The NFL season is upon us....Week 1 GDT

Bucketheadsdad

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

So many people comment on how games doesn't get YAC, doesn't stretch the field, etc. They don't realize a guy that's a big target and sits in the holes of the zone is exactly what Ben wants at TE. 

I wouldn't say it's what he wants in a TE, but it is what he needs from one, dependable hands for a safety blanket that finds a hole.

Just now, Verbs said:

I wouldn't say it's what he wants in a TE, but it is what he needs from one, dependable hands for a safety blanket that finds a hole.

He talked at length before Heath retired about how it's a perfect fit for him at a TE position. He likes a safety blanket that's just can find the holes. 

Just now, FourThreeMafia said:

Doesnt mean he was brought in to replace James.    Seems like they were just trying to fill the void left by Green.

I'm not diagreeing. Just saying what the groupthink is. JJ can't be good because he's not fast, high jumping, superman. 

Just now, FourThreeMafia said:

Doesnt mean he was brought in to replace James.    Seems like they were just trying to fill the void left by Green.

It seems like they got out of their comfort zone signing a move TE with Green and it burned them. They know we need one so they got someone a little like Green but a little more "Steelers style" in Vance.

If that makes any sense lol

Well Watt almost had a couple sacks, against Joe Thomas.  Got held and then rag-dolled Thomas once.  That was reassuring to me.  I think he's going to be solid.  

Matakevich doesn't impress me, but that blocked punt was nice.  

Chickillo is solid.  

Haden looks good.  

Heyward and Tuitt both looked good until Tuitt got hurt.  Hargrave hasn't done much.  

The O looked horrible until the last drive.  What is up with those guys?  

Btw, that was clearly a DPI on Davis on Njoku.  There were some really bad spots though, and that personal foul for a peel back block they called on Bell (that was really on the FB) was really iffy.  

Kizer looks pretty decent.  Lacks the timing on avoiding a pass rush, but doesn't look bad at all.  I never liked what I saw out of him in college very much, but he looks solid here.  

Overall, I'd say the play calling to start sucked, but the first drive was killed by holding calls.  That last draw play to Bell at the 5 yard line was predictable.  I called that, except instead of getting stuffed he broke a tackle and got a few yards out of it.  Ben got lucky that LB didn't pick off or knock down the long pass to Brown plus the TD.  Overall they just seem to be playing flat and out of sync.  To be expected when Ben hasn't played much, if any, with some of these guys.  Bell hasn't done squat either, as I was afraid of after his hold out.  

Archived