The NFL isn’t rigged but some Refs are corrupt

rocky_rams

5 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

A referee from another sports league from over a decade ago. It’s not the same thing. A cop from the LAPD isn’t the same as a cop from the NYPD. A McDonalds restaurant owner from 2007 doesn’t run things the same way a Burger King owner runs things in 2019. One bad politician in Congress from a decade ago doesn’t mean the current Supreme Court Justices are corrupt too. 

It’s a bad precedent. Occam’s razor says they’re just inept.

Maybe their family’s are kidnapped by the mob and they’re being forced to make these bad calls? Can’t say for sure, so it’s possible.

There was verified corruption in both 

It wouldn't surprise me if it came out that a few refs were a bit corrupt.  But I highly doubt it would be anywhere near the level to explain all the bad officiating.

Primary reason for bad officiating is bad officiating.  After that, it's probably a subconscious bias or being swayed by coaches/players.  Then way at the bottom somewhere, there might be a ref or two blowing a few calls for money.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

It wouldn't surprise me if it came out that a few refs were a bit corrupt.  But I highly doubt it would be anywhere near the level to explain all the bad officiating.

Primary reason for bad officiating is bad officiating.  After that, it's probably a subconscious bias or being swayed by coaches/players.  Then way at the bottom somewhere, there might be a ref or two blowing a few calls for money.

I completely agree. I wouldn’t say all the bad calls are because of corruption. 

There have been some calls that have been downright inexplicable which will allow questions to arise about some refs 

4 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

This thread to me is the equivalent of “cops are corrupt because they kill unarmed black people”.  No evidence supports it, and while im sure there are a few that abuse the power given to them, the vast majority are normal and don’t go about their job like that

Edited by footbull3196
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

It could be happening in the NFL. Look up Mayer vs. Belichick (Mayer was a Jet fan who sued the Pats after Spygate). Fans who enter the ballpark aren't entitled to a legit game. Look at today's Cle-NE game (Chubb's first fumble and that INT by Guy look staged to me).

You think a 300+ pound man going *** over applecart would be able to kick with the precision necessary to strike the ball perfectly out of a passing RB's arm in a driving rainstorm? And then to have an oblong football, in that same driving rain storm, bounce perfectly so that a Patriots defender could scoop and score? Ok man.

14 minutes ago, cp0k2 said:

You think a 300+ pound man going *** over applecart would be able to kick with the precision necessary to strike the ball perfectly out of a passing RB's arm in a driving rainstorm? And then to have an oblong football, in that same driving rain storm, bounce perfectly so that a Patriots defender could scoop and score? Ok man.

When NE is involved, anything is possible.

I'm going to disagree with the original post.

If there were some corrupt refs working for the mob, then all games with a certain officiating crew would be consistently fixing games.  Other than Ed Hochuli's crew, I don't think there is a pattern for bad calls coming from certain refs.  In their case, I think they were just bad refs. 

Simply screwing the Lions out of a well deserved victory is not going to help the gamblers because a narrow Lions loss is not going to cover the spread.  For corrupt refs, they would be making sure that teams predicted to lose would lose by enough to cover the spread.  But nobody cares if the Browns lose by 10 points because of a bad call when they should have only lost by 7.  We only pay attention when the calls affect the outcome of the game. 

If it were a case of incompetent refs, then all teams would be getting screwed evenly.

But since it's usually the same half dozen teams that get the calls, it's got to be the NFL fixing the games.  Why else would they be inserting more and more "subjective" penalties into the rule book?  Obviously to make it easier for the refs to grease the skids for their preferred teams.  (Cowboys, Packers, Patriots, or Steelers angry rebuttal in 5....  4..... 3..... 2....)

• 1 month later...

We are currently watching WWE. When the Saints complained about the blown NFC championship call that resulted in them not going to the Super Bowl, it led to some interesting officiating changes this season. The biggest being the creation of the challenged pass interference rule change that was designed to frustrate and confuse fans, and give another avenue for the referees to selectively dictate the results of game. The enforcement of the rule has been nothing short of embarrassing, with incredibly poor inter-and-intrarater reliability to the point that it questions the integrity of the NFL. It's very clear that the rule change angered Ron Riveron and many referees, so is it not reasonable to assume that there is at least some anger directed toward the Saints organization for questioning their competence and prompting the rule change?  

