Josh Allen [QB; Wyoming]

CWood21

16 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Josh Allen has 1 question mark: Accuracy.

Uhh No.

He also stares down targets. He makes awful decisions. He struggles to throw on the run to his left. He's mobile but has stiff hips and gets awkard trying to reset on the move. Doesn't slide and takes crushing hits.

50 minutes ago, BrownLeader said:

Uhh No.

He also stares down targets. He makes awful decisions. He struggles to throw on the run to his left. He's mobile but has stiff hips and gets awkard trying to reset on the move. Doesn't slide and takes crushing hits.

I saw a video of Allen during the 2017 season and had a "who's this kid" moment. Why? Because of the arm. He can move just fine from what I saw and throw just fine heading left or right. Accuracy, footwork and decision making.....those are coaching points and I agree with Packerraymond - with the right coaches the kid could be special. Why? Cause he's got an NFL arm.

There's been alot of QB Heisman winners who "wash out" (relatively) because of arm strength. Many make for decent backups - cause they have other areas covered - but they cant slice a ball thru the air. This kid can. Why's he inaccurate? I've no honest clue....but I'm figuring with somebody to reign him in and actually COACH him with repetitions and training that (it appears) is missing to a degree in todays NFL (due to CBA restraints) - I'm thinking he could find a home in the NFL. 

On 2/26/2018 at 10:42 PM, Iamcanadian said:

Judging based on older QB's, who played under different rules is a complete waste of time. The NFL is a passer league and the rules have been bent by the league to make it ridiculously easy to pass the ball in the current era.

College QB's have no excuses for a very low accuracy rate, no matter where they played, it is a huge question mark and a huge red flag for Allen and some team will really have to believe they can correct this flaw or Allen will not be a franchise QB. As I said previously, a GM will have to explain to his owner, why he wasted a top 10 pick on a player with a huge red flag if Allen flops and it will likely cost him his job, so unless this draft class is terribly weak, which I think is possible, Allen won't be taken top 10, especially in a draft that has 2 or 3 more QB's projected to be 1st rounders after the top 3 go!!!.

Now if this draft class is terribly weak, then all bets are off, as team will be desperate to find any talent worth drafting.

I love his potential, but I cannot see a top 10 drafting team taking the risk, he will go round 1, but far more likely in the 15 to 25 range. Even Mayfield is projected to go around 10 to 14 and there is no way Allen get drafted higher than Mayfield.

I don't really get the significance of this.  "Huge red flag" or not, a GM who ties himself to a high 1st round pick QB isn't going to survive that guy busting either way.  There's no explaining to an owner "but i deserve to keep my job because my bust of a QB pick didn't have a huge red flag!!!"  It just doesn't happen.  A GM ties their fate to whatever 1st round QB they pick, regardless of how risky or safe they are.

A bust on a 1st round QB is 99% of the time, getting you fired.  A "hit" on a 1st round QB tends to buy a GM many many years of security.  Thems the rules of the game.  And when you're the GM of a bad team that keeps losing because the QB play isn't good enough, you can only sit on the sidelines so long before your hand is forced and you have to choose a Your Guy, for better or worse.

Which is how Josh Allen could very plausibly go in the Top-10, or even higher.  Ultimately, it just takes one QB needy GM to see the upside and decide that's the best guy to hitch his wagon to.  Drafting a Top-10 QB is always risky business for a GM's career no matter what.  There are very few opportunities to make that pick "safely".  eg. Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield all have bust potential of their own.  There's no Andrew Luck here.

19 hours ago, Leader said:

I saw a video of Allen during the 2017 season and had a "who's this kid" moment. Why? Because of the arm. He can move just fine from what I saw and throw just fine heading left or right. Accuracy, footwork and decision making.....those are coaching points and I agree with Packerraymond - with the right coaches the kid could be special. Why? Cause he's got an NFL arm.

There's been alot of QB Heisman winners who "wash out" (relatively) because of arm strength. Many make for decent backups - cause they have other areas covered - but they cant slice a ball thru the air. This kid can. Why's he inaccurate? I've no honest clue....but I'm figuring with somebody to reign him in and actually COACH him with repetitions and training that (it appears) is missing to a degree in todays NFL (due to CBA restraints) - I'm thinking he could find a home in the NFL. 

