Mock Draft 2020 2.0

zappa13004

Ranking after week 3. No playoffs projections. Only how teams are ranked for now. Tie : point differential.

1- Dolphins : Tua Tagovailoa, QB, Alabama

A smartest choice would probably be to not throw a rookie in that team and improve the trenches : Andrew Thomas or Chase Young. But can they resist to Tua ? Can they tank another year to wait for Lawrence ?

2- Jets : Andrew Thomas, OT, Georgia

They do need an edge rusher so Chase Young is tempting but they also need to protect their franchise QB. Thomas is great in pass pro and as we saw it again versus Notre Dame, he can open huge lanes for the run game (see TD of Swift).

3- Dolphins (Steelers) : Jerry Jeudy, WR, Alabama

What ? Jerry Jeudy, the next great JJ from Alabama, to pair with his ex/future teammate ?

4- Giants : Chase Young, DE, Ohio State

Except for the front 3, their D have needs everywhere. Chase Young and his nickname "The Predator"would help pressuring those pretty good QBs of the NFC East. His play would also help a secondary which struggles covering anyone.

5- Raiders : Justin Herbert, QB, Oregon

Derek Carr is not good. We know he can be, as he was before his injury but since...And the start of the 2019 season confirm that the silver&black should change his man under center. (only 5M in dead money in 2020, 2.5 in 2021).

6- Bengals : Jake Fromm, QB, Georgia

High for him. Same was said about Daniel Jones. Fromm is not gifted like Tua or Herbert but he plays smart. Very few mistakes. Underrated who beat both Jacob Eason and Justin Fields. New coach Zach Taylor would like to model him with his offense.

7- Cardinals : Laviska Shenault, WR, Colorado

Yeah, they have Oline needs. That spot though seems too high, for now, for the next OT on the board. Kingsbury and Murray would love to have this mismatch offensive weapon who can catch, run and also wild-cat some. Larry Fitzgerald is one of the best all-time but with Kirk-Shenault + Isabella, Butler and else, the offense would be good enough for Kyler to shine.

8- Broncos : Grant Delpit, S, LSU

They have weapons to put pressure but they need to be better on coverage. Delpit can defend passes and also help the linebackers in the box.

9- Browns : Tristan Wirfs, OT, Iowa

Too high for a #7 but not for a #9 ? But CLE have no choice. 3 games played and 11 sacks allowed. Like Thomas, he can protect and be effective in the run game. But not at the same elite level than the Bulldog. As he showed again versus Iowa State, he can play on the left side and on the right. This will add to his stock.

10- Redskins : Isaiah Simmons, LB, Clemson

Hamilton, Bostic, Holcomb. They can improve! Simmons has speed and his long arms allow him to be a factor to catch INT or to win matchups in the box.

11- Falcons : Derrick Brown, DT, Auburn

Much love for Chris Lindstrom but such a surprising pick (to me) with Dexter Lawrence available. Big Derrick Brown would complement Grady Jarrett the best way and finally give the Falcons a Dline to fear some opponents (with an improving Takk).

12- Saints : Bryce Hall, CB, Virginia

3 games : 6 passes defended. No one did a worse job among the NFL. 21 for Hall in 2018, 4 in 4 games in 2019. Hall has the size and skills to be a shutdown corner at the next level.

13- Buccaneers : Yetur Gross-Matos, DE, Penn State

Shaquill Barrett is surprisingly good in 2019 (8 sacks in 3 games wow!) but they could use a young stud at the opposite. Gross-Matos gets the nod over Epenesa on my board.

14- Oakland (Chicago) : Tee Higgins, WR, Clemson

A player who do not receive all the love he deserves with his size, athleticism and catch ability. Okay, there is Justyn Ross next to him and Trevor certainly helps but...Higgins has great talent, Justin Herbert would love him (and Chucky too). They have plenty of picks to add to the D next (2nd and two 3rd).

15- Chargers : Jonathan Taylor, RB, Wisconsin

Melvin Gordon is watching Austin Ekeler having some success and he could watch a Badger like him having great success next year. Taylor definitely is a 1st round RB.

16- Seahawks : CJ Henderson, CB, Florida

Tall cornerback who's having some struggle in the start of 2019 but with tremendous skills.

17- Eagles : Raekwon Davis, DT, Alabama

2 sacks in 3 games. Not an Eagles' standard. Graham and Barnett are okay but they could improve the inside next to Fletcher Cox. Raekwon Davis was overshadowed by Quinnen Williams in 2018 but if he can be the same as he was in 2017, he'd worth a middle first round pick.

