Is Goff actually good?

Bolts223

1 minute ago, DannyB said:

As a fan or a player? I mean in both cases, sure, maybe. Doesn't mean Eli is/was a better QB than Rivers.

At the end of the day we are all fans. It doesn’t matter who’s the “best” it’s about who’s the most accomplished.

Manning/Rodgers was/is “better” than Brady but Brady has more SBs.  Brady is considered the GOAT.

But Brady always had Belichick. Sound familiar? Winning will always be the most important stat over individual stats for QBs.  

4 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

How many of them were 24 and had a 32 year old head coach?

How many of them had supposedly one of the best coaches in the league, one of the best, deepest corps of receivers in the league, one of the best offensive lines in the league, one of the best running backs in the league, one of the best defenses in the league anchored by perhaps the best defensive player of this generation this side of JJ Watt?

How many of them had all of those?

5 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

This is not including playoffs, as his QB rating plummets into the 80's if you do

Bro this is Goff’a thread. Why do you keep violating other threads with Dak spam lol?

we get it, Dak is having a career year. Enjoy it because it could be gone with a blink of an eye or a Zeke Injury 

1 minute ago, rocky_rams said:

Bro this is Goff’a thread. Why do you keep violating other threads with Dak spam lol?

we get it, Dak is having a career year. Enjoy it because it could be gone with a blink of an eye or a Zeke Injury 

I was actually just pointing out Goffs numbers. I could have just typed them out, but I am lazy. 

If it makes you feel better though, I will edit just for you

2 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

This is not including playoffs, as his QB rating plummets into the 80's if you do

The only stat I care about is Goff is (2-0) head to head with Dak and beat him in the playoffs last season. 

I think people get caught up too much on stats because of fantasy purpose. Perfect example would be the Bucs last season. Im heavy on fantasy football and if you combined Winston and Fitzpatrick stats last season they wouldve been a top 4 QB in terms of fantasy. They completed 65% of their passes for 5,358yds and 36tds combined. That didnt result in many wins. The Bucs were terrible. My thing is someone need to make up their mind whats important, stats or wins? Remember when Stafford use to throw for 5,000yds but could never get his team to the playoffs or win the big games? So I think its laughable to even have this discussion about Goff actually not being a good QB when his stats are good and he wins at a very high rate. Like if people are hating on him winning, I cant even imagine the hate if he is losing. 

2 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

At the end of the day we are all fans. It doesn’t matter who’s the “best” it’s about who’s the most accomplished.

Manning/Rodgers was/is “better” than Brady but Brady has more SBs.  Brady is considered the GOAT.

But Brady always had Belichick. Sound familiar? Winning will always be the most important stat over individual stats for QBs.  

Brady is considered the best because he has a lightning quick release, great accuracy in the short-medium range, can read a defense pre and post snap like Bobby Fisher on a chessboard, can find his hot read at lightspeed, oh, and he has stones the size of a small country.

I mean, yeah, he goes to the Super Bowl basically every other year he's been in the league, and wins most of them, but that's all a product of combining the fact that he's an insanely good quarterback paired with an insanely good coach. You don't get 6 rings by mistake.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DannyB said:

How many of them had supposedly one of the best coaches in the league, one of the best, deepest corps of receivers in the league, one of the best offensive lines in the league, one of the best running backs in the league, one of the best defenses in the league anchored by perhaps the best defensive player of this generation this side of JJ Watt?

How many of them had all of those?

We never had one of the best defense in the league. Although this year could be different. How good is an injured running back? 

Montana’s Niners had a great all around team and some of Brady’s teams had solid defenses. They both had arguably Top 5 coaches of all time. That usually helps 

4 minutes ago, DannyB said:

Brady is considered the best because he has a lightning quick release, great accuracy in the short-medium range, can read a defense pre and post snap like Bobby Fisher on a chessboard, can find his hot read at lightspeed, oh, and he has stones the size of a small country.

I mean, yeah, he goes to the Super Bowl basically every other year he's been in the league, and wins most of them, but that's all a product of combining the fact that he's an insanely good quarterback paired with an insanely good coach. You don't get 6 rings by mistake.

I’m not arguing with that. In fact he’s my all time favorite QB. But he always wasn’t like you mentioned. He became that good is my point. People wouldn’t even put him in the same tier as Manning early in his career 

3 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

The only stat I care about is Goff is (2-0) head to head with Dak and beat him in the playoffs last season. 

I think people get caught up too much on stats because of fantasy purpose. Perfect example would be the Bucs last season. Im heavy on fantasy football and if you combined Winston and Fitzpatrick stats last season they wouldve been a top 4 QB in terms of fantasy. They completed 65% of their passes for 5,358yds and 36tds combined. That didnt result in many wins. The Bucs were terrible. My thing is someone need to make up their mind whats important, stats or wins? Remember when Stafford use to throw for 5,000yds but could never get his team to the playoffs or win the big games? So I think its laughable to even have this discussion about Goff actually not being a good QB when his stats are good and he wins at a very high rate. Like if people are hating on him winning, I cant even imagine the hate if he is losing. 

The point is that Goff is very clearly trending down. And as much as Rams fans want to lump him in with "winners", he played bad in the games that mattered most. 

2 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Okay. Let's discuss. It's 11 games. You have 8 from last year and 3 from this year. Three of the 11 occurred in the playoffs, which is a wholly different environment from the regular season. And then you had an absolutely awful three game stretch in 2018 against Detroit, Chicago, and Philly. The other 5 games vacillated between mediocre and great. In the previous 11 games in 2018, Goff was dominant. He was putting up MVP caliber numbers.

Yeah no argument there.

