Scalamania's updated (11/21) 2020 Mock Draft (3 rounds)

Scalamania

Going into the draft, I wouldn't want to use any of the picks on DBs. We already have a lot of young guys that have to be brought along, we needs vets in FA. That said, Okudah at 16 is probably too good of a value to pass up. But, if we don't go trenches in the first we HAVE to in the 2nd. Have to.

On 24/09/2019 at 9:06 PM, Scalamania said:

7    Denver Broncos    Jeff Okudah, CB, Ohio State

I love Okudah for Denver, but would go with Wirfs

6    Denver Broncos    Marvin Wilson, DL, Florida State

Nice player, but I think we would go Prince Tega Wanogho here if we miss on Wirfs/Thomas (where PTW by the way?)

5    Denver    Calvin Throckmorton, OT, Oregon

I like him, but Denver needs a starter, thats why I want an early pick on this position

18    Denver - from Pittsburgh Steelers    Kendrick Rodgers, WR, Texas A&M

Don't know much on Rodgers, but we need WR so I take it.

32    Denver - from San Francisco 49ers    Harrison Bryant, TE, Florida Atlantic 

Also don't know Bryant, but please no. TE isn't a need with Fant. We need more OL at least two with those 5 picks in the 1st 3 rounds.

On 9/24/2019 at 8:06 PM, Scalamania said:

ROUND 1

10    Detroit Lions    AJ Epenesa, DL, Iowa
11    LA Chargers    Austin Jackson, OT, Southern California 
12    Jacksonville Jaguars    Grant Delpit, S, Louisiana State University
13    Cleveland Browns    Tristian Wirfs, OT, Iowa
14    Oakland Raiders - from Chicago Bears    Isaiah Simmons, DEF, Clemson
15    Philadelphia Eagles    Trevon Diggs, CB, Alabama 
16    Miami Dolphins - from Pittsburgh Steelers    Kristian Fulton, CB, Louisiana State University

I definitely could see Epenesa being the Detroit pick. However, I could also see 4 of the next 6 being the pick, as well. I see Epenesa as being very like Trey Flowers which isn't a bad thing. But they may have other ideas about what kind of players they need as an edge rusher.

Of primary concern this coming of season will be to add a solid OG and replace Rick Wagner, who will be earning big bucks next year, and his play hasn't been worth that cost. Current LT Tyler Decker could perhaps slide over to RT, though that is easier said than done. I personally think Wirfs would be the higher ranked guy, over Austin Jackson (but have not watched enough of him to really judge) on their o-line board because they put such an emphasis on versatility, however he could slot into RT immediately without having to move Decker.

Trevon Diggs just looks like the epitome of what they're looking for at CB. He may not be the best cb or the most athletic, but he fits what they like. Contrastingly, Delpit, Fulton and Simmons are pure studs for their positions and would improve the defense ...  & boy howdy do they need to improve defense. They can't blitz because their linebackers and safeties are poor in coverage (mostly the LBs). And their DTs can't get pressure up the middle, though injuries have really done a number on the d-line. They are running 3-man rush / dropping 8...more than any other team in the league, I believe.

ROUND 2

10    Detroit Lions    Bryce Hall, CB, Virginia
12    Cleveland Browns    Ashtyn Davis, S, California
15    Pittsburgh Steelers    Alaric Jackson, OL, Iowa
16    Tennessee Titans    Shane Lemieux, iOL, Oregon
18    Philadelphia Eagles    Darryl Williams, iOL, Mississippi State
19    LA Rams    Trey Adams, OT, Washington
20    Chicago Bears - from Oakland Raiders    Josh Jones, OT, Houston
22    Houston Texans    Julian Okwara, EDGE, Notre Dame
23    Dallas Cowboys    Neville Gallimore, DT, Oklahoma 
27    Seattle Seahawks    Darrell Taylor, EDGE, Tennessee 
29    Miami Dolphins- New Orleans Saints    Kenny Willekes, EDGE, Michigan State
30    Baltimore Ravens    Troy Dye, ILB, Oregon
31    Atlanta Falcons- New England Patriots    Jonathan Taylor, RB, Wisconsin

Bryce Hall is pretty much just a zone CB which doesn't fit what Detroit is doing with their secondary. Their CBs run man most of the time. If we go OT in the first round, then it's almost a given they go defense in the 2nd. This defense is so bad they could go back to back defense and still load up in free agency there too. I'm not sure why Jonathan Taylor is dropping on boards. He looked like a franchise RB when I saw him... Not that I think the Lions would take him over o-line or defense; I'm just curious.

ROUND 3

10    Detroit    Najee Harris, RB, Alabama 
11    LA Chargers    Jeff Gladney, CB, Texas Christian University
12    Oakland - from Chicago Bears    DeVonta Smith, WR, Alabama 
13    Jacksonville    Cameron Dantzler, CB, Mississippi State
14    Cleveland    Carlos Basham, EDGE, Wake Forest
16    Carolina    Alton Robinson, EDGE, Syracuse
25    Kansas City    Trey Smith, OL, Tennessee 
26    Buffalo    Bradlee Anae, EDGE, Utah
28    Oakland - from Seattle Seahawks    James Lynch, DT, Baylor
30    New Orleans    Monty Rice, LB, Georgia
31    New England    Chase Claypool, WR, Notre Dame

As we get to the 3rd round, the variance in rankings gets higher. Suffice it to say, if the Lions get a difference-maker on defense and an olineman who can start right away, then perhaps rb is not completely off the table. However, if they take d-line and cb, as you've got them going, they will still need o-line (tackle & guard) before any rb has a chance of being successful. They also still need a gap penetrating DT in the worst way.

Past history suggests that their 1st round pick will be a more conservative pick based on position value, + need & high floor. The 2nd & 3rd rounds are where this front office will sometimes go off the reservation and pick a player they think fills a need, regardless of where other scouts/teams/media rankings may have a player. 

Edited by Myth

For the Jets, I like your first two picks. I'd be pumped if we got Jeudy and Humphrey with our first two picks. Personally, I'd go Wirfs with our first pick. Our situation along the OL is historically bad. But that's just me and I could understand if some may think Jeudy is too good to pass up.