How To Fix A Broken Offense......

soulman

The thing with is that we pretty much all agree he is a bust. The problem is currently on this roster there aren't any better options. As bad as he's been I don't think there are any good options outside of hamstringing our team via draft picks or salary cap this offseason.

My say is just roll the dice on a late round QB. At best he can be starting caliber and at worst he'll be our crappy backup at very low cost efficiency. Even though people want to fault Pace for missing on Mitch, we can also fault him for not drafting for QBs more often. You don't always have to spend premium draft capital to draft a QB, there have been mid to late round QBs that have proven success recently like Wilson and Prescott. If you fail on hitting a late pick the consequence is minimal, but if you draft a solid QB (even if you had a franchise QB) you can trade away your asset for more draft picks.

I don't understand why teams don't take the backup QB more seriously. If you have a good backup, you can trade him for valuable draft picks in the middle of the season where teams are desperate if their QB is injured.

Edited by BACK2MACKSACK

31 minutes ago, BACK2MACKSACK said:

The thing with is that we pretty much all agree he is a bust. The problem is currently on this roster there aren't any better options. As bad as he's been I don't think there are any good options outside of hamstringing our team via draft picks or salary cap this offseason.

My say is just roll the dice on a late round QB. At best he can be starting caliber and at worst he'll be our crappy backup at very low cost efficiency. Even though people want to fault Pace for missing on Mitch, we can also fault him for not drafting for QBs more often. You don't always have to spend premium draft capital to draft a QB, there have been mid to late round QBs that have proven success recently like Wilson and Prescott. If you fail on hitting a late pick the consequence is minimal, but if you draft a solid QB (even if you had a franchise QB) you can trade away your asset for more draft picks.

I don't understand why teams don't take the backup QB more seriously. If you have a good backup, you can trade him for valuable draft picks in the middle of the season where teams are desperate if their QB is injured.

It's a good idea in theory but how often does this actually happen?

I agree with you though that they should draft a QB every other year because why not. It never hurts to have good and affordable QB depth.

Right now we have a $5M backup who we cannot turn to because he's pretty much a QB coach that offers little value on the field 

As for rolling the dice on a late round QB...that's fine but don't just go with that and Trubisky into next season. You need another capable starter in the mix. 

54 minutes ago, G08 said:

I don't think putting Mitch on IR would have been a smart move. He's got 9 games remaining to show that he's figuring things out. If he doesn't, might be the beginning of the end for him.

Fair enough.  He can have these next 9 games. I am very interested to see how he handles this adversity. I really want to see the guy succeed I'm just not overly optimistic right now. I've already resgined myself to the reality that he is probably not the answer.

8 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Fair enough.  He can have these next 9 games. I am very interested to see how he handles this adversity. I really want to see the guy succeed I'm just not overly optimistic right now. I've already resgined myself to the reality that he is probably not the answer.

I’m interested as well. If he can succeed with this much pressure on him he can turn around his career.

lets see what the kids made of.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

That thought comes and goes with me... it's just so God damned disappointing but it's the Bears. I can't even act like I'm surprised anymore. 

The game clicks for players at different times. If he's held to the standard of the #2 overall pick then I think he's going to be considered a bust... that's on Pace/Nagy. I just want to see some gradual improvement. Throws get missed, I watched Mahomes and Watson both do that numerous times. INTs get thrown as well. There just needs to be less of a hyperfocus on these issues to the point where anything positive is ignored.

Clean up that INT, the corner bailed and baited you and you missed it.

Work on your touch to the middle of the field. He hit a few throws that he was missing this season, but still overthrew Gabriel by a solid 2-3 yards. Either wait an extra second before you make that throw, or drill down your footwork and keep repping that throw until you know exactly how much power to put into that ball once your back foot hits. That **** is fixable to me.

Mitch gets the next 9 games, maybe that 1% remaining chance that he is not a bust comes through.

But people say something is "fixable", then why hasn't it been fixed yet? He is actively getting worse. If this was getting fixed it would have been done so already.

At the pace of "gradual improvement" we are seeing, Hicks, Mack, Jackson, Fuller, will be doing TV work and opening BBQ joints before we have an above average QB.

46 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Mitch gets the next 9 games, maybe that 1% remaining chance that he is not a bust comes through.

But people say something is "fixable", then why hasn't it been fixed yet? He is actively getting worse. If this was getting fixed it would have been done so already.

At the pace of "gradual improvement" we are seeing, Hicks, Mack, Jackson, Fuller, will be doing TV work and opening BBQ joints before we have an above average QB.

There is no fix. It's very rare for a player to improve to the level we are expecting Mitch to. At best we can hope he turns into Mariota or Tannehill. Busts are identified pretty quick, we just can't stomach that reality so we make every excuse for them. 

21 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

There is no fix. It's very rare for a player to improve to the level we are expecting Mitch to. At best we can hope he turns into Mariota or Tannehill. Busts are identified pretty quick, we just can't stomach that reality so we make every excuse for them. 

Agreed.

In 3 years he has gone from average to bad. I am not sure that we can expect 9 games for him to even get back to average let alone good.

11 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

oof, what happens if Mitch improves to slightly above average?  Do you trust that to continue in that situation?  This is ugly.  I think no matter what you have to make the QB competition we're all thinking about.

I think we can learn a lot from the Cutler years. Cutler teased us with his talent all the time. He threw 4 ints against the Packers his first game as a Bear and then the next went on to beat a really good Steelers team. Mitch clearly has the talent, I just don't think he'll ever be consistent enough in the NFL. I just re watched the highlights from last Sunday's game and that 4th quarter drive was really good. 

I just don't think he'll be able to consistently put together a 1-3 TD game week in and week out. All the top QBs need to be do that on a weekly basis, unless they face an insane defense. 

23 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

I think we can learn a lot from the Cutler years. Cutler teased us with his talent all the time. He threw 4 ints against the Packers his first game as a Bear and then the next went on to beat a really good Steelers team. Mitch clearly has the talent, I just don't think he'll ever be consistent enough in the NFL. I just re watched the highlights from last Sunday's game and that 4th quarter drive was really good. 

I just don't think he'll be able to consistently put together a 1-3 TD game week in and week out. All the top QBs need to be do that on a weekly basis, unless they face an insane defense. 

They should be able to learn from the Cutler mistake, the Bortles mistake and the Mariota mistake of what not to do with a guy you are not completely sold on.  If Mitch is going to get another contract with the Bears then let him earn it and prove it.  Don't blindly give this guy $22M by exercising his 5th year option as that would be such a foolish move.

Perhaps it's a bit of fan shellshock, but if I were ownership here, I would demand a strategy going forward that involved drafting early  QBs every year and not trading picks until the QB situation is solved with a top 10 guy and even then I'm still leaning on my GM to keep acquiring guys and prioritize high upside QB picks later in drafts.  It's just so frustrating to see teams that have a 10 yr superbowl window because of QB and we're rushing to figure something out in a 3 year window because of the defense

16 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

Perhaps it's a bit of fan shellshock, but if I were ownership here, I would demand a strategy going forward that involved drafting early  QBs every year and not trading picks until the QB situation is solved with a top 10 guy and even then I'm still leaning on my GM to keep acquiring guys and prioritize high upside QB picks later in drafts.  It's just so frustrating to see teams that have a 10 yr superbowl window because of QB and we're rushing to figure something out in a 3 year window because of the defense

That is why we are going to see a veteran signed who can start. Bridgewater or Foles.

The draft is too big a risk for Pace.

• Like 2