Week 2 GDT: Colts @ Titans

ttitansfan4life

11 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

Sure, but in order to do so he would need to play like he did against Cleveland consistently and everybody was just fine with that performance.

Personally I wasn't totally comfortable with it. Because it didn't feel like it could be replicated. Those long pass plays. 

Was happy. Not comfortable.  

5 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Personally I wasn't totally comfortable with it. Because it didn't feel like it could be replicated. Those long pass plays. 

Was happy. Not comfortable.  

Yeah, I don’t actually think he was that much worse yesterday than he was against Cleveland (he was worse for sure though). We just rode the run game better and Cleveland bit harder on the play action. Well over half of his yards last week came on easy throws that just weren’t there yesterday.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

For those that care. 

I know I kept mentioning the pass to Davis last week... and while that was a little high, this one was more catchable.  He's a rookie, so I'm not holding him to CD standards yet... but he could have definitely caught that ball. 

Did anyone see Agholor's catch late in the game yesterday?   Agholor is no #1... but he's making those plays for Wentz.  We need our guys to do the same for Mariota. 

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000001055543/Nelson-Agholor-gets-UP-for-16-yard-catch-in-open-space

3 hours ago, KingTitan said:

As  I expected, the local radio coverage of yesterday's game is totally different from the fan reaction.  
They acknowledge the play of Marcus, but also went into the total team failure. 
1. Going away from Derrick
2. Defense giving up crucial plays
3. Missed makeable FG.
4. Offensive Line play
5. Poor clock management from HC.
6. WR drops
7. Poor personnel usage. (Humphries, Walker, putting in Dion Lewis)
8. QB play

If any of these 8 things are removed from the list, we win this tight game. 

I forgot about Santos' 45 yarder, but its a similar list to what I posted yesterday.  It was a total team effort. 

I know the onus is on Marcus since he's the leader.  He needs to be more confident... for instance... that 4th down waste of time on the penultimate drive, he should have taken it upon himself and called the TO as soon as Indy didn't jump... instead they all just looked at the sideline the last 20 seconds.  They haven't said who made the call to spike it on that last 4th, but if it was a Smith/Vrabel call, Mariota should have overruled them.  It would have taken maybe an extra 2-3 seconds... but it's something he should know to do, even if the coaches don't. 

It's week 2... in another offensive system, with 40% of his expected starting OL missing... and the new "All Pro" RG playing badly.  Let's give the team time to gel.  By the time Lewan comes back, I expect the team to start clicking on all cylinders.  Other than Marcus, I can't think of anyone else on offense that we can least afford to lose other than Lewan (although Henry is trying real hard to make a case)

3 hours ago, TitanRedd said:

Honestly you guys are over reaching on Adoree & before I’m crucified hear me out. Adoree is a conundrum; he hasn’t ascended to elite status no where near a shutdown corner, but in a passing league he’s a solid corner. I mean aside from the bonehead PI penalty he still was solid. Against Cleveland not spectacular but solid. I’ll resign Adoree but it’ll be a short deal no more than 7 mill annually. At the end of the day he’s not trash like Eli Apple or Bradley Roby or Vernon Hargreaves or Morris Claiborne. He’s a solid cover corner that has the tools to be great just not the IQ.

Getting caught up in hypotheticals.  In what planet, do you think Adoree is going to agree to a 7M/contract before testing FA?  His 5th year option will be 10M+ (I don't know how high over 10M... but 19 CBs are making 10M+ this year, so I'm sure the average of the top 25 is quite a bit over 7M... maybe 12.5M?)

He's going to request a contract that at least comes close to that average.  He may end up in the 7M range... but he's not going to accept that before testing FA... and seeing if a team like the Raiders who will surely love his speed and athleticism... won't offer him more. 

53 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

I know I kept mentioning the pass to Davis last week... and while that was a little high, this one was more catchable.  He's a rookie, so I'm not holding him to CD standards yet... but he could have definitely caught that ball. 

Did anyone see Agholor's catch late in the game yesterday?   Agholor is no #1... but he's making those plays for Wentz.  We need our guys to do the same for Mariota. 

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000001055543/Nelson-Agholor-gets-UP-for-16-yard-catch-in-open-space

I forgot about Santos' 45 yarder, but its a similar list to what I posted yesterday.  It was a total team effort. 

I know the onus is on Marcus since he's the leader.  He needs to be more confident... for instance... that 4th down waste of time on the penultimate drive, he should have taken it upon himself and called the TO as soon as Indy didn't jump... instead they all just looked at the sideline the last 20 seconds.  They haven't said who made the call to spike it on that last 4th, but if it was a Smith/Vrabel call, Mariota should have overruled them.  It would have taken maybe an extra 2-3 seconds... but it's something he should know to do, even if the coaches don't. 

