GDT 11/3/19 Week 9: 5-2 Baltimore Ravens vs 8-0 New England Patriots

DreamKid

5 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Oh not a chance. He was in on this team, with Flacco but he just HATED the idea of Lamar so much that he wanted it to fall apart quickly. He wants Lamar to fail more than he wants the Ravens to win. Sad.

Yea. Dude was definitely a fan. Funny enough, what really started him down the negative path was us missing out on DJ Moore. He wanted Moore so bad and started spiraling when our trade downs prevented that. The addition of and transition to Jackson was his Act 2, that unfortunately became an obsession

I feel bad in some ways. He was obnoxious and frankly I put him on the ignore/block list, so I can't even see his posts. But to see someone rob themselves of a fun or joyous experience isn't something I root for- at least not among Raven fans. He probably is cheering on the team/Jackson now, but doesn't want to deal with the backlash of coming back into the forum.

The Steelers actually played Jackson fairly well. They had outside contain with Watt and Dupree and that kind of neutralized him. We just have such a piss poor offense we really aren't a threat in the division this year. I have only seen a couple of your games would you guys say he is better than Vick? The NFL figured out how to contain Vick. I just liked the way you implemented the two TE's in the backfield or three TE sets. I think the trend with these smaller defenses and nickel and dime formations are going to force offenses to go with a power run game with big lead blockers. I have been wanting the Steelers to go this route for a couple of years. The key is you almost have to transition between a spread offense or a power offense on the fly so the defense can't substitute and you guys have the added element of having an extra blocker with one of your rb's or te's in to block for a running QB. If you guys get a really good receiving rb you will be really difficult to defend. Your only issue is the injury risk to Jackson because he runs so much. Believe me one major talent like that going down can change the whole offense when we lost Antonio our offense died.

1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

I think this is doing our offense a big injustice. We just decimated their defense and that’s not something that should be taken lightly. Until another team does it, I think our offense deserves all the credit.

We decimated their defense while only running the ball, pretty much. 162 yards passing is still a huge red flag when the entire team is healthy and we're coming out of a bye week. Don't get me wrong, if we're just gonna run our way to victory I'm all for it, but eventually some team is going to slow that run game down and we're going to need to beat a team through the air, OR we're going to play from behind and have to throw it and I just don't see it with this offense - it's not even a Lamar thing! It's not "I don't think Lamar can do it", it's a "I don't think we have the plays/skill position guys to do it".

This reminds me of the “Dolphins are the worst team of all time so Lamar’s 5 TDs don’t count” argument. Until another QB toasts their defense to such a degree I’m not taking anything away from our offense.

Our rushing offense might be quite honestly the best of all time right now, tbh.

No other opposing offense scored more than 14 points against this Patriots defense. That defense caused a lot of turnovers from other offenses as well. So until another team similarly drops 30 on this defense... I think their defense should be looked at still as for real and conversely our offense should be viewed as even more “for real”. This is the narrative that Lamar needed to put him #1 in MVP balloting. He just had 3 total TDs and 0 turnovers against a defense that was on a historic pace. Until another team/QB does it, he should remain elevated.

I love Lamar, but what Russell Wilson is doing is just on another level right now.

57 minutes ago, Duff said:

The question will be can you guys repeat this performance against Belicheck he usually figures it out the second time around. My fear for you guys is will he set the blue print on how to defend Jackson for the rest of the NFL?

Defenses will probably adjust, but so far it seems Lamar is improving and adding to his game as well. He reads the field well. If he keeps improving his throwing, defenses will have to come up with another blue print.  

Is this type of offense sustainable over the long haul with the injury risk to such a talent as Jackson?

Who knows?

Along the lines of the injury risk to Jackson what happens to your offense if he does go down?

RGIII gets a chance at redemption. 

19 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Well played, guys. Thoroughly deserved, well prepared, we had no answers.

I wouldn't worry about this loss on any grand scale. I think it's more indicative of us being a favorable match up against the Pats, then some systemic failure you're going to constantly fall victim to.

Good luck going forward. I'm sure we'll see you guys again.

Edited by DreamKid
  • Like 1

^^^You can tell a large % of the Pats' fan base believed in/expected this 2019 squad to go 16-0. I'm sure it sucks for them right now, but contenders need adversity to continue to grow. It's better for them to hit this wall now then it would be later in the regular season or obviously in the playoffs. 

I'm happy we have potential losses on the horizon too. This is a young team that needs to keep elevating. They need to be challenged and have that peak form dragged out.

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

^^^You can tell a large % of the Pats' fan base believed in/expected this 2019 squad to go 16-0. I'm sure it sucks for them right now, but contenders need adversity to continue to grow. It's better for them to hit this wall now then it would be later in the regular season or obviously in the playoffs. 

I'm happy we have potential losses on the horizon too. This is a young team that needs to keep elevating. They need to be challenged and have that peak form dragged out.

Bandwagoners, mostly. None of us sane fans expected to go 16-0 with Newhouse as a LT.