Something brewing with Diggs?

Nbanflguy

I’m not absolving him of mistakes. I also think the “Thielen is top 5, Diggs isn’t close” commentary is an overreaction. I’ve gone over why I think that, in a vacuum, Diggs is a better receiver than Thielen before. I’m hoping he snaps out of his focus issues soon.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I’m not absolving him of mistakes. I also think the “Thielen is top 5, Diggs isn’t close” commentary is an overreaction. I’ve gone over why I think that, in a vacuum, Diggs is a better receiver than Thielen before. I’m hoping he snaps out of his focus issues soon.

Right with you on that. Literally every sentence. Diggs is much better than dropping balls, especially since he has led the league or was runner up in contested catch percentage rate the last two years. Ppl try to say thielen is top 5 while diggs barely touches top 15 is just crazy to me also 

• Like 1

I don't get the entire argument about Diggs vs. Thielen....they're both great receivers and don't get why we need to quantify one being better than the other.

I think Thielen is more sure handed and has a bigger catch radius while Diggs has the better big play ability and yards after the catch. Diggs' injury history (tends to miss 2-3 games a season) probably makes me learn towards the more trust worthy Thielen but you can't go wrong with either. It's a pick your poison for defenses and we see that when Diggs is out and Thielen draws the focus of the defense. It'll be the same if Thielen is out.

Right now, I think Digg does indeed have some focus issues and has made glaring mistakes that is very unlike Diggs. I don't know if that's trying to hard or not caring enough or caring too much but it's something he needs to clean up. That doesn't mean he's worse than Thielen but I think that's an area where Thielen slightly bests Diggs.

I guess I just don't see the notion to discuss which one is better. We're VERY lucky to be in this situation after a decade of crap receivers.

• Like 7

Man, I didn’t think it would be remotely controversial to say Thielen is better than Diggs. I’ve thought that was obvious for 2-3 years now, but that is the beauty of sports. Everyone sees different things.

if Thielen was a top-10 pick from the SEC and didn’t play for a Midwest team, I think he would be talked about on the same level as Julio Jones. His skillset is that good.

By the time he retires I see him passing Moss to be Minnesota’s 2nd most productive WR ever (in this jersey) and I think he is more physically talented than Cris Carter. 

I see Diggs as an awesome #2 WR. On a team where is the go-to guy he could be a top-15 WR, but I just don’t think he is nearly as good as Thielen. Not a special player, but very good.

I didn’t mean to put down Diggs, more to appreciate how special Thielen is.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

Man, I didn’t think it would be remotely controversial to say Thielen is better than Diggs. I’ve thought that was obvious for 2-3 years now, but that is the beauty of sports. Everyone sees different things.

if Thielen was a top-10 pick from the SEC and didn’t play for a Midwest team, I think he would be talked about on the same level as Julio Jones. His skillset is that good.

By the time he retires I see him passing Moss to be Minnesota’s 2nd most productive WR ever (in this jersey) and I think he is more physically talented than Cris Carter. 

I see Diggs as an awesome #2 WR. On a team where is the go-to guy he could be a top-15 WR, but I just don’t think he is nearly as good as Thielen. Not a special player, but very good.

I gotta say this is insane. No disrespect to your opinion, but thielen just is not that “special” of a player. I truly believe thielen gets the statistics he has because he has Stefon Diggs on the other side of him. Thielen is an amazing talent, but when you have the teams #2 corner or slot guy following you, if your a great player you will torch that defense. Like if we traded Stefon Diggs tomorrow, I guarantee thielen would struggle mightily with producing at the output that he does. Last year he had 8 straight 100 yard games. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that his production dropped the first game Stefon Diggs got hurt and Darius slay began to shadow him.

i think Diggs is the true number one on this team and I think they are both equally elite with Diggs slightly being better. But to put thielen on the same level as moss and carter? Nah, and I don’t think diggs is there either.

• Like 1

Route Running is what separates Thielen from Diggs.

Thielen can easily be thought of as a top 5 route runner in the league ... and that's what separates himself from Diggs.

From a pure athletic POV, digs win that.

But from a what get on any given sunday ... its Thielen by a decent margin over Diggs.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Thielen can easily be thought of as a top 5 route runner in the league ... and that's what separates himself from Diggs.

But from a what get on any given sunday ... its Thielen by a decent margin over Diggs.

False. Diggs is the premier route runner in the NFL, there's plenty of evidence to back that up - long cuts of him embarrassing DBs, even if he doesn't get the ball.

Both guys are top 10 receivers in the NFL. I'd take Diggs in nearly every situation if I had to chose one.

• Like 3

Just now, JDBrocks said:

False. Diggs is the premier route runner in the NFL, there's plenty of evidence to back that up - long cuts of him embarrassing DBs, even if he doesn't get the ball.

Both guys are top 10 receivers in the NFL. I'd take Diggs in nearly every situation if I had to chose one.

Not false ... but I'm fine with the opinion.

8 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

When you said that, it was right after Diggs dropped the TD. Seemed like a very clear shot at Diggs.

If Diggs is a #2, why does he draw the opposing team's top cover guy and double coverage more often? 

I don't think either guy is in the same stratosphere as Moss and Carter.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

I have to disagree with that statement. There is a reason why most ppl say diggs is the best route runner in the nfl. Reggie Wayne, Richard Sherman, they have all said it. I post in a general thread his avg on basically each route, I’ll find it and repost it. The only true argument you can bring is stats. But we play this game on favorable matchups, diggs normally gets the opposing best corner a majority of the game. Because thielen is so special, he can also beat number one corners, but the #2 is who he gets and he abuses them. 

His success rate against coverages last two years:

Vs Man-

2017: 78.7% 

2018: 77.2% 

Vs Zone-

2017: 83.5%

2018: 84.1%

Vs Press-

2017: 75.5%

2018: 77.1%

He basically gets open all the time. His route running is in the upper echelon of football. Add to the fact that he has either led the league in contested catch percentage or was number 2 in contested catch percentage the last 2 years means that the percentile he wasn’t open, he STILL has a high percentage to catch the ball when blanketed. He is the best route runner in the nfl. 

I am a huge thielen fan, anytime one of the “top” corners in the league comes against us I will advocate that thielen gets first look every time because there is no #2 on any team that can stop him. But Diggs is the true best receiver on our squad.