Players That Should be on the Trade Block

MKnight82

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

The bottom 3 we'd have to get the right return to move imo, I wouldn't just dump them for anything.  Regarding the cap hit on Collins, it doesn't really matter we don't need a bunch of cap space next year we won't be competing for anything.  

As you say, cap space is not an issue so there is no reason to trade him.  Unlike Bruce Allen I would consider trading any player at any time for the right price,  but I don't see Collins as an ideal option unless we got a kings ransom.   The cap hit is just too much and he is exactly what you want, a talented player in his prime.

I guess after some thought, I would be open to trading Scherff for a 1st round pick.  Good chance we lose him anyways.

I think you are crazy on Payne though.  He has been a consistent bright spot.  If anything you go the other way and trade Settle.  Although I wouldn't trade either.  

If you are really open to trading a young talent like Payne, then why you are at it, why not Allen?  Unlike Payne, he continues to accrue injuries.  

What if we could get a 3rd rounder for Josh Norman?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Kerrigan?

Especially if we're lucky enough to draft Young next year.

Obvious choice. Regardless of whether we’re able to draft Young. 

Kerrigan is a great player. 4th in the league with 60.5 sacks over the past 5+ years. 2nd only to Chandler Jones in sacks since 2013 — tied with Von Miller over that period, a guy who many consider a HOF pass-rusher. An absolutely underrated star, he would bring back a significant draft pick (or multiple picks) if we moved him. 

He’s got 1.5 years left on his contract. And I know I’m a huge pessimist compared to most of you pollyannas around here, but I think there’s a small chance we won’t be very competitive for those 1.5 seasons. Which would place us in the awkward position of having to decide whether to give a new contract to a 33-year-old franchise hero. We could avoid it entirely by trading him now, and letting him play out his career on a team that has a chance to make some noise. 

On a somewhat related note, I’m looking at some of the perceived top HC candidates on the defensive side of the ball (Kris Richard, Matt Eberflus, Dennis Allen, Robert Saleh, even more Mike Tomlin), and they’re largely 4-3 guys. It seems like the winds of league trends are blowing in the direction of either the Tampa 2 or the Seattle LOB model. Bowles is a true hybrid guy and Pettine is a 3-4 guy to the core, but for the most part the options out there are guys that will be looking to overhaul the defense a bit.

And I don’t know how well Kerrigan and Sweat fit together on a 4-man DL. Having watched him for the first 7 weeks, I could definitely get behind the idea of bulking Sweat up into an Adrian Clayborn/Cameron Jordan type super-athlete LE, but is Kerrigan really that explosive RE who will threaten QBs from a 3-point stance? I don’t know that he is. That is (ideally) where Chase Young would come in, but even if we’re not going to get that specific, I think we need to acknowledge that major changes are likely incoming. And we need to be moving aggressively ahead of those changes, rather than waiting until the changes have already been made — and devalued certain players who no longer squarely “fit” with our personnel needs. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

I considered all of those but figured we wouldn't net a return for any of them.  

Case yes, agreed. Just you never know.

Norman - someone knows how to use him properly despite his regression, we can get something. 

Ryan Anderson - young enough maybe someone thinks they can fix him. 

Patriots are signing Ben Watson ... I'm sure Vernon could net something.

AP is still valuable as a change back - maybe someone gets hurt. 

All unlikely but possible.

14 minutes ago, offbyone said:

As you say, cap space is not an issue so there is no reason to trade him.  Unlike Bruce Allen I would consider trading any player at any time for the right price,  but I don't see Collins as an ideal option unless we got a kings ransom.   The cap hit is just too much and he is exactly what you want, a talented player in his prime.

I guess after some thought, I would be open to trading Scherff for a 1st round pick.  Good chance we lose him anyways.

I think you are crazy on Payne though.  He has been a consistent bright spot.  If anything you go the other way and trade Settle.  Although I wouldn't trade either.  

If you are really open to trading a young talent like Payne, then why you are at it, why not Allen?  Unlike Payne, he continues to accrue injuries.  

What if we could get a 3rd rounder for Josh Norman?

Agree with you totally, except with even the suggestion of the possibility of getting a 3rd for Josh Norman at this point. If we got even a 4th or 5th, that would be a great deal for us.

He’s playing poorly, he’s grossly overpaid, and for our purposes, he’s kinda in the way of doing some real evaluation on younger guys. I’d really like to spend the rest of the season getting an actual look at a secondary that includes Dunbar and Moreau on the outside and Moreland in the slot. Let’s see what those guys can do together, so we can figure out how much of a need CB is for us moving forward. 

