Around the NFL Thread

beardown3231

13 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I said I'd take Jordan Howard over him and I stand by that.

He is 100% better than Fournette. That's why I always scoffed at those who were clamoring for him as Howard's replacement. I mean I wouldn't go as far as to say Howard is a tier better than Fournette or something crazy like that but he's better nonetheless.

Both players are similar in style but Fournette doesn't run as hard as Howard does and is not as good of a blocker.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

He is 100% better than Fournette. That's why I always scoffed at those who were clamoring for him as Howard's replacement. I mean I wouldn't go as far as to say Howard is a tier better than Fournette or something crazy like that but he's better nonetheless.

Both players are similar in style but Fournette doesn't run as hard as Howard does and is not as good of a blocker.

What makes you think Howard is the better blocker?  Fournette is far and away better. Fournette runs as hard or harder than any back in the NFL. Howard included. How is he 100% better?  That doesn't even make sense. Lets not overrate Howard. He wasn't that good last year. If you watched Fournette every week like I do (if they sell out) you wouldn't have a lot of negatives to say. You'd feel bad for him cause the Jax offense isn't helping him and he still gives 110% and never comes off the field.  He also has big play potential with elite acceleration and top end speed. 

32 minutes ago, Damikeeeee said:

What makes you think Howard is the better blocker?  

Remember when we had no real OL? Howard was consistently  holding his own against LB's and edge rushers left and right and that hasn't changed. I just watched him Thursday night stand up the Packers LB Martinez as he came free on blitz similiar to play that he sacked Mitch in week one. Meanwhile, I've watched Fournette get thrown aside by a nickel back!

32 minutes ago, Damikeeeee said:

He wasn't that good last year.

He wasn't that good because he didn't fit Nagy's system. Nagy's system relies on two type of backs. One who can catch out of the backfield. A second who can run between tackles on IZ plays and wear down defenses late in the 4th Q. A third who can do all three. Howard didn't fit the bill in 2 out of those 3 and because of that, having Howard in on any play would tip the defense on what the offense was running ---which was usually a run up the gut between either the A or B gaps because of the system built around Nagy's RPO system. 

Why do you think Pederson (who runs the same system as Nagy) traded for Howard, then spent a 2nd or 3rd round pick (can't remember) on Sanders and still signed Sproles later on?  Because all 3 of them combined fit the bill the system called for.  

Edited by JustAnotherFan

3 minutes ago, Damikeeeee said:

Fournette barely blocks this year but if you think Howard is better then all the power to you. 

Well if that's true then than doesn't really help his case then. All that means is that the coaches still don't trust to keep him in to block even after ~4 years in the league. 

4 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Well if that's true then than doesn't really help his case then. All that means is that the coaches still don't trust to keep him in to block even after ~4 years in the league. 

That's not true. He's always been a great blocker. The system just ask's him to do it less it seems. 

6 hours ago, Damikeeeee said:

I don't think a lot of teams would agree. We can compare the money they get in FA or if Fournette is traded what they get to compare how NFL teams feel about them.

A team overvaluing a player does not equate to them being good.

I just don't see what is to be impressed with him. The fact is Fournette is below average in breaking tackles which is what he was supposed to be able to do. He was supposed to come in shake off the first guy and be able to make something out of nothing. The AP Bo Jackson comps were rampant and laughable. In none of his three years has he been able to consistently break tackles. For a  power back he that is terrible. His yards per carry is terrible for his career and is still inflated with some long runs like his 70-yarder or whatever earlier this season. If not for that he averages about 2.5 yards per carry that game too.

He's just not a real starter to build around. I'd be happy to have him for about 2 to 3 million a year as the number 2 but outside of that I'd rather gamble with a rookie that has potential.

Cutler was not special that use a better quarterback than Fournette is a running back. We will see if Fournette gets to live his career through outdated hype as well.

• Like 1