It's week 2... in another offensive system, with 40% of his expected starting OL missing... and the new "All Pro" RG playing badly.  Let's give the team time to gel.  By the time Lewan comes back, I expect the team to start clicking on all cylinders.  Other than Marcus, I can't think of anyone else on offense that we can least afford to lose other than Lewan (although Henry is trying real hard to make a case)

Getting caught up in hypotheticals.  In what planet, do you think Adoree is going to agree to a 7M/contract before testing FA?  His 5th year option will be 10M+ (I don't know how high over 10M... but 19 CBs are making 10M+ this year, so I'm sure the average of the top 25 is quite a bit over 7M... maybe 12.5M?)

He's going to request a contract that at least comes close to that average.  He may end up in the 7M range... but he's not going to accept that before testing FA... and seeing if a team like the Raiders who will surely love his speed and athleticism... won't offer him more. 

I said I wouldn’t pay him more than 7 mill annually not what the titans would my opinion he’s a 2nd tier CB 

@ragevsuall17 Agholor doesn't make those catches regularly. In fact he drops easy passes frequently. That's very anecdotal evidence. Taking a one play sample and saying our players need to do that everytime isn't how it works.

I could make the argument that Tajae Sharpe made that play for him on the sideline yesterday. AJ Brown made a ton of plays after the catch for Mariota last week. He has guys making plays, but not a lot of players make big plays at every opportunity. Mariota is holding our playmakers back and it is very rarely the opposite.

I would like to see Brown catch that ball the majority of the time, but it doesn't remove blame from Mariota for what happened in the 4th quarter yesterday. He was atrocious.

Also, Mariota did say it was his call to spike it. The majority of his issues aren't the bad ball placement. They've been mental processing.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

So the real question hasn’t been asked... How many more performances like this before Mariota is replaced by Tannehill? 

Depends.  I'm thinking at least two in a row where each results in a loss.  Unless that second one is next week.  In which case, three.

seems like a lot of people have been complaining about humphries not being used and i’m not sure why. we literally talked about this after the browns game- it’s either this or leaving him off the field entirely until lewan’s back. of all the dumb things the coaching staff pulled yesterday this isn’t really one of them

1 hour ago, TitanSS said:

@ragevsuall17 Agholor doesn't make those catches regularly. In fact he drops easy passes frequently. That's very anecdotal evidence. Taking a one play sample and saying our players need to do that everytime isn't how it works.

I could make the argument that Tajae Sharpe made that play for him on the sideline yesterday. AJ Brown made a ton of plays after the catch for Mariota last week. He has guys making plays, but not a lot of players make big plays at every opportunity. Mariota is holding our playmakers back and it is very rarely the opposite.

I would like to see Brown catch that ball the majority of the time, but it doesn't remove blame from Mariota for what happened in the 4th quarter yesterday. He was atrocious.

Also, Mariota did say it was his call to spike it. The majority of his issues aren't the bad ball placement. They've been mental processing.

Every time?!?!  How about just once in a while?  Agholor is a 3rd or 4th WR in that offense this year.  How many times do you not think Jefferey or Ertz have helped Wentz out.  Davis has gone up and gotten passes from Mariota... but it's far from a common occurance.  Yet every game around the league, you see guys making play after play for their QB.  This Agholor one stood out as I saw it live last night... thinking if that was MAriota, it probably would have been dropped... and he would have been called a bad QB for missing a wide open WR so badly. 

33 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Every time?!?!  How about just once in a while?  Agholor is a 3rd or 4th WR in that offense this year.  How many times do you not think Jefferey or Ertz have helped Wentz out.  Davis has gone up and gotten passes from Mariota... but it's far from a common occurance.  Yet every game around the league, you see guys making play after play for their QB.  This Agholor one stood out as I saw it live last night... thinking if that was MAriota, it probably would have been dropped... and he would have been called a bad QB for missing a wide open WR so badly. 

FWIW, Agholor dropped a much, much easier catch on a really beautiful throw down the sideline that probably would've ended up being a TD and won the game for them. So the reverse holds true as well, receivers screw up once in a while all around the league, for pretty much all quarterbacks. 

Also, it's impressive the way he elevated, but it's easier to do so when you're all by yourself on a touch pass than it it is for a WR just coming out of his break with a man on his hip to pull in a ball thrown with velocity and that high. Especially for a rookie in his 2nd game, with the game on the line.

• Like 1