Week #9 Game Day Thread Steelers vs. Colts

Steeler Hitman

3 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

Saw that this morning.  With Connor up in the air and Samuels still recovering, they may have to make a move. I don't have a problem giving Edmunds a shot, but not sure I would be comfortable with him starting or having to play all four quarters.  As someone else posted in another thread/section, this is where a player like CJ Anderson could help.

why not sign Anderson and put trey edmunds back to the PS, or can't that be done? Maybe cut swather and let Johnson do the returns?

1 hour ago, 3rivers said:

why not sign Anderson and put trey edmunds back to the PS, or can't that be done? Maybe cut swather and let Johnson do the returns?

Why? I feel like that's a move that doesn't move the needle enough to be worth making a move. Seems like a waste of money, especially since Samuels is healthy and has proven to be dynamic. Plus, Conner isn't out for the season and Snell is only out 3 weeks. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Why? I feel like that's a move that doesn't move the needle enough to be worth making a move. Seems like a waste of money, especially since Samuels is healthy and has proven to be dynamic. Plus, Conner isn't out for the season and Snell is only out 3 weeks. 

Wait to see how Connor and Snell heal, iff they are good to play then no need to sign anyone. I am still laughing about bell saying the steeler wanted to trade for him. He also said the packers! That was more hilarious, what will he say next?

21 hours ago, 3rivers said:

21 hours ago, August4th said:

kinda hope they pick up Gordon on the waiver wire and cut Donte, so they can get that 3rd round pick

He was just hurt. I thought they put him on IR and released him with an injury settlement. Despite the tremendous talent of Gordon, I don't want the potential drama and potential issues of  past. I feel like the Steelers need to let the locker room settle and get back to "flying under the radar" so to speak. I would rather let the young guys settle in.

20 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I wouldn't hate it. I do think Moncrief can turn it around, but I don't think I'd risk the 3rd rounder. I'm not sure he's much better than Gordon now, though. 

I am not sure how all of this free agent formula stuff works. I think Moncrief has upside, however, we need a #3 with the other draft pick losses next year. No on Josh Gordon in my humble opinion. Johnson seems to be developing and let's see if Washington can get better.  Some of it is the QB needing to throw with more confidence and better timing.

I have always been a fan of having established vets as quality reserves.  We were much more consistent with back-up QB's like Charlie and Byron and a back-up RB like De'Angelo.  You want your young guys to develop, but you want to remain competitive.  I think Anderson's straight-line, smash-mouth style suits this offense. Connor is a physical runner, but his style is slightly different from Anderson's.  I do like Samuels and Connor together, but somewhat concerned with Connor who takes a beating with his running style.

15 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I have always been a fan of having established vets as quality reserves.  We were much more consistent with back-up QB's like Charlie and Byron and a back-up RB like De'Angelo.  You want your young guys to develop, but you want to remain competitive.  I think Anderson's straight-line, smash-mouth style suits this offense. Connor is a physical runner, but his style is slightly different from Anderson's.  I do like Samuels and Connor together, but somewhat concerned with Connor who takes a beating with his running style.

I just feel like dropping Edmunds to sign Anderson for the 3 weeks Snell is out is completely unnecessary. How much more does Anderson offer rather than Snell? Not much, IMO. Where do we put Anderson when Snell is back? Do we cut him? Do we cut Snell? Do we cut Connor or Samuels? Do we carry 4 rbs and risk losing someone like Gilbert or Ola. I think it's smarter to just roll with Samuels and Edmunds this week instead of all that rigmarole. Plus, Conner isn't even ruled out for the game against Indy. The fans on this board are completely obsessed with making moves. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I just feel like dropping Edmunds to sign Anderson for the 3 weeks Snell is out is completely unnecessary. How much more does Anderson offer rather than Snell? Not much, IMO. Where do we put Anderson when Snell is back? Do we cut him? Do we cut Snell? Do we cut Connor or Samuels? Do we carry 4 rbs and risk losing someone like Gilbert or Ola. I think it's smarter to just roll with Samuels and Edmunds this week instead of all that rigmarole. Plus, Conner isn't even ruled out for the game against Indy. The fans on this board are completely obsessed with making moves. 

MOSteelers56, I respect your opinion, but I have a different viewpoint.  I am not a huge fan of Snell.  I will admit that he has played well and exceeded what expectations that I had for him as a rookie. I honestly didn't think that he out-played Edmunds in per-season. If everyone is healthy, you are correct, it is unnecessary.  Based on Anderson's track record and even what he did last year with the Rams, that is a no brainer to me. Anderson is more proven than Snell and offers more right now than Snell. Yes, I believe that.

You could cut Anderson or place Snell on IR to protect him.  I would not want to put our running game in Snell's hands and feet yet. He is an unproven rookie.  Our back-up QB needs help from the rushing attack. Not going to answer the cut Connor or Samuel question because you know the answer to that. I was not remotely even suggesting that. Not going to try to risk Grant or Ola especially after the Skipper debacle. Like most fans, I think he deserved to make the team or be on the PS.

Maybe some fans are obsessed with making roster moves, but I am not. As stated, I prefer veteran established players at key positions rather than unproven rookies. I would have tried to sign a veteran like Blake Bortles as a back-up QB.  Mason needs to develop and they need to see what he can do, but I know what I would be getting with a QB like Bortles. I didn't want the Steelers to cut Landry last year. We all have different ideas on how to improve this team. Sometimes the young players work and other times it is the veterans. 

maybe Anderson will still be UFA in a few weeks after Snell tried to play again. If Snell is healthy, then I doubt they consider outside RB's but what if Snell doesn't get that healthy ?  For now, I would say anderson could be a possibility for later on if injuried at RB get more serious.

Hilton isn't playing for the colts, this is a major break in our favour. 

This should be a close lower scoring game. I want the win, but never know what to expect anymore.  I think Watt has a great game .