18- Jaguars : CeeDee Lamb, WR, Oklahoma

This a major weapon. Beowulf Minshew II would be happy with this pick. And i like to make him happy as he is such a guy.

19- Colts : AJ Epenesa, DE, Iowa

Very tempting to give a QB to them but for now, Jacoby Brissett does the job. Even with a good Brissett, his contract (2y/30M) isn't an obstacle. But, i repeat, for now. Epenesa is a premium at the position.

20- Dolphins (Texans) : Julian Okwara, OLB, Notre Dame

The Dolphins have nothing at the edge position. Okwara is fluid and bend quickly to then sack opposite QBs.

21- Lions : Henry Ruggs, WR, Alabama

Kenny Golladay looks like a long term WR1 with Marvin Jones a correct WR2 but the Lions should maximize the arm of Matthew Stafford. Ruggs knows how to run routes and has plenty of speed.

22- Panthers : Joe Burrow, QB, LSU

Cam Newton is injury-prone and i need to see more from Kyle Allen. it is all about hype here as Burrow didn't look the part in 2018. But through 4 games in 2019, he could be a riser on many boards.

23- Titans : Tyler Biadasz, C, Wisconsin

17 sacks allowed in 3 games. Worst of the league. I bet they give another chance to Mariota and try to help him. Biadasz is the next center to be selected in the 1st.

24- Bills : Kenny Willekes, DE, Michigan State

Hard worker (with talent) who looks like a match made in heaven with that Bills' D.

25- Packers : Tylan Wallace, WR, OKH State

Will they find a valuable partner for Davante Adams ? MVS is correct but add the speed and contested catch ability of Wallace to that unit, and let Aaron Rodgers bombs it.

26- Rams : Evan Weaver, LB, Cal

NFL staffs are waiting on the future recovery of Dylan Moses. For now, Evan Weaver is a tackling machine.

27- Vikings : Xavier McKinney, S, Alabama

Anthony Harris had two INTs versus ATL and is having a nice start of season. Thats why they could loose him as he'll be FA in 2020. Enter McKinney.

28- Chiefs : Travis Etienne, RB, Clemson

Another RB worthing of a 1st round pick. Etienne is explosive. It is a tough match between him and D'Andre Swift to be that second guy.

29- 49ers : Trey Smith, OT, Tennessee

They probably would have preferred the local kid but Walker Little is injured. Smith had illness issues but when healthy, he is a starter in the NFL. Joe Staley is not getting younger at 35, not to mention Smith has experience playing guard too.

30- Ravens : Jeffrey Okudah, CB, Ohio State

Brandon Carr is 33 and Jimmy Smith injury-prone. Okudah and Paulson Adebo are in play here.

31- Cowboys : Javon Kinlaw, DT, South Carolina

After Trysten Hill in 2019, the Cowboys keep building inside the Dline. Kinlaw is big and disruptive.

32- Patriots : Albert Okwuegbunam, TE, Missouri

Did they like to have a dominant tight-end ? Albert O is the best of an underrated but nice class in 2020.

Edited by zappa13004

First off without looking at anything but the Pats pick, I believe Pass Rush is a much bigger need for us at the moment than tight end. We can get a Tight End in the third round but I'd like to see us get someone like Yetur Gross-Matos/Terrell Lewis/Nick Coe with our first two picks. 

It's about time we get some edge rushers who can actually sack the QB. Don't get me wrong these guys we got right now are doing and have always done a good job getting pressure and stopping the run but Bennett is past his prime and Simon has like 15 sacks in 6 years. So it's time we spent a high pick on a pass rusher who can disrupt the QB.

You know who I'd really like is Chase Young but there's no way he falls outside the top 5. That's one thing I never get to see my favorite college players get picked up by us. How many trades would we need to make to get into the top 5 that would be interesting to go from pick 32 to say pick 3.

10 hours ago, zappa13004 said:

25- Packers : Tylan Wallace, WR, OKH State

Will they find a valuable partner for Davante Adams ? MVS is correct but add the speed and contested catch ability of Wallace to that unit, and let Aaron Rodgers bombs it.

We don't need a boundary receiver. Adams and MVS are just fine there. We'd need someone more like Henry Ruggs or Jalen Reagor. Someone who we can get the ball to underneath in space and they can YAC big gains with their quickness/speed. It's why I wanted Mecole Hardman so badly last draft process.

That being said, I don't think we'd take a WR first round. So think someone like Devin Duvernay on day 2.

