2020/2021 - The 55: Roster Talk & Team-Building Analysis

Mind Character

3 hours ago, Mind Character said:

Weight is symbolic of other performance and investment issues.

It's not about weight per se, but with Baker it's a trend of something more.

Baker does not have the margin of error to work with that other QBs have because of their natural athletic/size gifts.

Totally different scenarios then those guys you posted later in their careers..

TB12 and the total insane commitment to sports performance of Brady that started early on in his career even before TB12 showed a QB that had a different level of commitment to greatness than we've seen thus far in young Baker Mayfield's career.

Style of play for a 6'5" monster arm impossible to get down slipper pocket boulder Big Ben is different. He's been blessed with more athletic gifting than Baker and is dealing with a different margin of error than a 6ft less gifted different style of player.

Peyton Manning was obsessive in the weight room, in-driliing, and receiving QB coaching... his lower body strength and year round fitness was totally different early on and in the prime of his career compared to late career Peyton that was pasted in that photo.

Mahomes, Watson, Jackson, Wentz, Prescott, Murray, Wilson, Carr, Garoppolo, Stafford, and Goff.

Those are the QBs Baker is racing up the QB mountain. The Brees, Big Ben, Rivers, Brady types are on their final laps.

Most if not all of the QBs Baker is racing have already developed elite routines from nutrition, exercise/recovery, and/or skills/knowledge development. Baker has to find his or his talent will only take him so far.

Bro, he’s not some fat turd, he’s just not ripped.

Low body fat has literally nothing to do with being a good QB and there’s no wall of text about players work ethics from 20 years ago you think have first hand knowledge of that changes that fact.

27 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

And @Mind Character, aren’t you the one who always feels the need to remind us that these players are people with lives too?

Tommy can go to the beach with his Mrs and it’s all well and good, but because Baker’s not ripped and on the beach in January he’s not working hard?  

Oof...

Come on stop it man...

I have never argued that Baker doesn't work hard, or that he hasn't had a solid work ethic.

You can be a periodic and solid hard worker and get flabby in the off-season, but that's a different worker and different committed athlete than the lifestyle all in worker athlete.

R.I.P. Kobe, but in the released clips of him talking to the Browns he spoke about how a lot of guys work hard but a lot of guys are sporadic or episodic hard working and not consistent with it. It's the consistent and elite hard work that is required for greatness.

I have questioned and asked whether or not he's willing to do what's necessary to compete with elite, obsessive workers like Deshaun Watson, Russell WIlson, Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Dak Prescott, etc.

I have questioned whether he's willing to invest and commit to the way of life it takes to race those elite athlete up the mountain to greatness.

I think there's evidence that suggests that he might not be that type of worker or at least if he's the hard working type he may not be the Smart-Hard-working type that's aware that he doesn't know what he doesn't know and other experts can help him faster along the journey to elite sports performance and skills development.

He was heralded as elite worker and elite leader of men. A culture changer.

The elite athletes like Lebron, Brees, Brady, Russell Wilson, and even younger athletes like Prescott, Wentz, and Watson treat their bodies like multi-million dollar investments that require leading a way of life, nutrition, fitness, and development that has them a certain way all the time.

It's not just one thing man. If this was one thing in isolation it wouldn't matter or it wouldn't be worth paying attention to.

It's just trends and patterns manifest that Baker might not be the elite obsessive smart-worker, football as a way of life type. That doesn't mean he can't be good, but given his physical and other limitations it may very well mean that he might not have what it takes to compete to win against those QBs that are all in on the life.

And....

I've posted a picture of him looking flabby while next to all those guys in shape with the following message "Baker looks like he's getting into good offseason shape... ... he's got it all figured out... ... and by it ... I mean fast-food menus ..." ... that's good times..

Edited by Mind Character

The work that Baker needs to so doesn’t have anything to do fitness.

Baker needs to refine his technique and understand what defenses are doing.  The rest he’s already pretty good at tbh.

As far as taking care of his body, you’re equating fitness to doing that.  He doesn’t have to be thin, rocked up, none of it.  He needs to maintain flexibility, ROM, maintain decent cardiovascular fitness, etc.  None of that equates to a beach body.

