POTD Thursday 9/7: Road Trips!

LETSGOBROWNIES

Do you take road trips?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Do you take road trips?

• Yes, regularly for my vacations and I love them.
    • Yes, but only because I can't afford airfare.
    • Yes, but only because I'm afraid to fly.
    • No, I had to as a kid and now I'm scared for life.
    • No, I only travel by air.
    • Not yet, but I want to in the future.
    • No, it sounds awful.
    • What's a road trip?

First, I'm FROM North Dakota.  Living in Nebraska now.  Only thing around Dickinson is Teddy Roosevelt stuff.  If that's already your plan, stick to it.  North Platte area of Nebraska is close to Lake McAughnehy (don't know spelling).  It's an awesome lake.  Don't know any restaurants there though.

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Minneapolis, MN: Staying one night, a restaurant and maybe something to see in the Brooklyn Center area. @Heimdallr 

There really isn't anything up in Brooklyn Center other than typical suburb stuff.

If you are looking for a brewery, Utepils would be my choice. Very chill, very kid friendly and easy to get to. If you want more of an experience, Surly is very impressive.

For restaurants you will want to go south to North Loop / Northeast / Warehouse District. That is the trendy area with all the new restaurants. Lots to choose from. 

If you are looking for something to do, the Walker Art Center, Loring Park, Sisyphus Brewing and Cafe Lurcat are all right next to each other which is a good time. Or, depending on when you are in town, a Twins game is always a fun way to sit outside and have a beer even if you don't care about baseball. 

2 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

There really isn't anything up in Brooklyn Center other than typical suburb stuff.

If you are looking for a brewery, Utepils would be my choice. Very chill, very kid friendly and easy to get to. If you want more of an experience, Surly is very impressive.

Excellent, I’d imagine we’ll hit one of these.

For restaurants you will want to go south to North Loop / Northeast / Warehouse District. That is the trendy area with all the new restaurants. Lots to choose from. 

Thank you.

If you are looking for something to do, the Walker Art Center, Loring Park, Sisyphus Brewing and Cafe Lurcat are all right next to each other which is a good time. Or, depending on when you are in town, a Twins game is always a fun way to sit outside and have a beer even if you don't care about baseball. 

I’m a Tribe fan, over the years I’ve probably watched the Twins play 100 times lol.  Great suggestions, thanks again!

11 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

First, I'm FROM North Dakota.  Living in Nebraska now.  Only thing around Dickinson is Teddy Roosevelt stuff.  If that's already your plan, stick to it.  North Platte area of Nebraska is close to Lake McAughnehy (don't know spelling).  It's an awesome lake.  Don't know any restaurants there though.

We’re thinking of stopping in Kearney and checking out the cranes.  I heard that’s a sight to see.  

Can you confirm?

10 minutes ago, MathMan said:

Road Tripping from Madison to Florida with just 1 stop in Tennessee.

It's fun EXCEPT for driving through Atlanta.

But that was when some crackhead burnt the freeway down.

You live in Madison?

Help a brotha out, where should we get lunch when we’re driving through?

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

You live in Madison?

Help a brotha out, where should we get lunch when we’re driving through?

some of the places i like are

west side: 

Bonefish Grill (good apps/drinks/fish)

Swagat (indian)

Chick fil A (fast food)

downtown:

Kabul (afgan)

Ians pizza (fun pizza by the slice)

Parthenon(gyros)

verona area:

Pasquals (mexican)

jordandal cookhouse (farm fresh)

38 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Seattle, WA.  Staying 2 nights here so we have some time. Love National Parks and want to see the coolest stuff in our limited time.  Planning on seeing Mt. Rainer on our way to...

Portland, OR.  Again, 2 nights and willing to drive a bit to see stuff. Restaurants, sights, anything would be appreciated. @domepatrol91

What dates? You got that nailed down?

