Possible Coaching Candidates Now That Freddie Is Fired

cortes02

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

At what point do we accept that pretty much all BB disciples are trash?

They all try to do things “the Patriot way” wherever they go and it backfired literally every time.

It's pretty sad when BOB has been the most successful. Although Flores looks like he could turn out to be a good one, but it's still too early to say.

• Like 1

Give me a break with this Rivera BS. Sean McDermott was the reason for his success. Their defense wasn’t the same without him. They were good the year after they left because wilks ran the exact same stuff with the same players. They sucked once his influence was gone. I’ve never watched a panthers game and thought he out coached anyone. It was cam newton and Sean McDermott carrying him. McCarthy wouldn’t be much better either. I’m not buying that puff piece about him changing his ways. Old coaches don’t change. He or his agent probably paid to have that put out. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Give me a break with this Rivera BS. Sean McDermott was the reason for his success. Their defense wasn’t the same without him. They were good the year after they left because wilks ran the exact same stuff with the same players. They sucked once his influence was gone. I’ve never watched a panthers game and thought he out coached anyone. It was cam newton and Sean McDermott carrying him. McCarthy wouldn’t be much better either. I’m not buying that puff piece about him changing his ways. Old coaches don’t change. He or his agent probably paid to have that put out. 

If it was all McDermott? Why was he pretty bad with the eagles? Eagles DC in ‘09 and ‘10. He took over a defense that was the #4 and #9 ranked scoring defenses the two years prior. He takes over and they go 19th and 21st scoring defense. He gets fired and the following season the defense is top10. Its. It like McDermott was a godly DC he was there from ‘11 to ‘16 and only had two seasons where his defense was better than the 18th scoring defense. 

49 minutes ago, buno67 said:

If it was all McDermott? Why was he pretty bad with the eagles? Eagles DC in ‘09 and ‘10. He took over a defense that was the #4 and #9 ranked scoring defenses the two years prior. He takes over and they go 19th and 21st scoring defense. He gets fired and the following season the defense is top10. Its. It like McDermott was a godly DC he was there from ‘11 to ‘16 and only had two seasons where his defense was better than the 18th scoring defense. 

He was a brand new DC in Philly. He took over after Jim Johnson died. He was running a lot of his stuff without knowing how to call yet. He was still new. He became a lot better with experience. 

On 12/18/2019 at 8:47 AM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

At what point do we accept that pretty much all BB disciples are trash?

They all try to do things “the Patriot way” wherever they go and it backfired literally every time.

Scout the player not the school. Every Bama/OSU player has unique high-level program experiences that give them additional insight/training to succeed at the next level, but that doesn't mean every Bama player will be good or great. It's the same with coaches.

I'm not of the Hire a Bill-disciple for the hiring sakes, but there's reasons to think McDaniels COULD be a good HC this time around because of his advanced offensive flexibility and philosophy fit with our personnel, IF he's learned lessons and/or been humbled by his first Head Coaching experience, IF he can take the winning program lessons from Bill and make them his own, and if he can hire the right coaching staff.

29e27fe4c6014f729451f5230fac26b8.jpg

Also, a lot of the Pats former coaches struggled because of the situations they were thrust into (i.e., the Browns) and experienced the same fate as coaches put in other losing organization positions. A lot of people are down on Patricia and he had a rocky first year, but he much like Flores has gotten his players to play above their heads and beyond injury and battle all year. Nick Saban, Pat Hill, Kirk Ferentz, Mike Vrabel, and Bill O'brien (I don't know why people think he sucks so bad.. you have to look beyond buzz names like Wat and Clowney to see what those rosters were really like). Matt Patricia and Brian Flores look promising. Crennel, Al Groh, Weiss, Mangini didn't do it. McDaniels had success with Tim freakin Tebow and then he fizzled out so he's TBD.

Ultimately, IDGAF if they are from the BB coaching tree or not, but I think McDaniels given the coaches on the market is a worthwhile consideration amongst some of the other coaches that should be considered first.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I'd have to disagree wholeheartedly with the idea that Cam and McDermott carried Rivera.

Rivera early on was like Andy Reid in that though he had a Defensive Coordinator in name on the staff, he actually called the plays and lead the meetings not his coordinator. It wasn't until later on that play-calling duties were passed on to McDermott and then to Wilks subsequently.

Without McDermott their Defense actually achieved even higher heights under Rivera-Wilks in 2017 finishing 5th in rush DVOA; 11th in pass DVOA; and 7th in overall defense DVOA Efficiency compared to 9th the previous year. McDermott is one heck of a coach and the one I wish we had; there's no doubt he was a major positive force for Rivera and the panthers but a lot of his defensive innovations are directly from the Rivera hybrid 46 and 43 looks in his defensive arsenal.

