How To Fix A Broken Offense......

soulman

10 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

By QB Rating, Trubisky wasn't awful vs New Orleans

Aaand with that being said, what lesson did we learn today?

But I'll play along :)

Alex Smith, year 1 in KC: 60.6%, 3313 yds, 23 TDs, 7 INTs, 6.5 YPA

Alex Smith, year 5 in KC: 67.5%, 4042 yds, 26 TDs, 5 INTs, 8.0 YPA

What did you learn? xD

16 minutes ago, G08 said:

But I'll play along :)

Alex Smith, year 1 in KC: 60.6%, 3313 yds, 23 TDs, 7 INTs, 6.5 YPA

Alex Smith, year 5 in KC: 67.5%, 4042 yds, 26 TDs, 5 INTs, 8.0 YPA

What did you learn? xD

What? I pointed out that QB Rating, in this case, is garbage because by QB Rating Trubisky wasn't bad against the Saints, when in reality he was complete ****, kind of like when @topwop1 last week talked about his TD/INT ratio, and he seemed to agree that may have been a pointless stat, because by TD's and INT's he was good against the Saints.

So yeah, I learned nothing, besides Smith was far better in year 5 than 1. 

You're arguing with yourself. If Nagy is now willing to admit publicly that Trubisky has to be better and do so rather quickly right now, I'm not sure why you're discussing Trubisky being maybe better in 2022. Do you really think he'll have 3 more seasons after this one? The guy won't even be in the NFL by 2022 if he keeps playing like this.

Edited by beardown3231

13 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

What? I pointed out that QB Rating, in this case, is garbage because by QB Rating Trubisky wasn't bad against the Saints, when in reality he was complete ****

"In this case", which was a scenario you brought up on your own AFTER I presented full season's worth of statistics for Alex Smith.

Hey, Alex: "What is a strawman?" xD

Just sad, dude.

Edited by G08

1 minute ago, G08 said:

In your case, which was a scenario you brought up on your own AFTER I presented full season's worth of statistics for Alex Smith.

Just sad, dude. Sad, disingenuous, and unnecessarily argumentative to the point of looking foolish.

My god dude, is Mitch your brother? You want to call me sad, disingenuous and unnecessarily argumentative but what exactly are you being here?

What exactly IS your point here? You're pointing out that it took Alex Smith 5 years to have a QBR of over 100 in this offense? Wonderful! How many did it take Mahomes or Wentz? How about all of the other QB's who are good across the NFL?

I know Trubisky is your boy but give it up. This isn't going to happen for him. He sucks. 

41 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

My god dude, is Mitch your brother? You want to call me sad, disingenuous and unnecessarily argumentative but what exactly are you being here?

What exactly IS your point here? You're pointing out that it took Alex Smith 5 years to have a QBR of over 100 in this offense? Wonderful! How many did it take Mahomes or Wentz? How about all of the other QB's who are good across the NFL?

I know Trubisky is your boy but give it up. This isn't going to happen for him. He sucks. 

No, we are not related.

Yes, I think what you are doing to spin an argument in your favor is sad, disingenuous and unnecessarily argumentative. I've dealt with people like you a lot in my professional life.... very tired of it.

However, I do find it funny that you started acting like this after I called you out on being dead-wrong about the "sidearm throw to Shaheen". ;)

What am I doing here? Currently: Calling you out on your BS. Overall: I'm here to have civil conversations about ball, not deal with childish pouting.

My point here is that QBs take time to develop. Saying this kid sucks or is a bum or is a bust after 20 games, 14 of which have been victories, and solid numbers overall is foolish to me. Alex Smith, Drew Brees, Tom Brady, etc are QBs who have shown development and improvement in their NFL careers. One shoe does not fit all here as much as you want to point at the shiny toys in the aisle and whine that the one you have isn't as flashy (yet).

My 'boy', nice. He's the QB of my favorite team on the planet. I'm glad you think he sucks, and I sincerely hope he takes your words and shoves them up your *** :)

GO BEARS.... right?

Edited by G08

32 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Does anyone actually remember watching Alex Smith play for the Chiefs? He was the definition of average and ended up losing almost every playoff game he played.

1 minute ago, Nads786 said:

Does anyone actually remember watching Alex Smith play for the Chiefs? He was the definition of average and ended up losing almost every playoff game he played.

I believe Smith accounted for 1 win and 4 losses of Andy Reid's 12-14 playoff record during his coaching tenure.

I'm pretty sure any of us would take 102 TDs to 33 INTs over the course of 76 games for any Bears QB... might be records.

5 minutes ago, G08 said:

I believe Smith accounted for 1 win and 4 losses of Andy Reid's 12-14 playoff record during his coaching tenure.

I'm pretty sure any of us would take 102 TDs to 33 INTs over the course of 76 games for any Bears QB... might be records.

