3 Haunting Things from 49ers

NinerNation21

24 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Substitute Troy Aikman for Favre and its like you read my mind..

That's just as good of a choice. I hate(d) the Cowboys more than the Packers, but it was all the consecutive playoff losses to Favre and then the one random reunion in 2001 that made me go the other way. Especially because I feel some of those latter 9ers teams had better chances to win it all with a seasoned Steve Young. 1995 especially. We had the Cowboys' number in '94-'95. Although, '97 hurt as well. We did beat the Broncos that year.

But both will be on the crap list forever.

1 - Steve Mariucci, could not stand this guy and if we didnt have chip kelly I would argue he has been our poorest coach since our last superbowl title.  He could not handle a team could not lead men.  He would sit on a ball with over a minute left in the first half, he benched TO after the dallas game for no reason.  Could not stand him.

2 - Bradshaw forward progress/fumble.  Already stated we win the game even with the fumbles on punt returns if somehow the ball is not declared dead on contact with a defender.

3 - Colin.  I know that there are people on here that will defend him and he was talented, cannot deny that, but he felt like a metastasizing tumor on the team.  He had no regard for people other than himself, pulling a lot of this from the events between him and Aldon.  People have stated about the talent drop after Harbaugh, there is a chance that Aldon does not spiral out of control and we would not have a negative spot light on the team without colin.  There is a reason he is not in the league and Smith is still under contract.

#1 The fact that our Front Office/Head Coaches thought so little of the need for OLmen. This shortened Steve's career (and possibly Montana's too) as concussions were the only major injuries he really suffered as a player.

#2 Same FO/HC who thought it was a good idea to sign Lawrence Phillips. Piece of trash had no business on our team or in our stadium or in our locker room! He did nothing to keep Aeneas Williams from ending Steve's career.

#3 Kaep and Harbaugh's decisions in the SB. Ugh.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, burlow said:

1 - Steve Mariucci, could not stand this guy and if we didnt have chip kelly I would argue he has been our poorest coach since our last superbowl title.  He could not handle a team could not lead men.  He would sit on a ball with over a minute left in the first half, he benched TO after the dallas game for no reason.  Could not stand him.

2 - Bradshaw forward progress/fumble.  Already stated we win the game even with the fumbles on punt returns if somehow the ball is not declared dead on contact with a defender.

3 - Colin.  I know that there are people on here that will defend him and he was talented, cannot deny that, but he felt like a metastasizing tumor on the team.  He had no regard for people other than himself, pulling a lot of this from the events between him and Aldon.  People have stated about the talent drop after Harbaugh, there is a chance that Aldon does not spiral out of control and we would not have a negative spot light on the team without colin.  There is a reason he is not in the league and Smith is still under contract.

Are you saying Colin Kaepernick was responsible for Aldon's drinking problems, subsequent domestic violence, and other off-the-field issues?

27 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Are you saying Colin Kaepernick was responsible for Aldon's drinking problems, subsequent domestic violence, and other off-the-field issues?

Even you high lighted the "there is a chance" part when you quoted me - I would think that answers the question before you asked it.  Colin is not responsible for Aldon's fragile self control issues, but when you have a team mate poaching significant others from team mate could it start a downward spiral?  What has Colin done for the team that uplifted another team mate?  He will only sign a contract for starter money - he is afraid to sign a contract that he thinks is underneath him which would allow him to show that he deserves the contact he thinks he is worth.  

Some people make others better, some make others poorer.   Did Colin's leadership show anything resembling say Sherman?  Colin's first year or half year I dont have problems with him, I dont believe that he was the better option but that doesnt matter.  Unfortunately some people need help and there is no one here that will argue that Aldon falls to this category.  Do you want Colin stealing his girl, or you want uncle sherm trying to help him get through?

Do you think that it is an accident that Lynch is targeting personality in addition to being football players?  Having teammates that will build each other up is much better than having a QB that will stab his team mates in the back.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, burlow said:

Even you high lighted the "there is a chance" part when you quoted me - I would think that answers the question before you asked it.  Colin is not responsible for Aldon's fragile self control issues, but when you have a team mate poaching significant others from team mate could it start a downward spiral?  What has Colin done for the team that uplifted another team mate?  He will only sign a contract for starter money - he is afraid to sign a contract that he thinks is underneath him which would allow him to show that he deserves the contact he thinks he is worth.  

Some people make others better, some make others poorer.   Did Colin's leadership show anything resembling say Sherman?  Colin's first year or half year I dont have problems with him, I dont believe that he was the better option but that doesnt matter.  Unfortunately some people need help and there is no one here that will argue that Aldon falls to this category.  Do you want Colin stealing his girl, or you want uncle sherm trying to help him get through?

Do you think that it is an accident that Lynch is targeting personality in addition to being football players?  Having teammates that will build each other up is much better than having a QB that will stab his team mates in the back.

If Aldon was on the 2019 team, there's still a good chance he'd still spiral out of control. Aldon's personal downfall shouldn't have Kaep's name attached to it in any fashion. 

