So the 9ers are Legit?

Chiefer

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

The Bears and Jaguars were legit average AT BEST offensively those two years. The Niners are actually around top 10. Not sure how that comparison can even be made. 

I can see the Bears comparison. Sure, last year the Bears offense faltered down the stretch - but the Niners haven't hit that point yet and the schedule getting so much tougher seems like it could happen.

Obviously the Niners have a better running game, but they also have a slightly worse defense (no knock on the D this year, but that Bears D was nearly all time great).

Hell, just check out this list of QBs the Niners have played so far:

Winston

Dalton

Rudolph

Mayfield

Goff

Keenum

Allen

That's....borderline ridiculous. Upcoming is Rodgers, Wilson, Wilson, Brees, Matt Ryan and Lamar Jackson, to go along with Goff and Murray twice.

Again, not taking anything away from the Niners - I think they clinched the NFC West last weekend. But I think a comp to the Bears is accurate given how their schedule plays out, with it being so much tougher in the back half.

6 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

I can see the Bears comparison. Sure, last year the Bears offense faltered down the stretch - but the Niners haven't hit that point yet and the schedule getting so much tougher seems like it could happen.

Obviously the Niners have a better running game, but they also have a slightly worse defense (no knock on the D this year, but that Bears D was nearly all time great).

Winston

Dalton

Rudolph

Mayfield

Goff

Keenum

Allen

That's....borderline ridiculous. Upcoming is Rodgers, Wilson, Wilson, Brees, Matt Ryan and Lamar Jackson, to go along with Goff and Murray twice.

Again, not taking anything away from the Niners - I think they clinched the NFC West last weekend. But I think a comp to the Bears is accurate given how their schedule plays out, with it being so much tougher in the back half.

We're talking strictly offenses here. Sorry, but the Niners offense is not on the level of the Jaguars/Bears the last few years. It is clearly superior. By season's end, SF will be top 10 in PPG, YPG, TOP, yards per play etc. 

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

The Bears and Jaguars were legit average AT BEST offensively those two years. The Niners are actually around top 10. Not sure how that comparison can even be made. 

The Jaguars offense was a lot better than the Bears 2018

4 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

Winston

Dalton

Rudolph

Mayfield

Goff

Keenum

Allen

Now look at the quarterbacks the 2000 Ravens defense played all year. :)

49ers have stomped inferior competition. That's what good defenses do. Good indicator for when they do play the top dogs.

Edited by PapaShogun

5 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

The thing is, I think the narrative is that it's a great defense carrying a bad / mediocre offense and quarterback. The team has two real flaws - red zone td percentage and turnovers (jimmy g ints), but everything else is at least average if not better. 

• Offensive points per drive - 13th
  • Yards per drive - 13th
  • 3rd down conversion rate - 8th
  • Time of possession per drive - 6th
  • Offensive points per game I believe is 2nd, with total points per game 3rd. 
  • yards per game 6th. 
  • 3 and out rate - 2nd. 
  • Offensive dvoa - 10th 
  • 1st in net yards per drive, 2nd in net points per drive
  • 13th in offensive points per drive
  • 2nd in time of possession. 
  • 11th in rushing yards per attempt (without their starting two tackles)
  • 8th in passing yards per attempt
  • And I believe that they are the least penalized team in the NFL (obviously good both offensively and defensively)

Don't get me wrong. They aren't the Chiefs or anything. But the narrative that they are a great defensive team carrying a bad offense or something is not the right one, either, I think. The bears did have some great rate stats on a per drive basis last year,  but at the same time had a fairly bad offense with regards to some efficiency (30th in passing yards per attempt, 26th in rushing yards per attempt, almost two yards lower in the former and over 1 yard less in the latter) and 20th in dvoa

13 minutes ago, Forge said:

But everything else offensively is at least average, and often better. 

49ers look legit in all 3 phases, congrats

Packers and 49ers had some epic battles in the 90's, with GB swiping Holmgren and using him against his former mentors
Sort of a similar scenario now -  with Shanahan protege, Matt La Fleur calling the shots in GB   (and both teams winning )

Just now, Shanedorf said:

49ers look legit in all 3 phases, congrats

Packers and 49ers had some epic battles in the 90's, with GB swiping Holmgren and using him against his former mentors
Sort of a similar scenario now -  with Shanahan protege, Matt La Fleur calling the shots in GB   (and both teams winning )

We need receivers badly. And I need the passing offense to be more explosive, but I think all of the NFC contenders have some flaws. 

I really like the fact that we play you guys and New Orleans this year. Going to give us a very real look at where everyone stands in the grand scheme of things heading into the playoffs, and I think those three teams along with the Vikings are the top in the conference right now, so really glad there's going to be some matchups there. 

8 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

49ers have stomped inferior competition. That's what good defenses do. Good indicator for when they do play the top dogs.

This sounds familiar...lol.

You've done what elite defenses do. Kill the inferiors. :D

14 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Those QBs he named dropped are better than half the QBs the 2000 ravens faced. Like go back and look at those rosters 

Edited by CP3MVP

23 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

Those QBs he named dropped are better than half the QBs the 2000 ravens faced. Like go back and look at those rosters 

Yes, the Ravens that year didn't play one megastar QB except Rich Gannon in the AFC title game. Other than that I'd say Mark Brunell as a distant 2nd. The AFC sucked that year hard for passers. I think it was Gannon, Manning, Brian Griese for 10 games and that was it. 

No one ever talks about the Ravens defense that year being overrated though. 

Edited by PapaShogun
  • Like 1