SNF: New York Giants at Dallas Cowboys

titans0021

14 minutes ago, The LBC said:

True.  But, quality of defenses played today aside, he was at best today the 2nd-best QB from his draft class (and there's certainly room for debate that Wentz had as strong or a stronger performance - in spite of the mistakes he did make) and that working with the strongest supporting cast of any of the three.

His progression, again small sample-size but he also had 40 attempts in this 1 game, appears to be at a rate that's slowed below that of the others.  And for the moment, I'm seeing someone who may be a "franchise QB" in the same respect that guys like Andy Dalton and Alex Smith are "franchise QB's," which is certainly not congruent with the hype he was receiving from folks in the offseason.

We are only 1 game into his second season, so it's still too early to say, but Prescott was never likely to have that kind of progression, where he just starts jumping off the screen at you. I think his progression will be more Brady like, because that fits him more stylistically, than some of the other gunslinger types, who might have more wow moments, but hurt their team as much as help with more bone headed plays. Dak's strengths are his intangibles. I think his ceiling is higher than Dalton and Smith because of those intangibles, which I think are at a different level. But a ceiling doesn't mean he reaches it, and if he becomes Alex Smith but without all the OC changes and has quality talent around him, then he likely has a better career than Smith has had, and maybe a ring or 2. Maybe puts him in the Aikman category, which is still a damn good outcome.

2 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Some of that lack of pressure definitely looked schemed - meaning there's a good chance that with Lawrence getting home with relative ease on the left, Crawford was given more of a contain assignment on the right.  Flowers wasn't put on skates but maybe once tonight but he also wasn't getting ANY push of note and in the instances where he got to the second level he looked lost (and that's me being nice, more often than not he looked lazy and uncoordinated).

He was consistently high in his stance - knee bend was negligible - and Crawford really isn't much of a speed-rusher like he's more-often-than-not going to face at LOT.  Just a lot of traits and stuff that, while they weren't a liability this game, suggest that he's likely to be a liability in future games. 

That's fair. He isn't lazy just uncoordinated. Him being high in his stance is nothing new, that's why I said from a technique standpoint he still bad. 

I haven't really followed our team all offseason and preseason but from what I've heard he has improved but then again, what is that even saying? 

Just now, The LBC said:

Part of the reason Wilson is/has had to be very cautious is because he's yet to have a good OL in front of him.  You put Russ behind that Dallas OL and you've got something closer to Rodgers (definitely not a Rodgers clone, but someone who is very likely a consistent Top 5 QB) than a Smith or Dalton.

The thing is...he had a very, very good rushing attack for his first few years in the league and a functional OL.  It's an abortion now, but I still don't think Russell has the inherent passing ability to be above a top 7 QB.  He can still be very good, but never the level a Jameis, Mariota, or Wentz could get to.  

Alex Smith is also playing with the best offense he has ever had and he's pissed about Mahomes.  He could be fun this year.

26 minutes ago, The LBC said:

True.  But, quality of defenses played today aside, he was at best today the 2nd-best QB from his draft class (and there's certainly room for debate that Wentz had as strong or a stronger performance - in spite of the mistakes he did make) and that working with the strongest supporting cast of any of the three.

His progression, again small sample-size but he also had 40 attempts in this 1 game, appears to be at a rate that's slowed below that of the others.  And for the moment, I'm seeing someone who may be a "franchise QB" in the same respect that guys like Andy Dalton and Alex Smith are "franchise QB's," which is certainly not congruent with the hype he was receiving from folks in the offseason.

LBC, you're playing with fire here. Don't get me started on Goff. ;)

1 minute ago, Ragnarok said:

The thing is...he had a very, very good rushing attack for his first few years in the league and a functional OL.  It's an abortion now, but I still don't think Russell has the inherent passing ability to be above a top 7 QB.  He can still be very good, but never the level a Jameis, Mariota, or Wentz could get to.  

Alex Smith is also playing with the best offense he has ever had and he's pissed about Mahomes.  He could be fun this year.

Agree about Smith. If the drafting of Mahomes doesn't light a fire under him, nothing will.

Just now, Ragnarok said:

Honestly, if Russell Wilson wasn't sub 6'0" he'd have gone comfortably in the Top 10 of his draft class.  The "intangibles" that others are saying they've seen from Dak (which I, honestly, haven't - at least not at the pro level, I saw some at Mississippi State), I've seen plenty from Russ.

Alex Smith got crapped on more than he deserved - and it wasn't just the rotating slate of OC's, it was people that were upset that he wasn't the prototypical QB people had thought he was (that he was billed as) when he came out and he was - fairly/unfairly, it's honestly subjective - constantly held up for comparison against Rodgers because the Niners chose him over Aaron.  Two of the more underrated QB's of the last decade and a half have been Smith and Cutler, for different reasons but the same end result.

1 minute ago, The LBC said:

Honestly, if Russell Wilson wasn't sub 6'0" he'd have gone comfortably in the Top 10 of his draft class.  The "intangibles" that others are saying they've seen from Dak (which I, honestly, haven't - at least not at the pro level, I saw some at Mississippi State), I've seen plenty from Russ.

Alex Smith got crapped on more than he deserved - and it wasn't just the rotating slate of OC's, it was people that were upset that he wasn't the prototypical QB people had thought he was (that he was billed as) when he came out and he was - fairly/unfairly, it's honestly subjective - constantly held up for comparison against Rodgers because the Niners chose him over Aaron.  Two of the more underrated QB's of the last decade and a half have been Smith and Cutler, for different reasons but the same end result.

Very likely.  But he is under 6'0" and I really believe it limits him.  There are certain passing lanes he just can't see.  That's why I think he will never quite be above that top 7 level.  

I completely agree with everything in this paragraph.  I think Cutler gives the league a giant middle finger this year and goes off.

Some times you all confuse me. Dak is much more Brady than Smith or Wilson. Those two are both much more athletic. Dak relies on his arm, like Brady. All of them are pretty conservative, and obviously Brady has accolades that the rest will never achieve, but you get my point.

This offense seems to be broken.  The statistic the broadcast showed about the Giants not scoring over 20 points in their last seven games was really telling.  OBJ is obviously a star, but their are some other good skill players there to make plays.  It's on McAdoo to mix up the playbook and make it happen.

The defense played well all things considered.  Elliot got over 100 yards, but they made him work for it.  We may finally have a good linebacker in BJ Goodson. That should bode well for us moving forward.  

Also, Dak couldn't hit the side of a barn yesterday.  His accuracy is all over the place.  Reminds me a lot of McNabb is that sense

2 hours ago, Gmen said:

This offense seems to be broken.  The statistic the broadcast showed about the Giants not scoring over 20 points in their last seven games was really telling.  OBJ is obviously a star, but their are some other good skill players there to make plays.  It's on McAdoo to mix up the playbook and make it happen.

The defense played well all things considered.  Elliot got over 100 yards, but they made him work for it.  We may finally have a good linebacker in BJ Goodson. That should bode well for us moving forward.  

Also, Dak couldn't hit the side of a barn yesterday.  His accuracy is all over the place.  Reminds me a lot of McNabb is that sense

Odell hasn't practiced in weeks and it seems like McAdoo didn't construct a gameplan that didn't include Odell. It just seems like McAdoo just ran the offense basically the same as if Odell was there when everything we do is built off Odell. We have a 6'5" receiver and we didn't take advantage of that. This is one of the blatant coaching gaffs and I normally stay off criticising or praising coaches

Archived