Also, Kaep isn't anything like Sherman. Kaep has always been a quiet guy, Sherman is not. So, you can't really say Kaep wasn't leader because he's not as outspoken as Sherman.

• 1990 NFC championship game for sure. That changed everything and what sucks the most is that Bills couldn't win the SB that year. 
  • Young vs Montana 94 - Even though they won it that year...I wanted this game for Steve. I felt really bad for him at the time. However, it worked out but at the time I wasn't too happy. 
  • Harbs- From Kap over Smith to the poor SB, to the overall culture the team became unlikeable on a large scale. Notice how this current team is way more likeable. 

On 11/1/2019 at 9:17 AM, Chrissooner49er said:

#3 Kaep and Harbaugh's decisions in the SB. Ugh.

There will always be a part of me that thinks if harbaugh had put in Smith for that last series, we win. Smith was so very good in the red zone that year, and Kaep was not. 

It also somewhat always shocked me that we didn't have a play designed with Smith and Kaep on the field with the latter being used out of the backfield or split wide. It sounds silly to say, but I feel like the best person on that team to throw a fade to if you wanted to call that play was kaep lol

• Like 2

Here's one we can add to the list: 

Not winning more games in 2016 to be drafting low enough to snag Christian McCaffrey lol 

Our rbs are good, but CMC in Kyle's offense could probably put up like 2500 yards from scrimmage lol 

Imagine having a RB who is a legit receiving threat 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, N4L said:

Here's one we can add to the list: 

Not winning more games in 2016 to be drafting low enough to snag Christian McCaffrey lol 

Our rbs are good, but CMC in Kyle's offense could probably put up like 2500 yards from scrimmage lol 

Imagine having a RB who is a legit receiving threat 

It never would have happened. #3 on our board was Reuben Foster. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Forge said:

There will always be a part of me that thinks if harbaugh had put in Smith for that last series, we win. Smith was so very good in the red zone that year, and Kaep was not. 

It also somewhat always shocked me that we didn't have a play designed with Smith and Kaep on the field with the latter being used out of the backfield or split wide. It sounds silly to say, but I feel like the best person on that team to throw a fade to if you wanted to call that play was kaep lol

I don't know how realistic this scenario is though. I mean do you really take the QB out of the game who has led you back from a deficit and insert a guy who hasn't thrown a meaningful pass in months??

Kap really wasn't the problem with that sequence of plays...well not directly. My biggest issue with those four plays is you didn't put the ball in the hands of Gore at least once from a standard power set. I loathe shotgun inside the 10 yard line. But I understand we rode the pistol the entire playoffs. Honestly I would have run Gore behind Miller on first down. Play-action out that same look on second down if need be. And if it came down to 3rd and 4th down, I would have ran out of the pistol and put the game in Kap's hands to make the right read...in the run game. That 4th down call was horrendous...and not just because it didn't work.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

I don't know how realistic this scenario is though. I mean do you really take the QB out of the game who has led you back from a deficit and insert a guy who hasn't thrown a meaningful pass in months??

Kap really wasn't the problem with that sequence of plays...well not directly. My biggest issue with those four plays is you didn't put the ball in the hands of Gore at least once from a standard power set. I loathe shotgun inside the 10 yard line. But I understand we rode the pistol the entire playoffs. Honestly I would have run Gore behind Miller on first down. Play-action out that same look on second down if need be. And if it came down to 3rd and 4th down, I would have ran out of the pistol and put the game in Kap's hands to make the right read...in the run game. That 4th down call was horrendous...and not just because it didn't work.

Oh, it's not realistic unless you are Gordon Bombay. Still, that was an area where Smith was seriously super good that year. His red zone success rate was something stupid like 80% for the 8 games he played. 

Kaepernick struggled there most of the year. I felt like we never adjusted (all year) in our playcalling in the red zone once Kaep took over. It's just a different skillset. I agree that the play calls were pretty bad. Maybe they change with Smith, maybe they don't. 

• Like 2

These are easy for me.

1. 1990 NFC Title Game: I was 6 and still remember it clearly

2. SB 47: 4 plays from the goalline and you do not give the ball to Frank a single time. Inexcusable play calling.

3. Montana's back and elbow injuries: I loved Steve, but that team wasn't done winning and when Montana went down it opened the door for Bill to get Steve in. As great as Steve was there was a curve that had to happen to get him to the next level.

3 minutes ago, clarkfn2284 said:

These are easy for me.

1. 1990 NFC Title Game: I was 6 and still remember it clearly

2. SB 47: 4 plays from the goalline and you do not give the ball to Frank a single time. Inexcusable play calling.

3. Montana's back and elbow injuries: I loved Steve, but that team wasn't done winning and when Montana went down it opened the door for Bill to get Steve in. As great as Steve was there was a curve that had to happen to get him to the next level.

Yeah that 90 NFC title game....still haunts me. 

If I recall in SB 47...they had a nice completion to V. Davis and it got called back for a penalty right? The whole vibe of that game odd and they were totally undisciplined. 

I love Young but I wouldn't of loved some more time with Joe. Steve was one accurate QB though.