Drew Brees is back

bucsfan333

The only debate was whether or not you should let Teddy play this game and give Brees 2 extra weeks of rest to get back into it. No debate whatsoever about benching Teddy for Brees when he's ready, this is Brees' team and he's one of the best to ever do it lol.

Also, Teddy has been good but not "so elite it's worth benching Drew Brees for" good.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mse326 said:

Players always want in. It's the coaches job to think of the team. Giving him 2 more weeks was probably best for the team. Payton needs to be able to make that call, so this isn't on Brees. Payton certainly can disagree that more time is needed, and that is fine. But this isn't about Brees wanting in, or at least shouldn't be.

Agreed. Mahomes wants to play on Sunday but the team needs to do whats right unless your team doesnt care about you 

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

... you're aware that Drew Brees is probably in the "Top 10 QBs of All Time" conversation and still playing at a very high level, right?

Teddy didn't lose games. Drew wins games. There's a pretty big difference between those two statements. This isn't a Tom Brady/Drew Bledsoe situation. Drew was, is and will be the better option for the Saints at any given point.

The lone exception being if Brees isn't 100% and is rushing himself back.  I guess we'll find out tomorrow.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

The lone exception being if Brees isn't 100% and is rushing himself back.  I guess we'll find out tomorrow.

The question was posed as a chemistry issue. Unless Bridgewater was putting up "healthy Mahomes" sort of numbers, there's no amount of chemistry that would justify starting Bridgewater over Brees. 

None whatsoever.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, drd23 said:

I wonder how much the potential of Brady beating him to the passing TD record is pushing Brees to come back early?

returning early is what I never understood . Is there a chance he reinsures this by throwing the football? If so, why not wait a few more weeks, especially since Teddy winning as much as he has ?

8 hours ago, HoboRocket said:

In 2015, he went down with (I believe) the same injury that held Peyton out pretty much all season. The difference is that Brees missed one game. 

He had some kind of shoulder injury in 2015 that caused him to miss the game.  He did have a torn plantar fascia that same year towards the end of the year, but he missed no games from it.

1 hour ago, PapaShogun said:

Don't think Brees cares about records. Certainly not at the expense of his health. I'd put money on the reasons simply being he's a competitor, and wants to play.

As someone who has watched Brees do interviews and social media appearances for almost 15 years now, I totally disagree lol.

I think this quick return is mostly about records.

Edited by Dome

5 hours ago, 3rivers said:

returning early is what I never understood . Is there a chance he reinsures this by throwing the football? If so, why not wait a few more weeks, especially since Teddy winning as much as he has ?

He’s been throwing (to some extent) for a few weeks now. 

he was back at practice caching easy swing passes for the other QBs within like 2-3 weeks of his surgery being over, probably over a month ago I’m sure. 

It might be a kind of injury where they’re not really worried about re-injury, especislly with the multiple braces he’ll be wearing (he’ll be wearing an external brace as well as the internal brace thats inside his thumb). That was my assumption when I saw him out caching passes in early October, it must not have a high risk of re-injury.

Edited by Dome

1 hour ago, Dome said:

I think this quick return is mostly about records.

He likes his records, but I don't think that's why he's coming back so quick.  He's played through injuries before and just doesn't sit out, even if his performance suffers for it, like 2010.

I remember Favre saying he hoped Majkowski got hurt so he could play.  And he also played through injuries so as not to lose his job like so many do.  It's just the way these guys are.  They'll play every game and throw 6 picks a game if they let them.  They're not gonna voluntarily sit out because it might be better for the team.  It's up to the coach to make them sit.  

17 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

He likes his records, but I don't think that's why he's coming back so quick.  He's played through injuries before and just doesn't sit out, even if his performance suffers for it, like 2010.

I remember Favre saying he hoped Majkowski got hurt so he could play.  And he also played through injuries so as not to lose his job like so many do.  It's just the way these guys are.  They'll play every game and throw 6 picks a game if they let them.  They're not gonna voluntarily sit out because it might be better for the team.  It's up to the coach to make them sit.  

Eh. Brees knows he’s not at risk of losing his job. That’s a non-starter for me.

and brees understands the power he has. If he’s saying things like “I’ll tell Sean I’m ready when I’m going to play” and “I’m back” on social media he knows what kind of a position that puts his coach in too. 

it’s not like a middling level QB telling his coach he’s gonna play through injury. 

I still put a ton of this on Brees. probably most of it. I think he needs to sit and I think he’s putting his ego before the team. But that’s just me