Edit: I see now... end of the month 

1 hour ago, MathMan said:

some of the places i like are

west side: 

Bonefish Grill (good apps/drinks/fish)

Swagat (indian)

Chick fil A (fast food)

downtown:

Kabul (afgan)

Ians pizza (fun pizza by the slice)

Parthenon(gyros)

verona area:

Pasquals (mexican)

jordandal cookhouse (farm fresh)

Agreed on Kabul, Pasquals, and telling tourists to go to Ian's because it's something you should do. Otherwise...

29b.jpg

@LETSGOBROWNIES, you planning on just driving through, or do you actually want to stop and sit down? If you wanna stop and sit down (which is what I'd recommend without knowing your schedule because Madison is an awesome food town), here's a few non-ethnic places to get you started:

Capital square area:

1. Cooper's Tavern - English style food, literally every beer in existence, football pub
2. The Old Fashioned - Best cheese curds in the city, and I will fight anyone who argues otherwise. The rest of the place is meh, and, ironically enough, their old fashions aren't really any good
3. Graze - Farm to table type place. The chef who owns it won the Iron Chef, he has 2 places, one is a 5-star restaurant and the other is this place, and the food is just as good.

Ian's pizza is an institution, but tbh unless you're wasted it's just okay. For good pizza, I'd go with Glass Nickel or Salvatore's.

Campus area/slightly west of campus
4. Dotty's Dumpling Dowry - Best burger in the city
5. Mickies Dairy Bar - Serves breakfast, so probably not an option if you're traveling through and are coming in around lunch time. But if you get here early enough, get a scrambler.

East of the capital

7. Madison Sourdough - As the name implies, they make their own bread. Get the grilled cheese sandwich.
8. The Weary Traveler - The only acceptable challenger to Dotty's for best burger in Madison is the bad breath burger. I'd say this also captures the Madison vibe.

There's also a ton of really good ethnic food places if you've got any preferences.

If I had to name just one spot, Dotty's is probably it. You're right by the campus, it's an institution here, and the food is really good. 

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

We’re thinking of stopping in Kearney and checking out the cranes.  I heard that’s a sight to see.  

Can you confirm?

I've heard my cousins talking about them.  I love about an hour away in Grand Island and I don't know this area myself.

15 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

So now there's nobody in North Dakota.

You know how soccer does relegation and the bottom 3 teams get sent to the minors?

We should do that with states. Every Presidential election, we take 3 states, kick them out, and give them 4 years to get their **** together before we let them back in.

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Agreed on Kabul, Pasquals, and telling tourists to go to Ian's because it's something you should do. Otherwise...

29b.jpg

@LETSGOBROWNIES, you planning on just driving through, or do you actually want to stop and sit down? If you wanna stop and sit down (which is what I'd recommend without knowing your schedule because Madison is an awesome food town), here's a few non-ethnic places to get you started:

Capital square area:

1. Cooper's Tavern - English style food, literally every beer in existence, football pub
2. The Old Fashioned - Best cheese curds in the city, and I will fight anyone who argues otherwise. The rest of the place is meh, and, ironically enough, their old fashions aren't really any good
3. Graze - Farm to table type place. The chef who owns it won the Iron Chef, he has 2 places, one is a 5-star restaurant and the other is this place, and the food is just as good.

Ian's pizza is an institution, but tbh unless you're wasted it's just okay. For good pizza, I'd go with Glass Nickel or Salvatore's.

Campus area/slightly west of campus
4. Dotty's Dumpling Dowry - Best burger in the city
5. Mickies Dairy Bar - Serves breakfast, so probably not an option if you're traveling through and are coming in around lunch time. But if you get here early enough, get a scrambler.

East of the capital

7. Madison Sourdough - As the name implies, they make their own bread. Get the grilled cheese sandwich.
8. The Weary Traveler - The only acceptable challenger to Dotty's for best burger in Madison is the bad breath burger. I'd say this also captures the Madison vibe.

There's also a ton of really good ethnic food places if you've got any preferences.

If I had to name just one spot, Dotty's is probably it. You're right by the campus, it's an institution here, and the food is really good. 

i appreciate the idea myself, lol 

i have kids so i dont often go to the fun places

Archived