Jalen Ramsey?

Slateman

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/redskins-wont-pursue-jalen-ramsey-and-makes-sense

Do the Redskins have a need at cornerback? Yes. Josh Norman has had a tough start to the season and Quinton Dunbar has already missed a game with a leg injury. Ramsey would come in and help the group right away.

That said, there’s more to the story.

Since Jacksonville emerged as a strong defense in 2017, Ramsey also has emerged as one of the most provocative and outspoken players in the league. It was one thing when he called most of the quarterbacks in the league bad, but things took a turn when he got into a shouting match with his head coach last Sunday. Jags boss Doug Marrone might have been wrong, but yelling at a head coach during a game rarely ends well.

Add in the fact that Ramsey is in the last year of his rookie deal and next year will play under the fifth-year option, and it’s easy to see the star cornerback wanting a new contract. In fact that seems nearly inevitable.

Ramsey has been vocal about teams he would like to land on, and the Redskins never made the list. He shares an agent with Landon Collins but that doesn’t seem likely to alter his prospects.

There’s also the matter of compensation.

If the Jaguars even do trade Ramsey, they will want a lot back. Whether they want to admit it or not, the Redskins are working through a rebuild.

The organization absolutely should not be giving up draft picks at this point, even for a talent like Ramsey. Keep in mind too that Washington already lost their 2020 second round pick as part of the deal to move up and select Montez Sweat near the back end of the first round in 2019. Another thing to remember, with the big money spent to bring in Collins, it seems unlikely the Redskins will net more compensatory draft picks this offseason.

So I disagree with this. A lot. The Redskins secondary is bad. Frankly, it's the biggest reason why the defense is struggling. I know everyone wants to bag on Manusky, but there isn't much he can do when he basically has to give both starting corners some sort of help. Factor in Landon Collins not being super useful in coverage, and you've limited the defense's options. Long term, this team has no options at CB that you couldn't replace in the later rounds of the draft, or via a cheap deal in free agency. 

The Skins have the cap space to do this. Hell, they have the cap space to lock him up long term.

More over, Ramsey is exactly the style of play this defense needs in order to have flexibility to blitz and scheme.

Again, I know Manusky is not well regarded here, but even if you dump him, the next DC is going to have nothing in the secondary to work with. 

Bigger question is do they want to cough up the compensation. No second round pick this year makes it difficult. I have to imagine that the Jags want more than a 1st rounder. I don't know if the Redskins have enough to make this deal happen, but they really should try. Ramsey is better than any player the Skins will draft next year. I'd offer their 2019 first rounder, Trent Williams, and a 2021 third round pick. 

It’s time to be trading away expensive veteran players, not trading for them. 

@naptownskinsfan did a breakdown of the roster in a different thread that was both sobering and depressing. Sort of brought home the bottom line that we have a ton of both immediate needs and “near future” needs. We can’t be splurging on big-ticket items at the front end of the rebuilding process. 

And I know there will be people who will say “well Jalen Ramsey is still young, and he’s likely better than any player we’ll get in the 1st round, so what’s the harm in trading a 1st for him?” But as I’ve said before, it’s not that simple. You’re not just giving up the draft pick — you’re also giving up all the cap space you’ll burn when you give him a huge contract to stay around. 

You have two assets — a high 1st round pick and a $20M/year contract — that you’re using on acquiring one player. You could split that up and use each avenue separately to bring on two players. Draft Chase Young and sign Amari Cooper. Draft Jerry Jeudy and sign Yannick Ngakoue. Draft Andrew Thomas and sign Byron Jones. Whatever your pleasure, the point is that you’re basically paying double the acquisition cost to trade for a star player and pay him a market value contract. 

Ramsey is great. But the Redskins are not. If they were close to the throne and he was the missing piece, maybe you could justify that sort of splurge. They aren’t. And you can’t. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

We shouldn’t let this lame duck regime be trading away assets the next front office will need to rebuild the roster.  Pass.

The next front office? The one selected by Snyder? What makes you think they're going to pick someone better than Ramsey? 

8 minutes ago, Slateman said:

The next front office? The one selected by Snyder? What makes you think they're going to pick someone better than Ramsey? 

Last 10 Redskins 1st round picks:

Brian Orakpo (4x Pro Bowl)

Trent Williams (7x Pro Bowl)

Ryan Kerrigan (4x Pro Bowl)

Robert Griffin III (1x Pro Bowl; OROY)

Brandon Scherff (2x Pro Bowl)

Josh Doctson

Jonathan Allen

Daron Payne

Dwayne Haskins

Montez Sweat

That’s a pretty good track record with 1st rounders. Doctson was obviously a straight up bust, and RGIII ended up that way after he got ruined. Far too soon to tell on Haskins or Sweat. Otherwise, that’s 4 legit Pro Bowlers and 2 young DL who appear to be well on their way to that status. 

They’ve been bad at a lot of things over the last decade (or three), but picking out talent in the 1st round has actually been one of their stronger suits. They haven’t hit on any true superstars, that’s a legitimate knock, but not too many teams run a 75% success rate in the 1st round for an extended period.  

50 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

Would not do that.

What I would do, is swap 1st rounders

Trade them a 3rd & Trent Williams.

For Ramsey

If we assume (based on the current FPI projections) that the Skins end up picking 5th, and the Jags end up picking 8th — that deal would be treating the difference in value between Ramsey and Trent as a mid-2nd round pick, based on the newer pick value charts. 

In other words, that would be the equivalent of a trade of Trent and a mid-2nd for Ramsey. 

I doubt that gets the Jags to bite, especially because they’re hoping to finally have Cam Robinson back at LT in the next week or two. I don’t think it’s that far off, but I don’t think it would be a strong contender given Ramsey’s youth and superb ability. 

1 hour ago, Slateman said:

You guys overvalue William's so freaking much ...

Slate, I really think it’s only you that thinks he doesn’t have serious value. I’m not trying to knock you dude, I get why you’ve come to that conclusion but there’s plenty of people inside the league that believe they will get a first for him. Maybe they don’t but I think the worst they’ll get is a second and a fourth.