I guess I also disagree with the idea of holding out for a 1st for Scherff, I’d happily take a solid 2nd for him instead of giving him a league-topping contract. His play doesn’t really warrant that, and his durability certainly doesn’t. 

15 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Obvious choice. Regardless of whether we’re able to draft Young. 

Kerrigan is a great player. 4th in the league with 60.5 sacks over the past 5+ years. 2nd only to Chandler Jones in sacks since 2013 — tied with Von Miller over that period, a guy who many consider a HOF pass-rusher. An absolutely underrated star, he would bring back a significant draft pick (or multiple picks) if we moved him. 

He’s got 1.5 years left on his contract. And I know I’m a huge pessimist compared to most of you pollyannas around here, but I think there’s a small chance we won’t be very competitive for those 1.5 seasons. Which would place us in the awkward position of having to decide whether to give a new contract to a 33-year-old franchise hero. We could avoid it entirely by trading him now, and letting him play out his career on a team that has a chance to make some noise. 

On a somewhat related note, I’m looking at some of the perceived top HC candidates on the defensive side of the ball (Kris Richard, Matt Eberflus, Dennis Allen, Robert Saleh, even more Mike Tomlin), and they’re largely 4-3 guys. It seems like the winds of league trends are blowing in the direction of either the Tampa 2 or the Seattle LOB model. Bowles is a true hybrid guy and Pettine is a 3-4 guy to the core, but for the most part the options out there are guys that will be looking to overhaul the defense a bit.

And I don’t know how well Kerrigan and Sweat fit together on a 4-man DL. Having watched him for the first 7 weeks, I could definitely get behind the idea of bulking Sweat up into an Adrian Clayborn/Cameron Jordan type super-athlete LE, but is Kerrigan really that explosive RE who will threaten QBs from a 3-point stance? I don’t know that he is. That is (ideally) where Chase Young would come in, but even if we’re not going to get that specific, I think we need to acknowledge that major changes are likely incoming. And we need to be moving aggressively ahead of those changes, rather than waiting until the changes have already been made — and devalued certain players who no longer squarely “fit” with our personnel needs. 

I can't really argue with any of this post, the only reason I would hang on to Kerrigan is for pure fandom reasons and wanting to see him close out his career as a Redskin.  But I could get on board sending him to a place where he could actually make plays in the playoffs.  

On your point about 4-3 scheme possibly being the future of the defense, that also bring into discussion the Allen, Payne, Ioannidis trio that currently start.  Now if we don't take Young, I think the answer would be to have Allen play an oversized LE or maybe slim down a little, with a starting lineup of Sweat, Ioannidis, Payne, Allen.  But if you bring Young into the mix one of the bigs become expendable.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Agree with you totally, except with even the suggestion of the possibility of getting a 3rd for Josh Norman at this point. If we got even a 4th or 5th, that would be a great deal for us.

He’s playing poorly, he’s grossly overpaid, and for our purposes, he’s kinda in the way of doing some real evaluation on younger guys. I’d really like to spend the rest of the season getting an actual look at a secondary that includes Dunbar and Moreau on the outside and Moreland in the slot. Let’s see what those guys can do together, so we can figure out how much of a need CB is for us moving forward.

If Norman is still on the roster after the trade deadline we should honestly just cut him.  It would allow us to evaluate other players at the position and give him the opportunity to revive his career elsewhere.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

If Norman is still on the roster after the trade deadline we should honestly just cut him.  It would allow us to evaluate other players at the position and give him the opportunity to revive his career elsewhere.

We could still try and trade him next year.

8 minutes ago, offbyone said:

We could still try and trade him next year.

His contract is fully non-guaranteed money next year, I think its highly unlikely that we don't cut him in the offseason. Also, based on his play this season his $15.5 mil cap hit makes him nearly untradeable.  

Edited by MKnight82

Trent-Shoulda been traded when Texans called preseason,shoud be on Cleveland now if we had a gm

Scherff-Offer him a contract that we like if he turns it down should trade him for a 2nd or 3rd.

Vernon-trade him to a team that needs a TE if he clears concussion protocal

Norman,Case,or Prich-Trade if a team gives us anything

Kerrigan--I'd listen to offers but not sure what I'd take for him

Ap-If someone wants him him trade him

I Expect Danny to try to go BIG in free agents(to get excitement back) so not expecting comp picks,so anyone in final year of deal should be tradeable