Edited by beekay414

16 hours ago, zappa13004 said:

29- 49ers : Trey Smith, OT, Tennessee

They probably would have preferred the local kid but Walker Little is injured. Smith had illness issues but when healthy, he is a starter in the NFL. Joe Staley is not getting younger at 35, not to mention Smith has experience playing guard too.

Love this pick - if he checks out medically!

Same can be said about Walker Little, whom you also mention... either makes sense.

Edited by Danish49ers
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, zappa13004 said:

17- Eagles : Raekwon Davis, DT, Alabama

2 sacks in 3 games. Not an Eagles' standard. Graham and Barnett are okay but they could improve the inside next to Fletcher Cox. Raekwon Davis was overshadowed by Quinnen Williams in 2018 but if he can be the same as he was in 2017, he'd worth a middle first round pick.

Give us an Edge rusher. We're fine at DT if we're healthy.

A rotation of Cox - M. Jackson - Jernigan - Ridgeway is more than good enough. 

Vinny Curry isn't good anymore, Brandon Graham is just a non factor these days, and Derek Barnett while talented makes so many boneheaded mistakes. 4th DE is non existent.

On the surface of things, I don't see how the Dolphins or Cardinals bypass OL help to protect their future franchise QB's. Arizona will have Butler coming back + Kirk + Isabella + Keesean. They found 3 of their guys in other rounds.

As for the Lions, 1) Love that we're not picking in the top 10 as per usual. It's a nice feeling; 2) I like the selection of Ruggs.

3 weeks into the season, our biggest needs appear to be: Pass Rush, speed WR and OL help. Our interior OL is playing great. We'll probably need to add an OT to either replace Decker or Wagner moving forward. We haven't been able to get to the QB but there isn't a guy available in this mix that fits the bill. This leaves a guy like Ruggs BPA who also fills a need. Amendola is a FA next year; Marvin and Kenny are FA's the year after. We're likely going to need to pay KG big money. Marvin is a nice down field option but he doesn't have that speed element to take the top off of the defense. Adding a guy like Ruggs would put some extra pressure on the defense and open up underneath stuff for a guy like Hock. Stafford still has a cannon and we've seen what Mecole Hardman has done for the Chiefs already.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

3 hours ago, Tetsujin said:

Dang. Perhaps the worst OL ever, and no OL help in R1.

Tua with the first. Do you take Andrew Thomas with the #1 ? Then Thomas gone. Wirfs at #3 ? Then Wirfs gone so reach like the Texans likes to do or solve another great need at edge rusher and wait for 2nd round to improve the Oline ? (in this scenario : Calvin Throckmorton is still available, a RT to protect Tua's blindside. Or Creed Humphrey, Lucas Niang, Prince Wanogho etc).

Edited by zappa13004

2 minutes ago, zappa13004 said:

Tua with the first. Do you take Andrew Thomas with the #1 ? Then Thomas gone. Wirfs at #3 ? Then Wirfs gone so reach like the Texans likes to do or solve another great need at edge rusher and wait for 2nd round to improve the Oline ? (in this scenario : Calvin Throckmorton is still available, a RT to protect Tua's blindside. Or Creed Humphrey, Lucas Niang, Prince Wanogho etc).

I'd probably go Chase Young for Miami with their second pick and then move up with the draft capital and grab one of the leading OT's. Jeudy is a great talent but we've all seen guys selected in other rounds develop into solid WR's. There's also a chance that a top tier WR will drop with emphasis placed on pass rushers, QB's, etc. in the first round. It happens every year and it's going to happen again this year.

Just now, Karnage84 said:

I'd probably go Chase Young for Miami with their second pick and then move up with the draft capital and grab one of the leading OT's. Jeudy is a great talent but we've all seen guys selected in other rounds develop into solid WR's. There's also a chance that a top tier WR will drop with emphasis placed on pass rushers, QB's, etc. in the first round. It happens every year and it's going to happen again this year.

Based on how your draft board is falling,

1) Tua

2) Chase Young - A foundational player towards a rebuilding defense. Could be the best guy in the whole draft

3) Henry Ruggs - Dolphins need a playmaker and he already has a rapport with Tua

4) Trade up and grab Trey Smith - It's an OL that is going to need a lot of work. Unless you think that Thomas and/or Wirf are wirf it (see what I did there), I don't think you bypass the most talented guy (in Chase) and reach on a prospect. Resources need to put into the OL and this would be a first start to things

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, zappa13004 said:

I think Dolphins fans are split on whether to go QB in 2020, or wait until 2021. In your scenario, I'd go Thomas, Young, and Biadasz. But I can't knock selecting Tua, though. 

• Like 2