2020/2021 - The 55: Roster Talk & Team-Building Analysis

Mind Character

9 hours ago, Mind Character said:

Nope, I've QUESTIONED IF he has the desire to be great ("Can/Will Baker pick up elite performance routines, commit like Brees and Brady, improve study habits and collab with receivers, etc) and stated that he's going to need to trend towards the Brees' of the world.

That's different than saying "he doesn't have the desire to be great."

If you haven't observed concerning trends with Baker you're blind. When he says "I thought things would come easier" or looks out of shape or unprepared it makes sense to question IF while maintaining that nothing is solidified yet.

Unlike a lot of other posters, though I'm worried about where I see things trending I still reserve final judgment until Baker has more time.

Along the way when he does well, I've given him props, but as things have trended downward and his emotional volatility has made things negative I've pointed out those negative trends as well.

This fairly reflects what you have posted.

Agree that there are warning signs/trends that are not encouraging.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The work that Baker needs to so doesn’t have anything to do fitness.

6 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Fair or not, when an athlete who is coming off of a poor season shows up/is seen out of shape, that's always going to be associated with "not taking your profession seriously".

I would be more impressed if instead of saying "I can't throw interceptions" he had once said something like: I have been studying a lot of film and working on ways to improve my footwork and field vision.

It isn't clear to me at the moment that he even understands what it takes to be great much less has a commitment to it.

Fitness (conditioning might be a better term) is a direct and visible reflection of discipline and commitment which I literally do not see.

48 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Unless the Browns flat out don’t want Joe Schobert, I can’t see how he at least doesn’t get a franchise tag.

Idk man CJ Mosleys contract last yeah had to make the franchise tag something crazy 

it’s gotta be like 18 million 

that’s too much for Schobert 

3 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Idk man CJ Mosleys contract last yeah had to make the franchise tag something crazy 

it’s gotta be like 18 million 

that’s too much for Schobert 

Why?

It would be a 1 year deal. Do your booty cheeks always tighten up when you see a billionaires money being thrown around?

Edited by candyman93

22 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I guess the point is if you can have success while being chubby, it’s not a terribly relevant factor in success at that position.

I mean, you name a chubby corner or WR who dominated?  Hell no, you need to be a peak physical specimens at those spots. 

QB is the football equivalent to a pitcher.  You don’t need to be shredded to throw a ball well.

Indeed and of course.

There usually is overlap in an athlete's commitment to a lifestyle of elite sports performance preparation and their physical fitness.

That's not always the case (especially with naturally big guys with crazy natural athletic talent like Big Ben), but generally speaking an obsessive athlete who takes their QB training/drilling seriously with daily routines often has a stringent diet/nutrition and exercise and recovery routine.

Engaged or Obsessive daily work habits tend to find their way to other aspects of living.

So, in the end you very well might be right that Baker's outward body/physical fitness might not actually be indicative of an overall work habit/routine approach to his QB skills development, but in truth physical fitness is often indicative of other underlying approaches to elite work habits and athletic performance.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, candyman93 said:

I would only be okay with Joe being let go if it meant we were getting a combo of Jack Conklin and Joe Thuney. Right side of the offensive line is set and it becomes 100x easier protecting Greg Robinson at LT.

Rather just go after one of the top tier LTs in the draft, along with signing those two guys to fix the RS