DEN trades WR Manny Sanders and 2020 5th to San Francisco for their 2020 3rd & 4th round picks

Broncofan

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Sanders said he was open to a trade after the TEN game, no?   I do get there was no reason to say more than that...

He also if you remember mysteriously pulled himself out of the TEN game with a 'knee injury' but was somehow full and clear to play just 4 days later with KC. I am going to assume he had a blowup about how the offense was operating and his target share compared to Sutton. 

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

He was clearly referring to some tantrum of sorts with Sanders, but there was no reason to go there. The only people mad at Elway right now are just venting previous frustrations, this move was a no-brainer even if Sanders was a model teammate. This was a day to pay some respects to Sanders for the 6 years he put in, not craft a narrative you don't even need. 

Edited by BroncoBruin
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, AkronsWitness said:

He also if you remember mysteriously pulled himself out of the TEN game with a 'knee injury' but was somehow full and clear to play just 4 days later with KC. I am going to assume he had a blowup about how the offense was operating and his target share compared to Sutton. 

Bingo... but who cares good luck to him in San Francisco Elway played the hand dealt beautifully. 

3 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

He was clearly referring to some tantrum of sorts with Sanders, but there was no reason to go there. The only people mad at Elway right now are just venting previous frustrations, this move was a no-brainer even if Sanders was a model teammate. 

I just saw it.  Yeah, not awful...but completely unnecessary, too.

This will blow over, but man, Elway's got to rein in that impulse to add in extra stuff.   Remember when he said that additional "there's no guaranteed we'll get it done - it works both ways" on a Harris restructure?  Totally set off Harris, who's bled for the team.  Meanwhile, the restructure gets done a week later...but that drama was just on Elway bringing it up.  A good GM doesn't add fuel to the fire.

This is small potatoes, but wish Elway would stop with this stuff.  It just makes his job harder.  Unnecessarily so.

Edited by Broncofan

7 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

This is small potatoes, but wish Elway would stop with this stuff.  It just makes his job harder.  Unnecessarily so.

He said Sanders has had issues, the team has had issues therefore it was best if the two sides went in a different direction given the compensation. 

A reporter then asked what happened after the Tennessee game? Am I missing something?

5 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

He said Sanders has had issues, the team has had issues therefore it was best if the two sides went in a different direction given the compensation. 

A reporter then asked what happened after the Tennessee game? Am I missing something?

The simple thing to do there is to say how much Manny has meant to the team, the franchise, the SB year.  But it was time to move on given the compensation.   The rest is completely unnecessary.   No one is questioning why we should move on.    

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The simple thing to do there is to say how much Manny has meant to the team, the franchise, the SB year.  But it was time to move on given the compensation.   The rest is completely unnecessary.   No one is questioning why we should move on.    

He said Manny was a nice player for us and played hard making a ton of catches what else do we expect ?

A parade? He asked out was granted that request to a contender. That's respect. 

Edited by thebestever6
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, thebestever6 said:

He said Manny was a nice player for us and played hard making a ton of catches what else do we expect ?

A parade? He asked out was granted that request to a contender. That's respect. 

Like I said before, it's small potatoes, but just unnecessary.  It's not a deal breaker, but Elway's penchant for adding in the extra tweak comments when they aren't called for, it only makes the job harder when it adds emotions to both sides.  Here, Sanders is going - so there's nothing really needed other than to wish him well, and thank him for his past contributions.   But it's also not worth any more discussion, too small of an issue today to really get worked about it one way or the other.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Does this open a door for Winfree?

It better given how highly they spoke of him and how well he looked in the preseason. If this random Fred Brown dude takes snaps from him it would be baffling. Also, give Spencer some touches for the simple fact that hes a little Trindon Holiday type who you can have scripted big gain plays for. I want a exciting offense for the first time since 2015. Even if it goes down in shambles give the young guys a chance to make plays. Trotting Flacco out there to throw dump offs and running Royce Freeman off tackle every other play is not only losing, but its boring and uninspiring football.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Does this open a door for Winfree?

3 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

It better given how highly they spoke of him and how well he looked in the preseason. If this random Fred Brown dude takes snaps from him it would be baffling. Also, give Spencer some touches for the simple fact that hes a little Trindon Holiday type who you can have scripted big gain plays for. I want a exciting offense for the first time since 2015. Even if it goes down in shambles give the young guys a chance to make plays. Trotting Flacco out there to throw dump offs and running Royce Freeman off tackle every other play is not only losing, but its boring and uninspiring football.

I have zero problem if we go Sutton-Hamilton-Winfree as our top 3 until Tim Patrick is back and even then, I'm fine with letting Winfree show us if there is anything there.  But I would also not get invested in any of these guys long-term. 

I'll say it again - I hope we hit the mid-level tier for WR2, and draft a WR on Day 2.  Move up if we need an impact player.   Winfree will almost certainly have a 2020 roster spot, and by default, so will Hamilton - but that's it, and it should NOT stop us from thinking about geting a 2nd/3rd WR (the FA for immediate impact, and the draft for our long-term Robin to Sutton's Batman).

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1