In 2018, Cam was hurt and their team experienced a lot of roster turnover with players getting older or leaving for other reasons (Thomas Davis, etc). In 2019, Cam's been hurt and they started an UDFA rookie named Kyle Allen the whole year. The team battled consistently all year, but fell flat on its face in other spots.

To say it was Cam and McDermott carrying Rivera ignores that Rivera actually called the plays and was the lead organizer of the defensive meetings a la Andy Reid during McDermott's tenure AND that Rivera successfully navigated that team through media scandal and/or major distractions via the owner, players (Greg Hardy), and the GM. He also knows how to motivate and work with Super star players having been a former player on the Buddy Ryan Bears.

Rivera is not the perfect solution or perfect coach, but he's a strong candidate that deserves consideration because of his program/culture leadership and edge .... and certainly deserves consideration over the likes of Mike McCarthy.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mind Character said:

I'd have to disagree wholeheartedly with the idea that Cam and McDermott carried Rivera.

Rivera early on was like Andy Reid in that though he had a Defensive Coordinator in name on the staff, he actually called the plays and lead the meetings not his coordinator. It wasn't until later on that play-calling duties were passed on to McDermott and then to Wilks subsequently.

Without McDermott their Defense actually achieved even higher heights under Rivera-Wilks in 2017 finishing 5th in rush DVOA; 11th in pass DVOA; and 7th in overall defense DVOA Efficiency compared to 9th the previous year. McDermott is one heck of a coach and the one I wish we had; there's no doubt he was a major positive force for Rivera and the panthers but a lot of his defensive innovations are directly from the Rivera hybrid 46 and 43 looks in his defensive arsenal.

In 2018, Cam was hurt and their team experienced a lot of roster turnover with players getting older or leaving for other reasons (Thomas Davis, etc). In 2019, Cam's been hurt and they started an UDFA rookie named Kyle Allen the whole year. The team battled consistently all year, but fell flat on its face in other spots.

To say it was Cam and McDermott carrying Rivera ignores that Rivera actually called the plays and was the lead organizer of the defensive meetings a la Andy Reid during McDermott's tenure AND that Rivera successfully navigated that team through media scandal and/or major distractions via the owner, players (Greg Hardy), and the GM. He also knows how to motivate and work with Super star players having been a former player on the Buddy Ryan Bears.

Rivera is not the perfect solution or perfect coach, but he's a strong candidate that deserves consideration because of his program/culture leadership and edge .... and certainly deserves consideration over the likes of Mike McCarthy.

Love the idea of cutting 2 all pros so we can run a 3-4

Then trade mayfield for a running qb

That is McDaniels in a nutshell at least Coughlin knows how to run s 4-3

17 minutes ago, mtmmike said:

Love the idea of cutting 2 all pros so we can run a 3-4

Then trade mayfield for a running qb

That is McDaniels in a nutshell at least Coughlin knows how to run s 4-3

?? Huh.

Who said we'd have to cut 2 all pros? And who are these 2 all-pros? (Myles and??). The panthers ran a 43 defense for 6 out of 11 of Rivera's years. He played and made his bones in the 43 and 46 defense. He switched to the 34 when he went to the Chargers. So, he's multiple. McDaniels hired Eberflus for the Colts job and Eberflus now runs a 43 defense. Hiring Mcdaniels wouldn't necessarily mean running a 34.

Why would Rivera or Josh McDaniels need running QBs? Rivera's a defensive coach. Mcdaniels loves Baker and doesn't prefer running QBs.

There are many reasons as to why Rivera or McDaniels would not be good hires, but none of the two points you've made are included in those reasons.

20 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

?? Huh.

Who said we'd have to cut 2 all pros? And who are these 2 all-pros? (Myles and??). The panthers ran a 43 defense for 6 out of 11 of Rivera's years. He played and made his bones in the 43 and 46 defense. He switched to the 34 when he went to the Chargers. So, he's multiple. McDaniels hired Eberflus for the Colts job and Eberflus now runs a 43 defense. Hiring Mcdaniels wouldn't necessarily mean running a 34.

Why would Rivera or Josh McDaniels need running QBs? Rivera's a defensive coach. Mcdaniels loves Baker and doesn't prefer running QBs.

There are many reasons as to why Rivera or McDaniels would not be good hires, but none of the two points you've made are included in those reasons.

Your right I am wrong 

Rivera is a below 500 coach with cam

And McDaniels I believe is 1-1

Please pardon me for not liking the coach that traded Cutler for tebow because of discipline principles. 

5 minutes ago, mtmmike said:

Your right I am wrong 

Rivera is a below 500 coach with cam

And McDaniels I believe is 1-1

Please pardon me for not liking the coach that traded Cutler for tebow because of discipline principles. 

You know how you fix this? Don’t let your coach draft players. Every coach is a terrible FO executive when given the power. Even belichick sucks at drafting. 

• Like 2