How surprised are you?

Manny/Patrick

I think the thing I'm most surprised about is the record. I expected the offense to be this good. Granted, I thought it was going to be more because of the passing game than the running game, though. I expected this from the pass rushers on defense, and with that, I figured the pass coverage would improve. I never would've guessed the defense would be as good as it is right now. 

At the beginning of the season, I predicted we would go undefeated into week 6 against the Rams, but would lose that game and ultimately end up with a 9-7 or 10-6 record.

On a scale of 1-10, 10 being most surprised? There is no way I would have predicted being 7-0. So, I have to say a 10. I thought we could compete, I had no idea our 9ers could DOMINATE. I just hope we can keep it up and finally grab that elusive #6 Lombardi. I was so frustrated with Harbaugh and Kaep in that SB loss....still galls me that they besmirched a perfect record in the SB. 

After the Cardinals game, I projected us to be 6-2 at the halfway point with those losses coming against the Steelers and Rams. Due to the Big Ben injury, the Steelers game is less surprising. 

I predicted this was an 11-5 team last year, as I'm a big believer in Jimmy Garoppolo and Kyle Shanahan. I think after watching last season, I feel confident that having Jimmy the entire season would have been worth 9 or 10 wins.

This offseason, I thought we needed to add two superstars to the defense and one to the offense. I was thrilled with the Dee Ford trade, Nick Bosa was my #1 wish, and I liked the Kwon Alexander pickup better than most. 

Yet somehow, I stayed conservative with what appeared to be a brutal schedule, and said 11-5 on the year. I went with this despite making regular comparisons to the 2011 team that finished 13-3.

So how surprised am I? Hard to say. I didn't expect the dominance we've seen. I expected more one-score victories. Instead, we've only had one of those. But I thought we were a playoff team capable of winning in the playoffs, though short of being able to make it to championship games. Now I think the team is capable of winning it all. 

Not sure where that puts me on (what I assume is) a 1-10 scale. Probably a 4 or 5? 

I was way more surprised by the 2011 team. Let's put it that way. 

I also predicted 10-11 games using similar logic to @y2lamanaki. But I was more of a believer of our secondary talent than most. I knew that due to having a non-existing pass rush, it really affected our scheme in general and we had a bunch of blown coverages that hurt more than anything. And of course trying to run as much single high safety without a true single high safety is tough to do. 

What I love about this 7-0 start is that we have had to compensate for losing three key pieces to the OL, including our bookend tackles and are still DOMINATING. Like we have won the last three games 80-20 without McGlinchey/Staley/Juice Check. That's just unreal right there.

I expected this defense to be really good, but didn't expect them to be potentially historically great. 

All in all, I'd say I am about a 5-6 in how surprised I am in this start. 

Went in very optimistic, but I'd not have guessed we'd be this good. 

I was thinking about something yesterday. Yes, I'd love to see us win the SB, yadda yadda, what fan wouldn't. 

What I consider a worthwhile season goes different than "did we win it all, or didn't we?" 

To me, winning it all is what we down south call lagniappe. Think of it as a delicious chocolate cake, and then someone runs in and throws 1,000 dollars on top of it. I mean, we can all enjoy a thousand more bucks, right? but really... the delicious cake is pretty good too. 

Okay, I'm an idiot. All I'm saying is, the football season is roughly 4 months long. I like delicious cake. The more pieces of cake, the better those 4 months ticks along. If later, someone throws a thousand bucks on top of my next piece? hey, great. 

Even if not, all this cake makes life more betterz. 

tl;dr:

Even if we don't win the SB, it feels really good to know and enjoy that the 49ers are 1 of the top teams in the NFL. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

Went in very optimistic, but I'd not have guessed we'd be this good. 

I was thinking about something yesterday. Yes, I'd love to see us win the SB, yadda yadda, what fan wouldn't. 

What I consider a worthwhile season goes different than "did we win it all, or didn't we?" 

To me, winning it all is what we down south call lagniappe. Think of it as a delicious chocolate cake, and then someone runs in and throws 1,000 dollars on top of it. I mean, we can all enjoy a thousand more bucks, right? but really... the delicious cake is pretty good too. 

Okay, I'm an idiot. All I'm saying is, the football season is roughly 4 months long. I like delicious cake. The more pieces of cake, the better those 4 months ticks along. If later, someone throws a thousand bucks on top of my next piece? hey, great. 

Even if not, all this cake makes life more betterz. 

tl;dr:

Even if we don't win the SB, it feels really good to know and enjoy that the 49ers are 1 of the top teams in the NFL. 

This is my feeling as well, we may not win this year, but at least the team has the foundation now, and we will be SB favorites for the next decade

Pretty much in line with the rest of the posters here, I am surprised we are 7-0 but I haven't been that surprised by any of the wins (if that makes sense). Looking at the schedule at the beginning of the year I knew there was a regression coming for the Rams so I felt those could be W's, and I never bought into the Cleveland hype. The injuries to Bosa/Dee Ford/ Coleman at the end of camp made me think it'd be a slow start. The O-line questions were legitimate too, but all have turned out to be non issues. So I'm extremely surprised that these concerns were for nothing. 

side note - anyone else hate Ryan Clark? dude was calling the niners pretenders week after week. 

1 minute ago, nayad said:

side note - anyone else hate Ryan Clark? dude was calling the niners pretenders week after week. 

I didn't even hear this, but nah. I could not care less if this guy or that guy says such things.

To care would suggest that I value the opinion one way or the other... and I just simply don't. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, nayad said:

Pretty much in line with the rest of the posters here, I am surprised we are 7-0 but I haven't been that surprised by any of the wins (if that makes sense). Looking at the schedule at the beginning of the year I knew there was a regression coming for the Rams so I felt those could be W's, and I never bought into the Cleveland hype. The injuries to Bosa/Dee Ford/ Coleman at the end of camp made me think it'd be a slow start. The O-line questions were legitimate too, but all have turned out to be non issues. So I'm extremely surprised that these concerns were for nothing. 

He's on ESPN, right? I'm wondering how much of it is his personal opinion, and how much of it is ESPN wanting someone to make outlandish takes for the sake of argument. Remember, ESPN really isn't sports news anymore, it's purely entertainment.

6 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

He's on ESPN, right? I'm wondering how much of it is his personal opinion, and how much of it is ESPN wanting someone to make outlandish takes for the sake of argument. Remember, ESPN really isn't sports news anymore, it's purely entertainment.

It's him. He basically thinks Jimmy G is a scrub and thinks we'd be just as good if not better with Mason Rudolph as quarterback. 

He thinks the team outside of Jimmy is legitimate.

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

It's him. He basically thinks Jimmy G is a scrub and thinks we'd be just as good if not better with Mason Rudolph as quarterback. 

He thinks the team outside of Jimmy is legitimate.

Well duh, but he was talking trash about the entire team for a stretch, he had the niners ranked in the bottom half of the league up until we smoked the rams. I think its been pretty clear from the word go that this team is special. But yeah I agree with @NinerNation21 its seems like its just for entertainment and reaction, just like any other modern media company. 

Just now, nayad said:

Well duh, but he was talking trash about the entire team for a stretch, he had the niners ranked in the bottom half of the league up until we smoked the rams. I think its been pretty clear from the word go that this team is special. But yeah I agree with @NinerNation21 its seems like its just for entertainment and reaction, just like any other modern media company. 

I won't fault him for that. We are a team that was coming off one of the worst records in the league last year and weren't much better the year before and the best team that we had played up until the Rams was probably the Bucs in week one.