cautiously optimistic on the D. Think we need one more quality D-Line though, Mack is Mack and MEJ is a fine player but the rest are really good situational/rotation players. If we could get a 3 tech who was even above average this D goes to the next level. Glad to see the D looks more organised though already, 

• 1 month later...

I love the draft and sports analytics. I could spend hours analyzing each of McKenzie's draft picks. It's too soon to speak definitively but 2014 seems more like an anomaly than a draft trend with each successive draft. In general, my problems are with McKenzie/FO draft focus on perimeter players (or players that are considered heavily dependent upon other players to generate plays i.e. a great WR is negated by poor QB play, whereas a great OT can play on an island OR a CB can thwarted by a lack of a pass rush, whereas a DE premium DE can be effective on his own). The trends that bother me the most:

1) Drafting outside in when fundamental football philosophy is "draft inside out". In the 5 years of having ALL his draft picks McKenzie has drafted a WR or CB 3 of 5 years

2) A propensity to overvalue "sleepers" at ILB in the draft. To date these are the draft picks the Raiders have dedicated to the ILB position: Heeney (5th), Ball (5th), James (6th), Lee (5th). Is it any wonder?

1 hour ago, Baggabonez said:

1) Drafting outside in when fundamental football philosophy is "draft inside out". In the 5 years of having ALL his draft picks McKenzie has drafted a WR or CB 3 of 5 years

2) A propensity to overvalue "sleepers" at ILB in the draft. To date these are the draft picks the Raiders have dedicated to the ILB position: Heeney (5th), Ball (5th), James (6th), Lee (5th). Is it any wonder?

I’ll dispute these a bit. Reggie certainly doesn’t value the perimeter over the trenches, He’s drafted 4 WRs in 5 years and only one before day 3 (Amari Cooper). Conversely he’s draft 8 offensive lineman and 3 during the first 3 days. Further, Reggie has invested heavily on the offensive line in free agency by making two splash signings in back-to-back years in Rodney Hudson and Kelechi Osemele.

On the defensive side of the ball, Reggie has drafted 12 defensive front players (including edge players) and also invested heavily in the position (Dan Williams, Bruce Irvin, Aldon Smith). Conversely, he’s drafted 9 defensive backs.

On your second point, I actually don’t mind Reggie’s approach to taking linebackers in the draft. On balance, linebacker is one of the least valuable positions on most defenses, and quality players are regularly found in later rounds. The biggest problem is the defensive front hasn’t returned the investment the team has put into it. As we’ve seen time and time again, half of good linebacking corps performance comes in the defensive line play ahead of them.

Perhaps I should have been more clear. I was specifically about the first TWO rounds of draft. Yes, the majority of the starters in the league are not 1-2 rounds. However, those are the rounds considered easiest to evaluate because those players typically have high collegiate production, test well in the combine and have better measurements.

Second, I said RM has drafted a WR OR CB 3 out the 5 years (in the 1st 2 rounds). RM comes from the Ted Thompson ideaology which is to build through the draft. I believe what, in part we are debating, is whether he is accomplishing that.

Last, I too do not place a high value on LBs in the 1st round of the draft. However, consistently searching for value in the 5th & 6th when u have a gaping hole is not sufficient.

Archived