GDT 9/22/19 Week 3: 2-0 Baltimore Ravens vs 2-0 Kansas City Chiefs

DreamKid

Bowser had a pressure and a pass deflection on 11 total snaps against KC. McPhee had none on 24 second half snaps. Tyus had multi pressure outings against the Cardinals and Dolphins too. Also FWIW, Bowser is PFF's highest rated EDGE player from our team. 

He continues to perform in coverage and produce on limited snaps as a rusher. That isn't fan narrative, it's what is going on. 

I believe Tim Williams is injured. There's something fundamentally different about him as a rusher this year. He clearly lacks the pure explosiveness he had in '17 and 18'. He's  still technical and quick enough to get a pressure now and then, but he isn't the monster he's been. Which is incredibly disappointing. I think he's hiding the injury because he doesn't want to lose playing time or his place on the team.

Harbaugh risks sending the wrong message to the team by publicly calling out Bowser and Williams. They played 24 snaps combined, and had nothing to do with why we lost this game in the end. It's easy to call them out, but hard to call out Matt Judon for his beyond reckless play? I mean I get it, Harbaugh wants to motivate Tyus and Tim. He wants them to create endless pressures and sacks on their 24 snaps, a 50% pressure rate sounds about right. How about a call out for Judon though? His lack of control on the field is getting worse.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Bowser had a pressure and a pass deflection on 11 total snaps against KC. McPhee had none on 24 second half snaps. Tyus had multi pressure outings against the Cardinals and Dolphins too. Also FWIW, Bowser is PFF's highest rated EDGE player from our team. 

He continues to perform in coverage and produce on limited snaps as a rusher. That isn't fan narrative, it's what is going on. 

I want to believe this, but like if it's true why are we NOT giving him more snaps? Like, obviously PFF might be grading him out well but our coaches don't seem to be. I don't get it.

I believe Tim Williams is injured. There's something fundamentally different about him as a rusher this year. He clearly lacks the pure explosiveness he had in '17 and 18'. He's  still technical and quick enough to get a pressure now and then, but he isn't the monster he's been. Which is incredibly disappointing. I think he's hiding the injury because he doesn't want to lose playing time or his place on the team.

IMO I just think TIm Williams put on weight and lost his explosiveness, ala CJ Mosley. He's a twitch pass rusher without any twitch any more.

Harbaugh risks sending the wrong message to the team by publicly calling out Bowser and Williams. They played 24 snaps combined, and had nothing to do with why we lost this game in the end. It's easy to call them out, but hard to call out Matt Judon for his beyond reckless play? I mean I get it, Harbaugh wants to motivate Tyus and Tim. He wants them to create endless pressures and sacks on their 24 snaps, a 50% pressure rate sounds about right. How about a call out for Judon though? His lack of control on the field is getting worse.

Not only on the field, on Twitter too.

2 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I want to believe this, but like if it's true why are we NOT giving him more snaps? Like, obviously PFF might be grading him out well but our coaches don't seem to be. I don't get it.

I think it's as simple as the coaches wanting who they felt were the best players on the field against the Chiefs. Tim and Tyus' snap totals were much higher against our previous opponents. I think Harbaugh is going to continue to call them out until they reach the level where he feels completely comfortable replacing McPhee or Judon with them. John wants them to exactly match both as a players I guess. It's like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole though. As Tim and Tyus aren't built to ever become great against the run, and McPhee and Judon are probably Top 10-15 in the league when it comes to diagnosing offenses. It's a skill set thing. I don't know. We'll see how it shakes out going forward. We're only 3 games into the season and these snap trends have to stop, we know it and so does John. McPhee can't play F'n 50 snaps a game. 

22 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

IMO I just think TIm Williams put on weight and lost his explosiveness, ala CJ Mosley. He's a twitch pass rusher without any twitch any more.

I mean maybe, but remember Timmy was near 270 during his Rookie season and was still smoking guys like Joe Thomas. It feels like an injury thing to me. 

26 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Not only on the field, on Twitter too.

Dude Harbaugh was feisty at his presser today. Almost demeaning to some of the reporters. He typically has little charm, but man he was another level today. He must have read something bad about his game decisions or something. 

