GDT 11/3/19 Week 9: 5-2 Baltimore Ravens vs 8-0 New England Patriots

DreamKid

Just now, diamondbull424 said:

Jimmy Smith was an absolute stud in coverage this game. Legit Jimmy might be back, if he is we need to resign him. He’s a great veteran to have along our defense and has been saying all the right things as a leader.

I don't think he wants to play for anyone else. He already took a lesser contract to resign with us once, could see him doing it again. That said, if he misses any more time this year I think the FO might view him as a cost they just can't incur going forward.

We'll see how this whole thing closes out. If we win the SB we could see more than a couple of players leave for retirement. That could end up shaping many of the decisions, just as it did after the 2012 Championship.

Short term, getting him back will do wonders for our defense. Looks like it already has tbh. He was hit or miss last year when he came back from injury. With this team sniffing a Championship bid though, I can see players getting really dialed in. Coaches too. Harbaugh made a point of calling out the Special Teams unit. He knows the Defense is returning to form, and wants Special Teams to keep pace so we're a well oiled machine rolling into the tourney.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I couldn't help but ask myself "Is this supposed to be a good thing?" when reading this tweet:

Smart when it works and idiotic when it doesn't, that's the life of a playcaller. When people ask for 'creative' and 'exotic' playcalling they should understand this is ultimately what it means in practice. Reminds me of how Rex Ryan got by doing some truly nutty stuff, like throwing Adalius Thomas at corner to cover Chad Johnson. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, drd23 said:

I have never understood why people watch these hot take shows

8 hours ago, RavensfanRD said:

Me either. The thought of listening to Skip, Steven A and the rest of that trash, then trying to take their opinion seriously makes me want to throw up. 

The value that I find is that typically these talking heads have their head a bit to the ground more than the biased fan. How these media people see the Ravens is likely to be how the national audience sees them. How they see Lamar is how the national audience sees Lamar. That all said, I’ve never seen a team praised as much for losing a game as I’ve seen this segment cheer on the Pats.

7 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

What the actual h*ck is this garbage?!

EDIT: language

My thoughts exactly. Couldn’t believe this. Especially not from Wiley as he’s typically the analyst on this show that I most agree with.

10 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Wow... I think I just figured it out. Lamar, the RBs, and the TEs just flip the play depending on which side the defense has fewer numbers on. I don’t even think it’s an “audible” so much as a “rule/responsibility”. Similar to how in a ZBS the OL have a rule to block their zone vs the man. Our rushing attack scouts the opposing defensive alignment and automatically runs to the side with the least amount of numbers in the box. From there Lamar simply has to read the end man and suddenly the play can’t be stopped because Lamar’s speed prevents him from being caught backside by the extra defender and we’re too physical with our TEs for them to be overwhelmed when they have the numbers advantage.

I’m interested in seeing if this is why the Browns, Chiefs, and Steelers have been the only teams to have success against our attack. They’ve realized this and therefore instructed their defense to overload one side of the line with numbers, while aggressively attacking the undermanned side with a crashing corner/end-man to slow Lamar just enough for the backside overload that’s crashing down the line to become relevant. If so, there’s got to be some sort of counter where we sneak a backside TE into the vacated zone that the crashing end-man/corner is leaving exposed. If I wasn’t so busy I would love to rewatch what those other three teams were doing to slow down our rushing attack. Or if it was just that they all have extremely athletic personnel in their front 7.

• Like 1