But it didn't stop there. The Saints, despite their success, has been SIGNIFICANTLY more penalized than their opponents. The truth is that a penalty can be called on literally every play in the NFL if the refs decided to enforce the game in that way. The problem isn't necessarily that the Saints have been penalized, it's that their opponents haven't been penalized. Look at the game this week against the Falcons. The Saints defense had NINE sacks on Matt Ryan. How many holding calls against the Falcons? None. How is it possible in a game when the defense line is completely annihilating the opposing offensive line that not a SINGLE holding penalty is called? It's because of rule enforcement. The grey era of rule enforcement is being filled with bias.

http://girodstreetendzone.com/the-saints-are-absolutely-getting-hosed/

Now, here are the ones on the defense that can make or break your defense, and you’re largely in the hands of the referees’ mood that day. Bear in mind, each of these is also an automatic first down, again through 12 games:

Defensive pass interference

Called on the Saints League average Called on the opponents
9 for 122 yards (2nd) 6.6 2 for 11 yards (30th)

Defensive holding

9 for 45 yards (2nd) 5.8 1 for 5 yards (T-31st)

Illegal use of hands

8 for 39 yards (1st) 2.4 0 for **** all (T-31st)

43 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

We are currently watching WWE. When the Saints complained about the blown NFC championship call that resulted in them not going to the Super Bowl, it led to some interesting officiating changes this season. The biggest being the creation of the challenged pass interference rule change that was designed to frustrate and confuse fans, and give another avenue for the referees to selectively dictate the results of game. The enforcement of the rule has been nothing short of embarrassing, with incredibly poor inter-and-intrarater reliability to the point that it questions the integrity of the NFL. It's very clear that the rule change angered Ron Riveron and many referees, so is it not reasonable to assume that there is at least some anger directed toward the Saints organization for questioning their competence and prompting the rule change?  

But it didn't stop there. The Saints, despite their success, has been SIGNIFICANTLY more penalized than their opponents. The truth is that a penalty can be called on literally every play in the NFL if the refs decided to enforce the game in that way. The problem isn't necessarily that the Saints have been penalized, it's that their opponents haven't been penalized. Look at the game this week against the Falcons. The Saints defense had NINE sacks on Matt Ryan. How many holding calls against the Falcons? None. How is it possible in a game when the defense line is completely annihilating the opposing offensive line that not a SINGLE holding penalty is called? It's because of rule enforcement. The grey era of rule enforcement is being filled with bias.

http://girodstreetendzone.com/the-saints-are-absolutely-getting-hosed/

Now, here are the ones on the defense that can make or break your defense, and you’re largely in the hands of the referees’ mood that day. Bear in mind, each of these is also an automatic first down, again through 12 games:

Defensive pass interference

9 for 122 yards (2nd) 6.6 2 for 11 yards (30th)

Defensive holding

9 for 45 yards (2nd) 5.8 1 for 5 yards (T-31st)

Illegal use of hands

8 for 39 yards (1st) 2.4 0 for **** all (T-31st)

what a contribution to this thread, I never knew it was THAT bad.  I doubt I will read about  this in depth as you did ,  but by chance, are the games officiated with "home field referee advantage" ?

Fantasy football might have caused a change in the rules making the game more scoring, but could that also cause the officiating to be influenced as well?

Now that I see this, it appears every team's fan can have a word about the refs. Maybe it's time to have an official (pun intended) corrupt refereeing thread every week. Fans can bring up the plays they really disagree with and have at it. Maybe at the end of the year we can talley all the various penalties and see if there is a pattern etc.

The false start by Duck Hodges is one that I just can't figure out, nobody could actually, even Fouts thought it was a bad call.  DPI is controversial, but other penalties  are easier to pick a side on. 

What about the rules being the problem? Perhaps they are in need of simplifying them so we don't have to listen to a ref from NY every series describing in a few paragraphs what the rule is, and on many occasions disagreeing with the refs. How can the league let that go on, it's a mockery in a way, yet continues. 

Edited by 3rivers

36 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

So there's no way the Saints are just being more penalized for being undisciplined? Looking at the numbers, the only games that the net penalty yards between the Saints were greater than 50 were in the last 2 games. The first 10 games of the year there was no noticeable difference. If there was a conspiracy against the Saints due to the NRC backlash, why wouldn't it happen early in the season? The first 10 games of the year the Saints averaged just 13 more penalty yards per game than their opponent. The last 2 games spiked that number to 28.

The bolded doesn't make sense to me. If you are holding then the defense wouldn't be sacking Ryan. The reason the Saints probably had 9 sacks is bad line play and the fact that the Falcons DIDN'T hold. It would be like to say Jared Goff had 425 passing yards against Arizona but Arizona didn't have any pass interference calls. How could the Arizona defense be that bad and not commit penalties? It's usually an either or. Or at the very least I don't think there is any sort of correlation between holding penalties committed and sacks given up.