2019-2020 NCAAB Discussion Thread 1.0: March Madness Canceled

NYRaider

21 minutes ago, DirtyDez said:

Y’all were saying this from 12-15’. 😂

No we weren't lol. I've almost always been anti-Roy but it was always "he needs to retire." He's a lazy recruiter and, outside of those two seasons in 16 and 17, we've been painfully average for a UNC team. This year is the worst year we've had since Matt Doherty and 8-20. 

Five of our last 8 seasons, we've lost 10+ games and only won 30 in 16 and 17. 

Edited by beekay414

5 hours ago, beekay414 said:

No we weren't lol. I've almost always been anti-Roy but it was always "he needs to retire." He's a lazy recruiter and, outside of those two seasons in 16 and 17, we've been painfully average for a UNC team. This year is the worst year we've had since Matt Doherty and 8-20. 

Five of our last 8 seasons, we've lost 10+ games and only won 30 in 16 and 17. 

Adding on to this...In Dean Smith's time at UNC (1961-1997) we lost 10 or more games 5 times. Like I pointed out, we've lost 10+ games 5 times in the last 8 seasons. 

This upcoming top 3 recruiting class (Day'Ron Sharpe, Walker Kessler, Caleb Love, Puff Johnson, RJ Davis) is Roy's last chance IMO. Yes, he's signed through 2028 but dude is already 69 years old and losing his touch. This is our first top 5 recruiting class since 2012. We're UNC, that's friggin' unacceptable. Roy equated recruiting to farming FFS. “You work all year, and you have no idea what it’s going to be like until the crops come in. You just work all year and see what happens.” Like he has no feel for what to expect on the recruiting trail anymore. 

Next year's team should be good, at least. Love and Davis should be the day one starting backcourt (but who the hell knows with Roy, he'll probably start Platek lol) and Day'Ron Sharpe likely joins Armando Bacot or Garrison Brooks as the starting bigs. Wings still need work but that'll be up to how good Puff Johnson is and if we can land one more in this class. Johnson should start too. Seriously, 4 of the current 5 guys we have committed should start. Anthony Harris tore his ACL again so I'm not counting on him as a piece next year.

G: Caleb Love | Jeremiah Francis
G: RJ Davis | Andrew Platek
G/F: Puff Johnson | Leaky Black
F: Armando Bacot or Garrison Brooks 
F: Day'Ron Sharpe | Walker Kessler

We really need Ziaire Williams but he probably ends up at USC. We should be a tournament team next year but I think our lack of back court depth/skill is going to really hold us back from being anything more. If the 2020-2021 team disappoints, I'd expect Roy to seriously contemplate retirement because there's simply no way the school will fire him unless he has back to back losing seasons, which has not happened at North Carolina since the 1951 and 1952 seasons (and we've only had 8 total all-time).

Edited by beekay414