GDT 11/3/19 Week 9: 5-2 Baltimore Ravens vs 8-0 New England Patriots

DreamKid

Just now, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Another game we are not even close to being in without Lamar Jackson. Truly a special player and just so much fun to watch. Not much else to say, dude is a unique talent.

Our defense was trash for most of the game past the first quarter but made key turnovers and held the Patriots to FG's when we needed - bend but don't break. Somehow it worked.

Offensively it was just the Lamar show. Not much passing to speak of besides just short passes all day long supplemented with Lamar running.

We exposed the Patriots tonight. It was the first game with all of the DBs finally playing together. It was against the hurry up. A lot of variables there. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. 

Now we need the Bills to get knocked off and for the Patriots to lose a few more games. If we can get to 12-4/13-3 we would have a shot at HFA throughout the playoffs.

Luckily our defense has looked a lot better with all these corners that we can deploy. Against a team not running so much no look, our like our chances to matchup against most passing offenses and situations.

Marcus Peters reminds me of Samari Rolle so much. Similar build, similar coverage strengths and deficiencies.

Just now, diamondbull424 said:

“Ravens take advantage of Patriots turnovers and miscues to hand New England it’s first loss of the season.”

I hate this headline. It makes it seem like the Patriots loss this game vs the fact that we dominated and won it.

NFL has to spin that narrative. Patriots never catch heat unless they lose 2 in a row. Lamar will still be a RB and they'll still be calling them a potential legendary D this week. 

• Like 1

Oh man this tweet is good lol

5 minutes ago, baltimoreRebel said:

We exposed the Patriots tonight. It was the first game with all of the DBs finally playing together. It was against the hurry up. A lot of variables there. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. 

What did we expose though? That they're a dink-and-dunk offense? Everyone knew that. That they aren't great against the run and have basically played with a lead against bad QB's all year? Yeah most everyone knew that, too.

I think the one thing we did show was that their defense is not historically good and has largely been abusing BAD offenses and BAD Quarterbacks, though. So in that regard I guess we can say we exposed their defense.

15 minutes ago, baltimoreRebel said:

Not to mention we handed them the ball twice at 20 or in on fumbles 

12 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I think the one thing we did show was that their defense is not historically good and has largely been abusing BAD offenses and BAD Quarterbacks, though. So in that regard I guess we can say we exposed their defense.

I think this is doing our offense a big injustice. We just decimated their defense and that’s not something that should be taken lightly. Until another team does it, I think our offense deserves all the credit.

This reminds me of the “Dolphins are the worst team of all time so Lamar’s 5 TDs don’t count” argument. Until another QB toasts their defense to such a degree I’m not taking anything away from our offense.

No other opposing offense scored more than 14 points against this Patriots defense. That defense caused a lot of turnovers from other offenses as well. So until another team similarly drops 30 on this defense... I think their defense should be looked at still as for real and conversely our offense should be viewed as even more “for real”. This is the narrative that Lamar needed to put him #1 in MVP balloting. He just had 3 total TDs and 0 turnovers against a defense that was on a historic pace. Until another team/QB does it, he should remain elevated.

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 1

Guys being a Steeler fan I highly dislike both the Ravens and the Patriots but I have mad respect for the Ravens because we always play each other tough. The level of hatred for the Patriots however is at a different level and I was definitely cheering for the Ravens tonight against the Patriots even though it hurts the Steelers playoff wise. I love your style of offense. I have felt for the past few years with all of these nickel and dime defenses that a power run game is a perfect game plan to combat those kind of defenses. Obviously you have a special talent and when your athlete is better than everyone else's it is hard to game plan against that. The Steelers had that talent with Antonio Brown and unfory=tunately we didn't take advantage of it enough against the Patriots plus he was still reliant on us getting him the ball. With Jackson he has it in his hands on every play and the play calling tonight was absolutely awesome by your coordinator. The question will be can you guys repeat this performance against Belicheck he usually figures it out the second time around. My fear for you guys is will he set the blue print on how to defend Jackson for the rest of the NFL? Is this type of offense sustainable over the long haul with the injury risk to such a talent as Jackson? Along the lines of the injury risk to Jackson what happens to your offense if he does go down?

10 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

He was probably a Browns fan just using another account to (not so) covertly troll.

Oh not a chance. He was in on this team, with Flacco but he just HATED the idea of Lamar so much that he wanted it to fall apart quickly. He wants Lamar to fail more than he wants the Ravens to win. Sad.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Duff said:

The question will be can you guys repeat this performance against Belicheck he usually figures it out the second time around. My fear for you guys is will he set the blue print on how to defend Jackson for the rest of the NFL? 

Nah. 

Lamar's gonna have bad games and we're going to lose games and going into Foxboro is going to be hard if that's what ends up happening (and that's a hell of a season for us if it transpires that way). But we're well past the point now where we need to keep pretending that there's a team out there that is just gonna pull one neat trick and completely negate what Lamar can do on the football field. Whole lot of people thought/hoped tonight was gonna be the night Belichek showed everyone what the 'blueprint' for shutting Lamar down is and well, we saw what happened. 

Edited by BaltimoreTerp

6 minutes ago, Duff said:

Guys being a Steeler fan I highly dislike both the Ravens and the Patriots but I have mad respect for the Ravens because we always play each other tough. The level of hatred for the Patriots however is at a different level and I was definitely cheering for the Ravens tonight against the Patriots even though it hurts the Steelers playoff wise. I love your style of offense. I have felt for the past few years with all of these nickel and dime defenses that a power run game is a perfect game plan to combat those kind of defenses. Obviously you have a special talent and when your athlete is better than everyone else's it is hard to game plan against that. The Steelers had that talent with Antonio Brown and unfory=tunately we didn't take advantage of it enough against the Patriots plus he was still reliant on us getting him the ball. With Jackson he has it in his hands on every play and the play calling tonight was absolutely awesome by your coordinator. The question will be can you guys repeat this performance against Belicheck he usually figures it out the second time around. My fear for you guys is will he set the blue print on how to defend Jackson for the rest of the NFL? Is this type of offense sustainable over the long haul with the injury risk to such a talent as Jackson? Along the lines of the injury risk to Jackson what happens to your offense if he does go down?

it's been 2 seasons now averaging 200 yards a game, no one has even come close to stopping it. belichick is the goat but even he's not a wizard. the strong point of that defense is the secondary, their front 7 is not good enough to stop us. injury to jackson is the only threat really.