I totally agree those stats look great, but Alex Smith is not an amazing QB. I expected Mitches floor worst case scenario to be Alex Smith.

3 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

I totally agree those stats look great, but Alex Smith is not an amazing QB. I expected Mitches floor worst case scenario to be Alex Smith.

I agree that he's not am amazing QB. He's one you can win with, though, as he's proven in KC.

Mitch as a whole in this system has been good, but this season has barely been serviceable, thus far. He's got 9 games to turn it around or it will be time to bring in competition or even move on for good.

I don't know what's going to happen, he might turn it around, he might catch fire, he might flame out. No idea whatsoever but I'm hoping for the best and rooting for the kid.

Edited by G08
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, G08 said:

I agree that he's not am amazing QB. He's one you can win with, though, as he's proven in KC.

Mitch as a whole in this system has been good, but this season has barely been serviceable, thus far. He's got 9 games to turn it around or it will be time to bring in competition or even move on for good.

I don't know what's going to happen, he might turn it around, he might catch fire, he might flame out. No idea whatsoever but I'm hoping for the best and rooting for the kid.

I really hope he turns it around. I’m nervous this scheme is just not QB friendly. A Shannahan scheme would be so much better for Mitch.

Can we just run the ball and have Mitch throw via PA.

6 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

I really hope he turns it around. I’m nervous this scheme is just not QB friendly. A Shannahan scheme would be so much better for Mitch.

Can we just run the ball and have Mitch throw via PA.

Funny you say that, I think that's going to be Nagy's approach moving forward. Plenty of plays out of the I and other two-back sets that Nagy observed while in KC. It's there, he just needs to commit to it.

I heard Anthony Herron say it on the radio the other day... you don't always need to be the smartest man in the room (read: out-scheme the defense with smoke and mirrors). Sometimes you need to line up and impose your will on the opposition and use your 'tricks' as an adjunct to your offense instead of the inverse.

I'm watching Jimmy Garoppolo operate a pretty damned basic passing game right now based off an outstanding running game... zero reason we can't do that (or some derivative of based on our scheme).   *oh look, he just missed on a wide open WR down the field

Edited by G08
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, G08 said:

edward_scissorhands_yes.gif

6 minutes ago, G08 said:

Funny you say that, I think that's going to be Nagy's approach moving forward. Plenty of plays out of the I and other two-back sets that Nagy observed while in KC. It's there, he just needs to commit to it.

I heard Anthony Herron say it on the radio the other day... you don't always need to be the smartest man in the room (read: out-scheme the defense with smoke and mirrors). Sometimes you need to line up and impose your will on the opposition and use your 'tricks' as an adjunct to your offense instead of the inverse.

Nagy is holding the team back. I think, even with all of our disparate opinions on everything, we can all agree upon that. 

Edited by Heinz D.

53 minutes ago, G08 said:

No, we are not related.

Had me fooled...

Yes, I think what you are doing to spin an argument in your favor is sad, disingenuous and unnecessarily argumentative. I've dealt with people like you a lot in my professional life.... very tired of it.

Unnecessarily? Sure, if you believe thinking TD/INT ratio and QBR are indicative of how "well" Trubisky has played, then yes it's unnecessary.

However, I do find it funny that you started acting like this after I called you out on being dead-wrong about the "sidearm throw to Shaheen". ;)

You split the difference and said it was 3/4. Whether it was sidearm or 3/4, it was idiotic and NOT a good/smart play by a 3rd year "improving" QB."

What am I doing here? Currently: Calling you out on your BS. Overall: I'm here to have civil conversations about ball, not deal with childish pouting.

What BS is that exactly? You haven't pointed that out. You're saying Trubisky needs 3 more years (apparently) while Nagy apparently doesn't think so. Development isn't linear blah blah blah. You're right except year three regression typically is and it usually signifies a bad player

My point here is that QBs take time to develop. Saying this kid sucks or is a bum or is a bust after 20 games, 14 of which have been victories, and solid numbers overall is foolish to me. Alex Smith, Drew Brees, Tom Brady, etc are QBs who have shown development and improvement in their NFL careers. One shoe does not fit all here as much as you want to point at the shiny toys in the aisle and whine that the one you have isn't as flashy (yet).

Yes exactly and Mitch has NOT. Yes I know the QBR supports your argument but in what games has he played well and improved? The Washington game against the league's worst defense? Or the LA game where he turned the ball over twice and missed 3 touchdowns? GB- bad. DEN- slightly better than bad. MIN- incomplete. NO- bad.

My 'boy', nice. He's the QB of my favorite team on the planet. I'm glad you think he sucks, and I sincerely hope he takes your words and shoves them up your *** :)

Don't hold your breath.

GO BEARS.... right?

Yeah, go, as in go into the offseason and find someone to be the QB who isn't terrible