Week 1 GDT - Philadelphia Eagles @ Washington Redskins

MikeT14

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

I just want to be good again. It's been almost 30 years. I don't care how they do it. 

Well it's hard for me to believe you don't care how we do it because you constantly blame the system we run, which is a 3-4/4-3 hybrid where the players play more like a 4-3 D than a 3-4 look. We rarely if ever two-gap like we used to under Haz.

The talent we lost and injuries we endured from 2011 & 2012 were more the issue with our D and Shanahan/McCloughan's inability to add more talent from the draft or free agency from 2012-2016 than the scheme.

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Well it's hard for me to believe you don't care how we do it because you constantly blame the system we run, which is a 3-4/4-3 hybrid where the players play more like a 4-3 D than a 3-4 look. We rarely if ever two-gap like we used to under Haz.

The talent we lost and injuries we endured from 2011 & 2012 were more the issue with our D and Shanahan/McCloughan's inability to add more talent from the draft or free agency from 2012-2016 than the scheme.

Haz was awful. I won't listen to you trying to defend him still. 

12 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Haz was awful. I won't listen to you trying to defend him still. 

He wasn't when we had talent in 2011 before 2/3 of our starters on the DL got hurt, before Orakpo got hurt and before Atogwe, Landry and Wilson got hurt. You can continue to ignore that major injuries derailed what would have been at worst a top 15 defense from 2011 until today but it is what it is, the truth is that injuries derailed our defense and Shanahan/McCloughan did not replace them.

I mean, do you realize that Cofield is only 33 and could still be our staring NT. Bowen, Carriker and Landry are all 32. All of these guys could still be on our D today if they didn't have their serious injuries or in Landry's case get banned for PEDs and we would have them on our D as well as the draft picks and free agents we've added over the last few years.

13 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

He wasn't when we had talent in 2011 before 2/3 of our starters on the DL got hurt, before Orakpo got hurt and before Atogwe, Landry and Wilson got hurt. You can continue to ignore that major injuries derailed what would have been at worst a top 15 defense from 2011 until today but it is what it is, the truth is that injuries derailed our defense and Shanahan/McCloughan did not replace them.

I mean, do you realize that Cofield is only 33 and could still be our staring NT. Bowen, Carriker and Landry are all 32. All of these guys could still be on our D today if they didn't have their serious injuries or in Landry's case get banned for PEDs and we would have them on our D as well as the draft picks and free agents we've added over the last few years.

They ranked lower then 20th in almost every catagory that'd matter in 2011. If that was "he was good" then you need to reset your bar for acceptable.

Haz was trash.

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Is it coaching or guy's just not executing?

Number of plays executed on the Eagles side of the field (excluding special teams): 22 (+1 when the game was out of reach)
Number of running plays executed on the Eagles side of the field (excluding special teams): 5

For most of the game we were within one score of the Eagles, but even with that, we left the running game in the garage. I don't care how little Kelley ran for; if you didn't like him, you had two other RBs to try. And don't try and tell me that the run game is handled by Callahan. The offensive coordinator, Jay Gruden, determines what play is sent into the offense. Yes, the offense played poorly almost to a man, but at the end of the day, the core problem can be summed up in three words:

IT
IS
COACHING

46 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

He wasn't when we had talent in 2011 before 2/3 of our starters on the DL got hurt, before Orakpo got hurt and before Atogwe, Landry and Wilson got hurt. You can continue to ignore that major injuries derailed what would have been at worst a top 15 defense from 2011

Okay ... what happened in 2010, then? They ranked 26th in total DVOA, 27th against the pass, and 18th against the run. That was with all of those guys healthy.

I don't want to hear about how this defense works in Pittsburgh or Baltimore. I don't want to hear about how this is the same defense that Wade Phillips runs. Are any of those position coaches here? Coordinators? Scouts? Training staff? No? THEN THE BLOODY DEFENSE DOES NOT WORK HERE IN WASHINGTON.

Sure, we run the 3-4 only 20-30% of the time. Fine. THEN STOP RUNNING IT ALTOGETHER AND GET BACK TO WHAT THE VAST MAJORITY OF COLLEGE TEAMS RUN SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO WASTE YOUR TIME "PROJECTING" PLAYERS TO KNOW IF THEY FIT.