Yeah... I’m losing more and more confidence in Wink. No reason Jefferson should still be starting on that defense, there’s no reason our young pass rushers shouldn’t be used more in a rotation when the guys in front of them aren’t showing anything, no reason why we should be using Jefferson as the deep safety over 50% of the time, no reason we should be using so much zone coverage when clearly our defenders get lost in it on a regular basis.

I’d rather Anthony Averrett get abused in man coverage over and over again than to watch receivers running wild and wide open through our zones because 3 guys choose to target one player that Mahomes glances at before tossing it to the open man.

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

Remember before the game when we all talked about how we should play Earl Thomas to his strengths against Mahomes, to prevent the big plays? Oops. I'm sure Mahomes was briefly confused though. Wink needs to stop the bleeding. This isn't acceptable. 

WHY IS YOUR BUZZ SAFETY ON THE SAME SIDE AS THE TRIPS FORMATION AND YOUR DEEP SAFETY ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE, THEN WHEN THE PLAY STARTS THAT OPPOSITE SAFETY ISN'T EVEN TRYING TO GET BACK TO THE MIDDLE?!?

None of this makes sense. 

Here's a marvelous idea, right: We have Marlon Humphrey. He's a lock down corner. USE EARL THOMAS TO SHADE TO THE OTHER SIDE OF THE FIELD AND LET MARLON PLAY. 

Here's another marvelous idea: STOP PLAYING TONY JEFFERSON DEEP! IT'S LITERALLY NEVER WORKED.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

I'm not to the level of losing much faith in the defense, yet. The Chiefs are the toughest team to cover in the league and the secondary, especailly needs time to gel. I'm going to wait and see how the next 3 weeks go, before I get concerned. We need to win at least 2 of 3.

We need to run the table the next 3 weeks and put our foot firmly on their necks. Take a stranglehold on the division and let them know its over for 'em early.

We mixed it up a great deal on defense this sunday. I am a little surprised of how much zone we ran and how much cover 2 we ran. 

I assume we will be a lot wiser after the next couple of games, because I consider Mahomes play at QB combined with Andy Reids scheme to be an outlier. 

For all the second guessing and pointing out where we lost, its still worth noting how close we came to actually win. 

If anything, we came completely back down to earth and will have to have the necessary respect for the upcoming opponents no matter what record they have. If we go 3-0 against the division, we are in a very good spot. If we go into the bye at 4-3 we are already better positioned than I expected before the season.

11 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

I'm not to the level of losing much faith in the defense, yet. The Chiefs are the toughest team to cover in the league and the secondary, especailly needs time to gel. I'm going to wait and see how the next 3 weeks go, before I get concerned. We need to win at least 2 of 3.

I mean...it's not like our coverage has been good in either of our first 2 games, either. That's the problem.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2019 at 4:16 AM, Danand said:

If we go into the bye at 4-3 we are already better positioned than I expected before the season.

Meh. I had us going 4-3 losing to KC, Pitt, and Sea through that time. But with a rookie QB playing for Pittsburgh and a defense as leaky as ours... there is no excuse for losing that game. This game against the Browns at home to take command of the division is also a must win. We need to go into the bye at 5-2, no excuses.

This can’t be a 10-6 team, especially considering the weakness within the division and our ability to be within reach of a first round bye. We need to finish 12-4/13-3 and put pressure on NE and Kansas City to remain at top gear. Also getting a 1st round bye with Harbaugh's propensity to win games after a bye... that would ensure us a path to the AFCCG.

So all that would be next is a win and a SB birth. And again with a bye week before the SB, I like our chances.

But it all starts with reaching 13-3 and hoping that NE can fall to 12-4 or we win the H2H and both finish at 13-3. Either or.

I think we'll lose 1 of the next 3 division games and @sea and go into the bye week at 4-3...after that though i see us losing 1 of NE/HOU, 1 of @CLE/@BUF, and maybe 1 rando somewhere in between. Thinking 10-6 and hopefully that gets us the division and a home playoff game again

• Like 1