2019 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

6 hours ago, DirtyDez said:

Regardless of the reason it’s nuts that they’re actively shopping Mookie.  

Here's the thing to remember.

If they don't think they can compete this year, and given their SP that is a real possibility, then getting a good haul for Betts, in either prospects or salary dump, isn't a bad thing. That is because they are just as likely to sign him as a FA whether he is with them this year or not. In essence trading Betts means you only lose him for THIS SEASON. If you aren't going to compete anyway then that isn't a big deal. I think people put too much value in the idea of resigning someone vs getting them as a FA. 

20 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Here's the thing to remember.

If they don't think they can compete this year, and given their SP that is a real possibility, then getting a good haul for Betts, in either prospects or salary dump, isn't a bad thing. That is because they are just as likely to sign him as a FA whether he is with them this year or not. In essence trading Betts means you only lose him for THIS SEASON. If you aren't going to compete anyway then that isn't a big deal. I think people put too much value in the idea of resigning someone vs getting them as a FA. 

If everything goes perfectly to plan sure.  If they’re willing to give him an open market deal they might as well extend him and not risk it.  

I have a feeling the Dodgers are waiting for the perfect guy to break the bank on...

3 minutes ago, DirtyDez said:

If everything goes perfectly to plan sure.  If they’re willing to give him an open market deal they might as well extend him and not risk it.  

I have a feeling the Dodgers are waiting for the perfect guy to break the bank on...

If they aren't and he isn't willing to give a discount he is gone anyway. There is nothing about him being there that helps them sign him

7 hours ago, DirtyDez said:

Dodgers will get Mookie.  Friedman has been waiting for a moment like this.  

Okay, but why. Bellinger was comparable in RF last season. While some of that was teams not doing their homework, I don't expect him to suddenly become a bad defender. Would they just move him or Mookie to CF then?