Thoughts on Browns after week one loss

Vladimir L

Listened to a Browns podcast today. Guy was saying Kitchens wanted to turn this team into the 'badest mofos' in the league - hard hits, trash talk, a nightmare to play against (maybe like the Ravens in early 00s). He reckons with his inexperience, this went too far and the players became a bit out of control (e.g Robinson's up-kick). Probably learnt his lesson and they will be more disciplined against the JEST.

6 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Listened to a Browns podcast today. Guy was saying Kitchens wanted to turn this team into the 'badest mofos' in the league - hard hits, trash talk, a nightmare to play against (maybe like the Ravens in early 00s). He reckons with his inexperience, this went too far and the players became a bit out of control (e.g Robinson's up-kick). Probably learnt his lesson and they will be more disciplined against the JEST.

But you can't undo six months of a growing culture and just *snap* change it in a week.  Many people saw the biggest obstacle in the Browns path to success was the head coach and his inexperience.  And that reared its ugly head on Sunday, in front of a hyped crowd in Cleveland.

Week 1 overreactions are always the worst of the season.  But it's not like Freddy can just flip the culture on a whim.  It takes time.  The team still has to gel in some respects.  And their offensive line looks as bad as ours was purported to be., so the scheme will have to be adjusted.  

• Like 6

1 minute ago, INbengalfan said:

But you can't undo six months of a growing culture and just *snap* change it in a week.  Many people saw the biggest obstacle in the Browns path to success was the head coach and his inexperience.  And that reared its ugly head on Sunday, in front of a hyped crowd in Cleveland.

Week 1 overreactions are always the worst of the season.  But it's not like Freddy can just flip the culture on a whim.  It takes time.  The team still has to gel in some respects.  And their offensive line looks as bad as ours was purported to be., so the scheme will have to be adjusted.  

Good post.

No one should've been buying into the Browns as much as they were during the offseason. Yes, they are probably the most talented team in the AFC North, but they also have an unproven rookie head coach, and a bunch of talented players who haven't played together much.

I have no idea what to make of their coach yet, but it's going to take time to get it to all to come together.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, INbengalfan said:

Spot on

26 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I know you haven't heard it (and I haven't linked it) but do you agree with what the guy I was referring to above said? As in, trying to make the Browns nasty and got the balance wrong? 

I’m no football expert, but I think scheme is the biggest concern. We are trying to run a 11 personnel air assault. We just don’t have the tackles to hold up 1 on 1 like that. We need TEs and RBs to chip block.

My thoughts? Are we really surprised?

With all due respect to this team some people in the locker room talked smack, they possibly came into this game thinking there is no way we lose and guess what? They realized the other team was actually going to try. This happens all the time. Everyone has a bad day, Mayfield had a really bad day. It only defines their season if they let it.

51 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I know you haven't heard it (and I haven't linked it) but do you agree with what the guy I was referring to above said? As in, trying to make the Browns nasty and got the balance wrong? 

I still think the players were completely believing the hype and felt they could beat anybody. They thought the titans would just roll over give up. When Tennessee was fighting back we got frustrated and things snowballed from there. 

4 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

My thoughts? Are we really surprised?

With all due respect to this team some people in the locker room talked smack, they possibly came into this game thinking there is no way we lose and guess what? They realized the other team was actually going to try. This happens all the time. Everyone has a bad day, Mayfield had a really bad day. It only defines their season if they let it.

Yep. 

• Like 1