His arm isnt just an nfl arm.  Its a generational arm.  Mahomes may get a tad more zip but Allen can put the football anywhere on the field he wants from any platform.  Footwork has to be fixed bc i think thats the biggest part of the accuracy issues.  But he moves so well at his size and that arm is so damn special.  Ive said it before teams have to figure out if hes Ben Roethlisbeger or not.

15 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

His arm isnt just an nfl arm.  Its a generational arm.  Mahomes may get a tad more zip but Allen can put the football anywhere on the field he wants from any platform.  Footwork has to be fixed bc i think thats the biggest part of the accuracy issues.  But he moves so well at his size and that arm is so damn special.  Ive said it before teams have to figure out if hes Ben Roethlisbeger or not.

It's that much tougher to figure out the answer to that last question, because he's coming out so comparatively early/inexperienced in his development.  You're talking about a raw kid who wasn't even really on the radar being polished as a top QB prospect until very late to begin with.  Who is then coming out with only 2 years of experience under his belt.  Other more "raw" big arm guys like Roethlisberger, Stafford, Cutler...they were coming out with at least an extra year or two of experience (and tape to evaluate).  Developmentally, it feels like he's coming out as basically a sophomore almost.  Well before that developmental trajectory arrow has stabilized much at all for a QB.

He's going to absolutely make or break someone's career.  :/

27 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Paxton Lynch 2.0? 

No.

You're comparing an overly tall statue with slow feet and an even slower arm, playing in an inflationary system...to a mobile guy with a quick live arm playing in a far more sophisticated system.  It's painfully obvious that these two prospects aren't remotely similar, if you just watch them...rather than scouting their underwear model measurements.

Say what you want, he keeps getting mocked on NFL.com as a possible top 5 pick, so something is impressing guys who are paid big bucks to decide on where to draft a guy.

I do not know if he will go that high, but then, everybody laughed when Chicago took Trubisky with the #2 overall pick and he looked pretty solid when he started late in the season!

I mean, we can all see he was terribly inaccurate last year, yet, he keeps getting lots of buzz about being drafted pretty high, so I will wait till his pro day, to see what a couple of months under a pro QB coach has taught him, before I throw in the towel.

Good draftniks always keep an open mind till all the facts are in!!!  

On 3/1/2018 at 6:24 AM, PapaShogun said:

Paxton Lynch 2.0? 

God no.  Lynch had warts similar to Allen's - but nowhere near the ceiling Allen has.   Allen's floor is similar (bust), but the arm is generational-level strength-wise, and the skill profile is better (faster).

I worry that he won't improve enough in anticipation/placement and reading/pocket awareness to succeed - but the elite ceiling is there.  I say the above praying DEN can get Rosen or Darnold ahead of him (Elway is a GM who will go after the classic mold, so don't see Mayfield over Allen), so take it FWIW.

The thing about Allen that is so enticing is the fact that he was 6'1", 187lbs when he graduated high school, into the man he is today and that may have an awful lot to do with getting his body straightened around, could be that is why pro scouts, HC's and GM's are so interested in this kid.

4 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

The thing about Allen that is so enticing is the fact that he was 6'1", 187lbs when he graduated high school, into the man he is today and that may have an awful lot to do with getting his body straightened around, could be that is why pro scouts, HC's and GM's are so interested in this kid.

Interesting point. But that would make more sense if he was clumsy or looked awkward moving because of the change in his center of gravity. But he is pretty nimble and looks fairly fluid.

He is just an inaccurate QB. That'll be part of who he is. I expect him to play well at times and make awful throws at other times. 

11 hours ago, candyman93 said:

I don’t beleive the Josh Allen at 1 talk at all. It would make more sense to just stick with Kizer over Allen.

You likely are like most Jets fans on this forum, we all don't want to believe our team likes Allen. 

Allen is getting drafted in the top 6 by somebody.

Archived