Around The NFL: Gameday Talk

Jroc04

2 hours ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I really don't think this is true at all. He certainly isn't special, but he is at least an above average NFL QB. He is actually really accurate from the pocket and can help his team win games. Think the issue is their offense is anemic at times when the running game is shut down and their defense is too up and down.

If I was Tennessee, I would hold on to Mariota for at least another contract to see where he can take them.

Mariota isn't playing well and somehow that team is still in the playoff hunt and has a winning record. That should give a general idea of what's going on there.

I think he missed two games but twelve passing touchdowns on the year at this point is pretty inexcusable for any starting quarterback. And half of those twelve came in three games.
There are only a handful of starting QBs who have thrown more picks than touchdowns. I think by definition if your QB is throwing more picks than touchdowns you're holding your team back. Those quarterbacks with more picks than touchdowns are: Mariota, Kizer, Siemian, Hundley, Beathard and a handful of other sorry quarterbacks not worth mentioning (like Mike Glennon). 

That's really bad company. 

If you told me a starting QB has thrown more picks than touchdowns, and he only has twelve touchdowns on the year, BUT the team has a winning record and is in the playoff hunt... yeah, Mariota's being carried. 

Just now, Phire said:

Mariota isn't playing well and somehow that team is still in the playoff hunt and has a winning record. That should give a general idea of what's going on there.

I think he missed two games but twelve passing touchdowns on the year at this point is pretty inexcusable for any starting quarterback. And half of those twelve came in three games.
There are only a handful of starting QBs who have thrown more picks than touchdowns. I think by definition if your QB is throwing more picks than touchdowns you're holding your team back. Those quarterbacks with more picks than touchdowns are: Mariota, Kizer, Siemian, Hundley, Beathard and a handful of other sorry quarterbacks not worth mentioning (like Mike Glennon). 

That's really bad company. 

If you told me a starting QB has thrown more picks than touchdowns, and he only has twelve touchdowns on the year, BUT the team has a winning record and is in the playoff hunt... yeah, Mariota's being carried. 

They are hardly a good team. They are 8-7 and will likely finish 8-8 in an extremely weak AFC. They have no talent on offense and they have a defense that is mediocre at best. Saying he is getting carried isn't accurate because his team in general is not very good.

Wentz threw 16 TDs and 13 INTs a year ago, this year he threw 33 and 7. I don't like to judge a QB on a single season's stats, one way or the other. Mariota has put up good seasons in the past, and his offensive talent around him this season is pretty terrible outside of his RB's. I don't think Mariota is ever going to be great, but I think he could be in the good enough to win a SB range with the right pieces around him.

1 minute ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

They are hardly a good team. They are 8-7 and will likely finish 8-8 in an extremely weak AFC. They have no talent on offense and they have a defense that is mediocre at best. Saying he is getting carried isn't accurate because his team in general is not very good.

Wentz threw 16 TDs and 13 INTs a year ago, this year he threw 33 and 7. I don't like to judge a QB on a single season's stats, one way or the other. Mariota has put up good seasons in the past, and his offensive talent around him this season is pretty terrible outside of his RB's. I don't think Mariota is ever going to be great, but I think he could be in the good enough to win a SB range with the right pieces around him.

I agree with you, that's not a good team. And the QB is part of the problem in my opinion. There are other quarterbacks around the league who play on much worse teams than the Titans who are performing much better than Mariota is. Particularly when you have a running game like that and you're throwing the ball into favorable coverage. That team is bad and he's part of the problem. 

3 minutes ago, Phire said:

I agree with you, that's not a good team. And the QB is part of the problem in my opinion. There are other quarterbacks around the league who play on much worse teams than the Titans who are performing much better than Mariota is. Particularly when you have a running game like that and you're throwing the ball into favorable coverage. That team is bad and he's part of the problem. 

He is part of the problem, and the Titans could do a lot better, but they could also do a lot worse at QB. He has two more years on his rookie contract, lets see where he goes if the Titans can get him some weapons. I think he will likely be a middle of the pack guy similar to Joe Flacco and Ryan Tannehill.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived