FA 2020

drfrey13

3 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Another LB hits the market. Kirksey is good too but injury concerns are real.

I was just waiting for this cut to be made, Kirksey was excellent on a terrible team for a long time, good all round LB and should be very cap friendly. Combine him with his old running mate Schobert and draft a couple high potential rookies and we can maybe solidify the position for a few years with the rookies taking over in due course. Kirksey can also play MLB and OLB in our system so long as his injury had healed well.

26 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I was just waiting for this cut to be made, Kirksey was excellent on a terrible team for a long time, good all round LB and should be very cap friendly. Combine him with his old running mate Schobert and draft a couple high potential rookies and we can maybe solidify the position for a few years with the rookies taking over in due course. Kirksey can also play MLB and OLB in our system so long as his injury had healed well.

The reality is we’re not going to get 2 high priced LBs and draft 1 early.  We’re going to put a mix of FA cash and draft capital into the LB vacancies, but we’re not going to JUST address that position.

Draft Simmons(requires trade up) or Murray/Queen at 19 or after trading down in 1st

Sign a top FA like Schobert or Littleton

Sign a value FA like Kirksey, etc 

and run with Lee, Morrow, and possibly Burfict/Compton as backups.

ideally, I’d sign Schobert to play MLB on day 1-2 of FA for +\- 4y,44m trade.  Then in the draft you trade 8,80, 118 (or even 91) for 8 with Arizona and get Simmons to play him at SAM.  Then add a guy like Kirksey to be a “starter” at WILL for 1-2y @ 3-5M APY.  Morrow and Lee should see snaps too and the WILL would be the LB to come off the field when going to the nickel.  They really only have to be a decent run defender who doesn’t get “Whitehead’d” in coverage to the tune of a perfect coverage QBR when targeted.

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

What do you think were looking to get for Jackson?  Maybe a 3rd-4th.  He’s on a very team friendly contract.  

I’d prefer to keep Jackson, hopefully this is just a rumor meant to get back to Jackson’s agent and start the discussion about moving some of his salary to performance bonus (ie game by game roster bonuses) in exchange for more guaranteed salary.  It might be better for Gabe to reduce his salary to a guaranteed 6M with the remaining 4.5+M made back up in the form of game bonuses and incentives.  If he’s cut at the end of camp it’d be hard to get over 4-5M on a one year deal.

1 hour ago, jimkelly02 said:

The reality is we’re not going to get 2 high priced LBs and draft 1 early.  We’re going to put a mix of FA cash and draft capital into the LB vacancies, but we’re not going to JUST address that position.

Draft Simmons(requires trade up) or Murray/Queen at 19 or after trading down in 1st

Sign a top FA like Schobert or Littleton

Sign a value FA like Kirksey, etc 

and run with Lee, Morrow, and possibly Burfict/Compton as backups.

ideally, I’d sign Schobert to play MLB on day 1-2 of FA for +\- 4y,44m trade.  Then in the draft you trade 8,80, 118 (or even 91) for 8 with Arizona and get Simmons to play him at SAM.  Then add a guy like Kirksey to be a “starter” at WILL for 1-2y @ 3-5M APY.  Morrow and Lee should see snaps too and the WILL would be the LB to come off the field when going to the nickel.  They really only have to be a decent run defender who doesn’t get “Whitehead’d” in coverage to the tune of a perfect coverage QBR when targeted.

I agree in part, but in no way would I be trading up in any draft for a SAM backer. Just not that impactful or valuable a position IMHO. I can see us attacking FA exactly as you say using a mix of one or two top free agents and a mix of value and 'later in the week' free agents as we have done before. In the above scenario, we'd have our starting MLB in Schobert which is the biggest cog and we'd have a few guys who are at least capable starters to man the WLB and SLB.

I personally wouldn't trade up for a LB but in the unlikely event that Simmons fell wouldn't be unhappy with him at 12, though I admit I'm one of the few guys round here it seems that is very nervous of taking off the ball LBs high, an awful lot of players have underwhelmed when taken high and whilst I think Simmons is a very good prospect I'd probably think a great penetrating DT or WR would be the more impactful player (if they pan out of course!). We didn't see a lot of Abram but listening to some sound bites it seems we intended for him to be matched up on TEs a fair bit but that remains if he does and if he can be effective. My preferred course would be to add the FAs noted above whilst trading back up into the 2nd round for a guy like Baun who I think will be excellent, failing that I think a good Lb prospect may fall to us in the 3rd and we pull the trigger. 

10 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I agree in part, but in no way would I be trading up in any draft for a SAM backer. Just not that impactful or valuable a position IMHO. I can see us attacking FA exactly as you say using a mix of one or two top free agents and a mix of value and 'later in the week' free agents as we have done before. In the above scenario, we'd have our starting MLB in Schobert which is the biggest cog and we'd have a few guys who are at least capable starters to man the WLB and SLB.

I personally wouldn't trade up for a LB but in the unlikely event that Simmons fell wouldn't be unhappy with him at 12, though I admit I'm one of the few guys round here it seems that is very nervous of taking off the ball LBs high, an awful lot of players have underwhelmed when taken high and whilst I think Simmons is a very good prospect I'd probably think a great penetrating DT or WR would be the more impactful player (if they pan out of course!). We didn't see a lot of Abram but listening to some sound bites it seems we intended for him to be matched up on TEs a fair bit but that remains if he does and if he can be effective. My preferred course would be to add the FAs noted above whilst trading back up into the 2nd round for a guy like Baun who I think will be excellent, failing that I think a good Lb prospect may fall to us in the 3rd and we pull the trigger. 

Fair take, but I’d like to add Simmons is t the typical SAM.  The guys a TE eraser and that frees us Abram and others to lend coverage elsewhere.