Josh Allen [QB; Wyoming]

CWood21

I like Josh Allen a lot more than guys like Paxton Lynch, Hackenberg, Osweiler, Boller, Kiser, Gabbert, Josh Freeman.

But he ain’t a top-10 pick. He’s best off going to bottom half.

Ideal situations: Chargers, Steelers, Jacksonville, Minnesota. If one of these guys traded up to take him? Fine. Similar to the Eagles for Wentz deal.

Cardinals are intriguing if they can sign a couple OL and WRs. Broncos would be great too but via trade down/trade up from 2nd. 

1 hour ago, One Punch Man said:

I like Josh Allen a lot more than guys like Paxton Lynch, Hackenberg, Osweiler, Boller, Kiser, Gabbert, Josh Freeman.

Ideal situations: Chargers, Steelers, Jacksonville, Minnesota. If one of these guys traded up to take him? Fine. Similar to the Eagles for Wentz deal.

Cardinals are intriguing if they can sign a couple OL and WRs. Broncos would be great too but via trade down/trade up from 2nd. 

If I was the Chargers, I would take him in the mid rounds so he can learn from King Philip for a few-5 years.

On 2/22/2018 at 2:33 PM, One Punch Man said:

Could Defilippo do with him what he did with Wentz?

21 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Josh Allen will not be available in the mid-rounds.  You can quote me on that.

Josh Allen will not be available after the #2 pick in the draft.  I'm calling it right now, Sam Darnold and Josh Allen will go #1 and #2 in the draft in some order.  If the Browns don't take Allen #1 overall, someone will trade up for him or the Giants will take him with the #2 overall pick.

Guys with his talent don't make it past the #1 or #2 pick in the draft.  His stock went up after the senior bowl.  Just watch as it explodes over the next few weeks.  He'll light up the combine both in terms of athletic testing but also throwing.  And then his pro day should be impressive.  Plus we all know he has the best measurables.

I'll be interested to see if the Browns go with the safe pick in Sam Darnold or roll the dice on Josh Allen's potential.

3 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Could Defilippo do with him what he did with Wentz?

I don’t think so, in that DeFilippo had 2 years with Wentz. I  think Wentz had a bit moxie, brought more immediately to the table in regards to intangibles. Sort of let him get away with his rawness. 

If DeFilippo had 3 years with Allen? Without a doubt. But DeFilippo is going to be a HC after this year. 

43 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

This was everything  hoped for and more.

I am terrified this is who the Bills are after. He's a senior which is a check mark for McDermott and his traits are very comparable to Newton who Bean had a hand in drafting. 

I don't think that you should be terrified. Allen is a legit prospect. I don't know that his accuracy issues are really any more damning the other quarterback issues. This is a good, but still very flawed class. No, the accuracy issues shouldn't be ignored, but I don't know that they are the end all be-all either. Matt Stafford was 57% in college. I get that some people weigh the accuracy issues heavier than they do the issues of the other quarterback prospects, and that's fine, but it shouldn't completely unravel him as a prospect either. If every quarterback in this class flopped save one, and that one was Josh Allen, nobody should really be surprised, because he absolutely has that talent. You can be surprised that the other guys flopped, but there's no reason to be surprised that Allen pans out. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I don't think that you should be terrified. Allen is a legit prospect. I don't know that his accuracy issues are really any more damning the other quarterback issues. This is a good, but still very flawed class. No, the accuracy issues shouldn't be ignored, but I don't know that they are the end all be-all either. Matt Stafford was 57% in college. I get that some people weigh the accuracy issues heavier than they do the issues of the other quarterback prospects, and that's fine, but it shouldn't completely unravel him as a prospect either. If every quarterback in this class flopped save one, and that one was Josh Allen, nobody should really be surprised, because he absolutely has that talent. You can be surprised that the other guys flopped, but there's no reason to be surprised that Allen pans out. 

It's still going to be an issue, no matter which way you slice it.  If you can't consistently move the chains, you're not going to be successful in the NFL.  He's not Christian Hackenberg, but it's more than enough to make you worry about it.  You point out the Matthew Stafford completion percentage, but you saw progression from his first to final years at Georgia.  He completed 53% of his passes as a freshman, and by his junior year he completed 61% of his passes.  That's an 8% increase.  Josh Allen's completion percentage the last two years was 56% in both years.  That's a red flag.  It's enough that it should hold against him pretty heavily.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

It's still going to be an issue, no matter which way you slice it.  If you can't consistently move the chains, you're not going to be successful in the NFL.  He's not Christian Hackenberg, but it's more than enough to make you worry about it.  You point out the Matthew Stafford completion percentage, but you saw progression from his first to final years at Georgia.  He completed 53% of his passes as a freshman, and by his junior year he completed 61% of his passes.  That's an 8% increase.  Josh Allen's completion percentage the last two years was 56% in both years.  That's a red flag.  It's enough that it should hold against him pretty heavily.

Absolutely, and I'm only using Stafford because he's a recent notable example of the sub 60 quarterback. But I'd agree the scenarios aren't the same. One of my biggest issues with Allen is the lack of progression, so I'm there with you in that regard. He's a highly polarized results prospect, no doubt, and if he's out of the league in 4 years I'm no more surprised then if he's the only one who's an all pro.

I just don't think any fanbase should be terrified of selecting him, or thinking the next 5 years are already over if you do. He's got legit franchise quarterback traits and he can get there. While I don't view it as likely as the other quarterbacks, I think that I just don't see it as that much lower either. I don't think those guys are twice as more likely to make it or anything, I mean

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Absolutely, and I'm only using Stafford because he's a recent notable example of the sub 60 quarterback. But I'd agree the scenarios aren't the same. One of my biggest issues with Allen is the lack of progression, so I'm there with you in that regard. He's a highly polarized results prospect, no doubt, and if he's out of the league in 4 years I'm no more surprised then if he's the only one who's an all pro.

I just don't think any fanbase should be terrified of selecting him, or thinking the next 5 years are already over if you do. He's got legit franchise quarterback traits and he can get there. While I don't view it as likely as the other quarterbacks, I think that I just don't see it as that much lower either. I don't think those guys are twice as more likely to make it or anything, I mean

I mean, there's a laundry list of QB prospects who had sub-60% completion percentage in college and their success in the NFL is staggeringly low.  It's a pretty good indicator of success at the next level.  Players who are inaccurate in college don't magically become accurate.  Sure, you can improve accuracy a tad when you improve your mechanics, but it doesn't overhaul the issue.

And it's not about being terrorized, it's about the cost of making that deal.  The pair of Bills' 1st round picks probably gets you into the 4-6 range in terms of trade value chart.  But would a team like the Jets or Broncos be willing to make that kind of deal down?  Probably not.  They're going to have to overpay to make that kind of move up the board.  That's a TON to give up on a guy with enough question marks.  It's one thing investing the 21st pick into Josh Allen, it's another essentially mortgaging your future on him.

Archived