Week 4 GDT: Jacksonville Jaguars @ Denver Broncos

Joe_is_the_best

9 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I do remember that I never saw Hogan making this team so reps were mishandled in preseason that's definitely the case if that's the argument. 

But even Patrick Mahomes was the third stringer to start out 2017 for the Chiefs and moved to 2 by the end of the preseason.  It's not Elways fault Lock got hurt game 3 out of 5.

This year feels different than 2018,2017, heck even 2016.

People forget the o line was depleted at the end of the superbowl run Harris walked, Mathis Ancient, Vasquez retired ancient. It wasn't just Peyton, and Ware leaving. 

The Cardinal sin this franchise Made was extending Von. You can't sell a fanbase on a rebuild after doing that he was superbowl mvp. 

This year feels different watch.

Extending Von was never a mistake.   He’s still Uber valuable even now as a trade chip.  And it’s (not extending him) wasn’t happening after a SB win.  Come on that’s revisionist history.  

• Like 1

Side comment - I don’t ding the CB’s for giving up plays in the last drive.  They were literally on the field for 22+ of the previous 28+ minutes IIRC.    We did the same to the awesome CHI D for our TD drive their D was gassed.  

It’s not a reflection of Harris / other CB’s yesterday any more than it was on the CHI D week 2.    Ppl who criticize them miss the key context there. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Extending Von was never a mistake.   He’s still Uber valuable even now as a trade chip.  And it’s (not extending him) wasn’t happening after a SB win.  Come on that’s revisionist history.  

I thought that at the time after seeing Oakland deal Mack, and Seattle deal Frank Clark I still feel that way, Bill B dealing Chandler Jones started the curve.

We all kind of came into the realization in the Falcons game in 2016 that this defense has warts middle of the defense that have not went away.

Because Von is still a valuable trade piece it still makes sense to me.Once Von moves on the fan base will accept the rebuild. No more living in Santa Clara on that fine day the Underdog defense took the game led my Von.

1 minute ago, thebestever6 said:

I thought that at the time after seeing Oakland deal Mack, and Seattle deal Frank Clark I still feel that way, Bill B dealing Chandler Jones started the curve.

We all kind of came into the realization in the Falcons game in 2016 that this defense has warts middle of the defense that have not went away.

Because Von is still a valuable trade piece it still makes sense to me.Once Von moves on the fan base will accept the rebuild. No more living in Santa Clara on that fine day the Underdog defense took the game led my Von.

Right but that's trading Von at peak value for a team that can't legitimately contend - it's not that extending him is a mistake.  Two very different arguments.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Well if traded it would of been on the tag so same premise poor wording. 

Again, though - NEVER happening after we win SB50.

We would have had to show we weren't a legitimate contender.  Remember we finished 9-7 and 1 game out of the WC in 2016.  So the earliest would have been that 2016-17 offeason, or more likely, entering last year (same type return as Mack, or better).     There is absolutely ZERO chance after 2015 and heading into 2016, we think of trading Von, short of having hot-tub time machine technology to accurately predict the future.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

Just now, Malfatron said:

another very very close loss

do you think the broncos come out next week extra desperate and motivated, or will they go into the tank in your opinion?

They will come out motivated and despearate - and lose badly to the Chargers, unless the Chargers go -3 in the TO department, and don't manage clock, and underperform in a key clutch situation (how we somehow won last year - then they came back and massacred us in DEN to end the season with starters resting for 1+ quarter).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

They will come out motivated and despearate - and lose badly to the Chargers, unless the Chargers go -3 in the TO department, and don't manage clock, and underperform in a key clutch situation (how we somehow won last year - then they came back and massacred us in DEN to end the season with starters resting for 1+ quarter).

I don't think you can comfortably say anyone would lose badly to the Chargers. They're kind of a mess right now. I expect a competitive game. 

7 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

I don't think you can comfortably say anyone would lose badly to the Chargers. They're kind of a mess right now. I expect a competitive game. 

When I say badly I’m talking spread.  I took LAC -6.5 lol.  

They are a mess but that’s mostly injuries (what else is new lol).  They likely get MG3, Mike Williams and Virgil Green back on O, and Michael Davis returning and Casey Hayward being back to full strength (illness sapped him last & this week) really helps them vs.  us.   They were really short-handed vs. HOU & MIA not so against us.  

Edited by Broncofan

Some more notes:

-I think we have some really good coaches. I think the coaches understand that they can probably make a couple short term scheme-related fixes to benefit the players they have now. But it probably makes more sense to let things play out as they will this year and keep everything on message. The long term vision is more important than making the Shelby Harrises of the world more effective. 

-I like the way Scangarello breaks down defenses. I had somewhat low expectations and have been fairly impressed. Next year, bring in more speed at WR. 

-DaeSean Hamilton doing something! But a killer drop. A non-athlete like Hamilton needs to have sure hands. 

-Noah Fant looks about as advertised, so long as you didn't expect a 21 year old rookie tight end to light up the NFL. Was exciting to see him in space.

-Re-sign Connor McGovern. With Risner and McGovern, you have 2 out of 5. You hope Ja'Wuan James can be 3. Find the other 2.

-Wolfe, Shelby Harris, Gotsis, Davis, Jewell, Nelson, Parks...none of these players have any business starting on a Vic Fangio defense. I'm not even sure Shelby Harris should be playing, which would have sounded insane months ago. He can't play NT and it's more important to see what Walker and Jones bring as interior rushers.

-Justin Hollins really looked lost in space. Minshew had most of his success before the last drive attacking Hollins. That's okay. He needs all the reps he can get. 

-Justin Simmons is an incredible talent and even without the turnovers, it's showing in coverage. But in his fourth year, he's still an absolute joke at making plays on runners in space. Whether it's a screen or run, you can bet Justin will be diving and hugging at air, sidestepping his way out of the action or getting blocked by some 180 pound receiver. He is so unbelievably soft and it would be nice if just once he could work through the trash and hit someone. 

• Like 2