Once again, we allowed our opponent to convert over half of their 3rd down chances (8 of 14). To the defense's credit, they only allowed 2.4 yards per carry, so on that front, it does look like the run game defense has improved. Of course, they also allowed 7.87 yards per attempt through the air, so it didn't really matter that they stopped the run game.

52 minutes ago, Brian23 said:

They ranked lower then 20th in almost every catagory that'd matter in 2011. If that was "he was good" then you need to reset your bar for acceptable.

Haz was trash.

What categories were those in 2011? I'd love to hear this. They were 12th in pass D, top 20 in run D. They had over 40 sacks. They had 7 or 8 guys who played better than average. 

Injruies derailed them at safety mid season. They lost w/ Landry's achillies & Atogwe w/ hamstring for the year. Bowen tore a knee ligament abs played through it.

They also constantly had to defend short fields because their Qbs combined for like 35 turnovers and the O struggled to run the ball too.

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Is it coaching or guy's just not executing?

You're going to blame a dropped TD pass by Pryor and a hold on Reed on the same play on coaching? Come on man, that's ridiculous.

You're going to blame Scherff getting beat on an awesome swim move by an all-pro DT on poor coaching?

The fumble by Crowder on the punt return? Coaching? Seriously?

The first Cousins fumble was on Cousins, not the coaches. He needs to protect the ball better.

DJ Swearinger getting out of position a few times in the first half and giving up a long TD pass where he missed the tackle was on the coaches? 

All the missed sacks was on the coaches?  

Cousins air mailing a pass in the redzone because he didn't step into the pass and deliver a better ball to Crowder was on the coaches?

We have the guys to get the job done, they just have to execute. 4 turnovers is not on the coaches, that's on the players not executing and the last Cousins fumble was a forward pass. We got hosed on that one.

Its coaching Turtle. These things happen repeatedly. Because there is no accountability for messing up. That's on coaching. That's also on the veterans for not establishing accountability in the absence of it coming from the coaches

4 minutes ago, Woz said:

Okay ... what happened in 2010, then? They ranked 26th in total DVOA, 27th against the pass, and 18th against the run. That was with all of those guys healthy.

I don't want to hear about how this defense works in Pittsburgh or Baltimore. I don't want to hear about how this is the same defense that Wade Phillips runs. Are any of those position coaches here? Coordinators? Scouts? Training staff? No? THEN THE BLOODY DEFENSE DOES NOT WORK HERE IN WASHINGTON.

Sure, we run the 3-4 only 20-30% of the time. Fine. THEN STOP RUNNING IT ALTOGETHER AND GET BACK TO WHAT THE VAST MAJORITY OF COLLEGE TEAMS RUN SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO WASTE YOUR TIME "PROJECTING" PLAYERS TO KNOW IF THEY FIT.

Once again, we allowed our opponent to convert over half of their 3rd down chances (8 of 14). To the defense's credit, they only allowed 2.4 yards per carry, so on that front, it does look like the run game defense has improved. Of course, they also allowed 7.87 yards per attempt through the air, so it didn't really matter that they stopped the run game.

2010 was first year in the new system and They didn't have good talent on DL bc Haynesworth refused to accept his role.

We didn't have a FS worth being our roster and there wasn't a true free agency because of the cba expiring and looming lockout.

24 minutes ago, Woz said:

Number of plays executed on the Eagles side of the field (excluding special teams): 22 (+1 when the game was out of reach)
Number of running plays executed on the Eagles side of the field (excluding special teams): 5

For most of the game we were within one score of the Eagles, but even with that, we left the running game in the garage. I don't care how little Kelley ran for; if you didn't like him, you had two other RBs to try. And don't try and tell me that the run game is handled by Callahan. The offensive coordinator, Jay Gruden, determines what play is sent into the offense. Yes, the offense played poorly almost to a man, but at the end of the day, the core problem can be summed up in three words:

IT
IS
COACHING

Shhh...

Its not coaching.

Its not the scheme

Its not the Front Office.

Its the players...and even then, its not them.

We seem to never want to put blame where it belongs. 

If this keeps up, I'm in @lavar703's camp and just want to blow the whole danged thing up and try again. Why not? We are in year 4 or 5 of the rebuild and we've got nothing to show for it. We're actually getting worse.

Archived