Thoughts on Browns after week one loss

Vladimir L

2 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I dont expect much from the Steelers this year...at most, another early playoff exit....but yeah.    It was week 1 vs a team who usually does that to us.    It was a tough game to start with considering how many changes the team went through.

FWIW - i was wrong.  Their only really bad start under Tomlin recently was last year (1-2-1).  I still think they rebound.  I can't buy into Baltimore yet until i see them play a non-Miami team.

Real talk, I think Freddie may be in over his head. Titans missed Lewan, but used chips and other things to try and slow down Garrett. When Robinson got ejected and Lamm got hurt, they still had Baker dropping back for long developing routes, instead of quick hitting throws. The inability to adjust to the situation would concern me more than the final score of a single game if I was a Browns fan.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

1. You cannot judge the whole season on any one game, let alone game 1

2. That said, it did appear that the entire city and the team were mega-hyped, and that's probably not the best state of mind to be in

3. Kitchens needs to cool it as well, he was blowing his top at nearly EVERY one of those penalties, including the hit very late to Mariota which was clearly a flag all day. Calm yourself.

They won't play that bad again, I'd say. Love the Browns fans here, but have to admit - the hype was getting too much (not necessarily your fault) and it was a reality check.

Lots of this. The hype train was full steam ahead and it would be hard for the players not to get caught up in that. It’s week one and it usually doesn’t mean much in the long run. Let’s see how they bounce back and how they react and deal with this. That’ll be a big test. 

It’s one game.

The lack of discipline was the real issue.  Some of the calls and no calls were bad, but generally speaking it wasn’t the officiating, it was sloppy, sloppy play.

Greg Robinson getting ejected hurt the team, especially when his backup got hurt.

The offense was in consistently awful down and distances due to the penalties. The play calling wasn’t great, but there aren’t a lot of great plays for 2nd and 25.  They didn’t do enough to help the crappy tackles though with TE’s and RB’s.  Didn’t try to establish the run enough.

The picks aren’t too concerning imo, bad throws and poor timing with receivers who sat in the preseason.  It’s not great or anything, but I think they figure it out.

I’m not going to bash Freddie yet, let’s see how they respond next week.

Credit the Titans for mucking things up as playing good football.  They’re not an easy win as they don’t make a lot of mistakes and beat themselves.

The Browns bought into their hype and weren’t ready to play.  

Either way, it’s one game.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Real talk, I think Freddie may be in over his head. Titans missed Lewan, but used chips and other things to try and slow down Garrett. When Robinson got ejected and Lamm got hurt, they still had Baker dropping back for long developing routes, instead of quick hitting throws. The inability to adjust to the situation would concern me more than the final score of a single game if I was a Browns fan.

In their defense it was regularly 2nd and 20 and 1st and 25. Almost every issue stems back to the ridiculous amount of penalties.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Which can also go back and be attributed to the coaching staff for lack of discipline.

Agreed, but just as Baker needs to continue to grow as a young QB, Freddie will need to adjust and do the same as a coach. Knee jerk reactions aren't too fair. Not to say Freddie will succeed, but this certainly is not enough to even tilt the scale at all. The team was overhyped and had a bad game. Not sure why people don't respect Tennessee more - they are a good team. I thought the browns would win because our defensive front vs Tennessee's, but it didn't materialize.

I personally believe if the penalties committed had been even on both sides Cleveland would win. Maybe we'll see a rematch in the playoffs, as I envision Cleveland battling for the #5/#6 seed and Tennessee with a good shot to win their division.

Browns youth and lack of discipline are why they lost. You can't punch and kick the other players or give their offense half a dozen first downs off of penalties and expect to win. I'm sure Kitchens will have his youth team playing better as the season progresses. 

More concerning is the O-line. Mayfield can't win games if the O-line is giving up safeties. If I was Dorsey I'd call DC about Trent Williams. Offer him Greg Robinson and a 4th maybe a 6th as well as a starting point. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

• Like 1

We lost due to horrible discipline. Being in constant 2nd and 20s and 3rd and 15s doesn't allow you to have a balanced attack on offense, and Tennessee took advantage since they knew the pass was coming. That to go along with a shaky OL is not a recipe for success. There were about 3 bad calls on the Browns (OBJ OPI, Randall holding call was ticky-tack that kept the drive alive and led to a Tennessee TD, and the first penalty on Robinson was BS when a Tennessee player did the same thing on Henry's TD play). Still, most of the penalties were self-inflicted and were easily avoidable. Tennessee is a very disciplined team and they took advantage of our mistakes. When we weren't making mistakes (the first drive on offense was about the only time) we moved the ball down the field easily. Our defense usually made the stops when they weren't committing penalties either. We just kept shooting ourselves in the foot.

Next week will be a good indicator about who this team really is. If they play like they did today, then I'll officially be worried. But we just need to clean up the penalties and play up-tempo offense and run the ball more. Freddie needs to do a better job adjusting, but he wasn't being helped with all of the penalties. Not sure if the lack of discipline is on him or the players, but I guess we'll see.

Baker was decent for most of the game until the fourth quarter where he was just rattled and the defense pinned their ears back and just went after him. The defense also seemed to just give up in the fourth quarter.

Like I've said before, I'm not surprised we lost. We need time to gel and Tennessee is a legit team that's a QB away from being a top contender.