Fair or not, when an athlete who is coming off of a poor season shows up/is seen out of shape, that's always going to be associated with "not taking your profession seriously". When TB12 and Big Ben (who has been criticized too despite 2 rings tbh) do it, they can "get away with it" because they're HOF caliber, not coming off of an underwhelming season in which they and their teams have regressed.

17 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Fair or not, when an athlete who is coming off of a poor season shows up/is seen out of shape, that's always going to be associated with "not taking your profession seriously". When TB12 and Big Ben (who has been criticized too despite 2 rings tbh) do it, they can "get away with it" because they're HOF caliber, not coming off of an underwhelming season in which they and their teams have regressed.

I guess the point is if you can have success while being chubby, it’s not a terribly relevant factor in success at that position.

I mean, you name a chubby corner or WR who dominated?  Hell no, you need to be a peak physical specimens at those spots. 

QB is the football equivalent to a pitcher.  You don’t need to be shredded to throw a ball well.

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I guess the point is if you can have success while being chubby, it’s not a terribly relevant factor in success at that position.

I 100% am in agreement, but for those of us, myself included, who saw a guy who wasn't the same and question his motivation this year vs. entitlement/buying his own hype, filming a million commercials, not improving the raw parts of his game, etc., that doesn't exactly show a poster child example of commitment.

I mean, you name a chubby corner or WR who dominated?  Hell no, you need to be a peak physical specimens at those spots. 

I don't disagree

QB is the football equivalent to a pitcher.  You don’t need to be shredded to throw a ball well.

I don't disagree with this in a vacuum. However, what I said above I stand by. In January, I couldn't care less what he's doing as long as he's doing it legally.

Come this spring, he'd better be putting in the mental and physical time, because he showed up to camp this year FAT and OUT OF SHAPE, and fair or not, it showed on the field this year that he was ill prepared. While most of that was on the staff, he needs to take some of that blame himself.

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I 100% am in agreement, but for those of us, myself included, who saw a guy who wasn't the same and question his motivation this year vs. entitlement/buying his own hype, filming a million commercials, not improving the raw parts of his game, etc., that doesn't exactly show a poster child example of commitment.

Commitment to what?  Fitness or football, because they’re not one and the same.

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Come this spring, he'd better be putting in the mental and physical time, because he showed up to camp this year FAT and OUT OF SHAPE, and fair or not, it showed on the field this year that he was ill prepared. While most of that was on the staff, he needs to take some of that blame himself.

If he comes out with the same pudge in June, but has improved his footwork/mechanics, has a good grasp of the offense, etc., I’ll be just fine as he obviously spent time working on the parts of his game that need improving.

Him being diced up and still throwing off balance with his shoulders all over the place means nothing to me.

• Like 1

Commitment to what?  Fitness or football, because they’re not one and the same.

When you aren't committed to your fitness and then you regress, people question your commitment to football as well. This is why I said him being out of shape/chubby this year in a vacuum isn't a big deal, but it is when combined with commercials, regression on the field, Twitter wars, Cowherd wars, Rex Ryan wars, etc. It's just one more piece of ammunition that points to his lack of commitment in 2019, particularly in the offseason. He was distracted. And we'd all better hope that he was distracted.

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

If he comes out with the same pudge in June, but has improved his footwork/mechanics, has a good grasp of the offense, etc., I’ll be just fine as he obviously spent time working on the parts of his game that need improving.

No doubt.

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Him being diced up and still throwing off balance with his shoulders all over the place means nothing to me.

I agree

16 hours ago, braylon said:

So I realize this, but I'm not afraid of paying guys on short term deals. This is the time. Baker and Myles are going to get MEGA deals. I want us to be aggressive in adding talent to the team in the short term. Paying a guy like JPP on a 2yr deal is exactly what I mean. I'm not trying to add any FAs to 5yr mega deals, but I do want to add a couple vets to shore up some positions of weakness.

Understandable.  Its definitely another thing if they are willing to sign short deals that we can get out from under.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CBrownsman said:

Understandable.  Its definitely another thing if they are willing to sign short deals that we can get out from under.

It would be good to roll into the year we have to re-sign baker or myles with a ton of roll over cap so we can use a lot of that to off set there what heir annual cap hit will be.