NBA GDT | '19-'20 | RIP KOBE "BLACK MAMBA" BRYANT

champ11

2 hours ago, resilient part 2 said:

what are you expecting and/or hoping for this year from him??

So I've been pretty low on MPJ and trying to expect nothing from him for the last year or so for a couple reasons. Obviously the injury history...but also, the dude hasn't played basketball in 2 years and his high school tape shows a guy that plays like a superstar..IE doesn't pass, takes tough shots off the dribble, and doesn't play defense. And the Nuggets play ball movement basketball so I just have been very low on him coming in and contributing immediately for a contender. He also has been an internet star since 8th grade and wants to be a superstar so I was questioning his buy-in to what the Nuggets do.

BUT ..... his quotes have been honestly fantastic during training camp (talking about role buy in, earning his way to minutes, cutting for Jokic etc etc) essentially going right at my concerns. And then the highlight videos and feedback outta camp have been really good. He definitely is not ready for the speed of the game and there is going to be an adjustment period so he's not gonna come out and be good immediately....but it's hard for me not to get excited for his talent level at this point. 

I think the chance that he is a starting caliber player and gets the minutes/shots for ROY consideration is really low. Like 5%. Would be shocked if he wins the starting role at any point...I think ESPN talking heads are way off base saying MPJ could be a huge impact player for the Nuggets this season. That is just so unlikely with the guy being a rookie and not having played high level ball....ever. But with how his shooting is looking (stroke is gorgeous) and potential buy in to the Nuggets system...it seems like he could be a nice contributor off the bench for 12-15 minutes a game. I would expect him to get backup 3 minutes to start the year and go from there. If he ends up looking like a franchise cornerstone type player...the Nuggets position and roster is absurd lmao. He is the exact player the Nuggets need (big wing) so it's tantalizing what he could become 

But also dude has a weird frame and has had two back surgeries so it's almost more likely that he is never a consistent NBA player than anything. We'll see...very excited to see him play for the first time tomorrow lol. Might look stiff as hell 

• Like 2