But wait, we can go back to 2017 for further context. Goff put up very good to great numbers that year too. However, Goff also had vastly different stretches in 2017. Over the first 7 games of the season, he put up average production. Over the final 8 games of the season (he sat vs. SF), he put up dominant MVP caliber numbers. Unsurprisingly, if you look at the careers of other franchise QBs, you will see a ton of volatility in their play before they hit their primes somewhere around 26 to 29 years old. QBs without that volatility are more the exception than the norm. Even Peyton Manning and Tom Brady showed that volatility.

Okay.

Tom Brady . . . volatility like Goff? No way, I must be full of crap. Here are Brady's numbers over a 13 game stretch from the final stretch of 2002 through the first part of 2003: 239/418 57.2% 2471 yards 5.9 YPA 13 TDs 11 Ints 73.8 PR. That Tom Brady sure did end up being an average QB.

Isn't my entire premise here that we're just evaluating whether or not Goff is going through a funk or regressing to the mean? lol my entire argument has been that his last like 13 or whatever games (even if you exclude the playoffs) haven't really been that great. Apparently you agree, so why are we even arguing?

Maybe to a bitter Seahawks fan, but the much larger sample size of his last 38 games tells a much different story. Take a look:

http://pfref.com/tiny/jYfsC

If you're going over his last 38 games just include his entire career tbh.

Goff is 4th in passing yardage (on par with Ben and just below Rivers), tied for 5th in passing TDs (tied with Brees), 13th in passer rating (above Stafford, Ben, and Dak; just below Rodgers, Luck, and Cousins), 7th in AYPA (just above Wentz and just below Rivers), and 3rd in winning percentage (just above Brees and just below Mahomes). But hey, winning percentage is a team accomplishment. It's not like the Rams led the NFL in PPG over the combined 2017 and 2018 regular seasons. Oh wait, they did. But hey, we know that nobody gives the vast majority of the credit for offensive and team success to the starting QB. Oh wait, they do. Unless, of course, your name is Jared Goff.

Again, I'm not here debating his 2017 season, or even the first half of 2018. They were great. He was playing great. And then the Bears game happened and ever since he's been pretty mediocre, and apparently you agree...so again why are we arguing?

EDIT: Strike that, if your name is Jared Goff, you get the vast majority of the "credit" for your team losing the Super Bowl and your offense performing terribly. What you don't get is credit when the offense performs exceptionally well. Funny how that is.

Who didn't give him credit when they were putting up 40 points a game or whatever that was? I certainly was, and if I wasn't I'll gladly eat that crow.

What will actually happen is I'll be proven right again about Goff. People like yourself will have nothing to say until you find some other intellectually dishonest argument to make to tear Goff down. It's amusing at this point the mental gymnastics y'all will do because you were so embarrassingly wrong about Goff. And you can spare me the whole, "I'm a Ravens fan and like watching the Rams" shtick. We both know that your two favorite teams are the Ravens and the Seahawks. You were a massive Seahawks fan back before the McVay era.

Okay, believe whatever you want to believe. I do enjoy watching the Rams offense and Cooper Kupp. I do root for the Seahawks. I like good football and enjoy watching good offenses, especially after watching Joe Flacco for a goddamn decade. I only hate two teams - New England and Pittsburgh. You seem to believe I have some vendetta against Goff or something, but you're also completely turning your back to the idea that Goff could be regressing to the mean, and you've determined for a fact that Goff is Peyton Manning or Tom Brady and just going through a funk. The funny thing is that I have never said he wasn't. I'm just saying his play lately hasn't been that good. The other guy wanted to bring up Brees, yeah I agree his play lately hasn't been to the level Brees usually plays at either!

I've never seen two posters get SO offended by the mere suggestion their QB isn't playing great. 

2 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

We never had one of the best defense in the league. Although this year could be different. How good is an injured running back? 

Montana’s Niners had a great all around team and some of Brady’s teams had solid defenses. They both had arguably Top 5 coaches of all time. That usually helps 

Dude what are you even arguing? I was bemoaning the fact that Goff, in perhaps the most enviable situation a QB could be in in this league, couldn't even muster up a single touchdown against a subpar (for the Pats) defense. Foles put up TDs, Ryan put up TDs, Mahomes put up TDs, Rivers put up TDs, Wilson put up TDs, Bortles put up TDs, Mariota put up TDs. The list goes on. (I know i'm not referencing one single year, I'm taking this current run of Pats teams as a whole, and talking about the postseason).

3 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

I’m not arguing with that. In fact he’s my all time favorite QB. But he always wasn’t like you mentioned. He became that good is my point. People wouldn’t even put him in the same tier as Manning early in his career 

So someday Goff might be good? Yeah, I suppose. He's young.

Just now, DannyB said:

Dude what are you even arguing? I was bemoaning the fact that Goff, in perhaps the most enviable situation a QB could be in in this league, couldn't even muster up a single touchdown against a subpar (for the Pats) defense. Foles put up TDs, Ryan put up TDs, Mahomes put up TDs, Rivers put up TDs, Wilson put up TDs, Bortles put up TDs, Mariota put up TDs. The list goes on. (I know i'm not referencing one single year, I'm taking this current run of Pats teams as a whole, and talking about the postseason).

Here’s what I’m arguing, winning matters more than individual stats. I don’t care if my QB got 5 ints in one game as long as we win. 

Winning cumaltively leads to great success. QBs are mostly considered goats based on how much they’ve won. 

Youre knocking Goff as if he didn’t make the super bowl last year, as if he didn’t have a 4th Quarter comeback against the Browns last night, and as if his team is not 3-0 this season. 

• Like 1