Possible Coaching Candidates Now That Freddie Is Fired

cortes02

11 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

If McCarthy and Rivera are being discussed then why not? Marvin Lewis is on that same level. I actually think he’s severely underrated. He overstayed his welcome in cinci but I don’t think many other coaches could have won as many games that he did with those rosters. He won 6 games last year with a team that’s won 1 this year. 

Eh, some of those years they had some pretty nice rosters and he never won a playoff game.

He’s underrated I agree, but not so much I think he gets a look here.  Also I can’t see him wanting to work here after Hue.

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Eh, some of those years they had some pretty nice rosters and he never won a playoff game.

He’s underrated I agree, but not so much I think he gets a look here.  Also I can’t see him wanting to work here after Hue.

Give him cam newton or Aaron Rodgers and I guarantee he wins some playoff games. Give McCarthy and Rivera dalton and see what happens. He did more with less. 

• Like 1

FFS no McCarthy. He squandered the best years of Rodgers and seemed happy with his buddy Capers running a defense that was incredibly frustrating to watch. Unless y'all think it was because of Thompson?

Source: Tayne watched pretty much every Packer game when it didn't overlap the game time during that period. There was so much wrong around Rodgers. The run game never looked credible--was masked by how much Rodgers scared defenses. Just look at the team now without even going hard at the offensive line yet.

Edited by NudeTayne
  • Like 1

Would rather see if Freddie can clean things up next season--really don't wanna--than know we'd be giving McCarthy too much power, a 5/$40 mil or something that we will be paying off after he is fired by year 3. No. It was the perfect storm lucking into Rodgers from Favre. No.

Edited by NudeTayne

As much as I’m on the “Riverboat Ron or bust” train, give me the guy who is able to transform Baker and our offense going forward in the immediate future.

I want a QB guru and offensive wizard.

Defensively, give me someone who actually utilizes our personnel and schemes to our strengths. We are going to have major holes at the safety positions and depth issues on the DL, but this soft zone and sit back on our heels non attacking defensive scheme can go.

21 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

There aren’t very many McVays/Paytons out there though. At this point, I think the best bet is to hire a good head coach that can build a good locker room culture and do adequate in-game and really prioritize the hires at OC/QB coach to transform the offense/QB. I don’t want to fall into the trap of just hiring an offensive guy to be our head coach, because I think this team has lots of issues in general.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

There aren’t very many McVays/Paytons out there though. At this point, I think the best bet is to hire a good head coach that can build a good locker room culture and do adequate in-game and really prioritize the hires at OC/QB coach to transform the offense/QB. I don’t want to fall into the trap of just hiring an offensive guy to be our head coach, because I think this team has lots of issues in general.

If you hire Ron or even McCarthy, you can have a proven QB builder. Plus I don’t believe in McVay to the point that everyone else does.

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

Sure. But you Hire them as QB Coach and/or OC  --OR-- as a QB Coach with OC Responsibilities.

A QB guru and offensive wizard does not make a good or great Head Coach.

The utmost qualification for Head Coach is ability to implement and create a a winning football systematic program/culture, as well as their ability to hire similarly qualified assistant coaches.

We have to break the Hot QB guru/good OC hire for HC cycle of madness.

• Like 2

The problem with Rivera that is likely going to hurt him this off-season is that he's known to be a very isolated head coach not maintaining far reaching and/or close ties with other current and former head/assistant coaches or even mentors. 

That may hurt him when it comes to the type/quality of assistant coaching staffs he proposes to GMs and Owners. His assistant lists doesn't have a great deal of depth and/or sampling of various coaching trees or coaches thought to be adapted to/updated with current NFL trends. 

The assistant coaching staff is everything a lot of times for owners as it tells them what their organization could look like in a few years via potential elevation of successors to assistant positions, firings of particular staff members, and/or coaches leaving for bigger roles elsewhere.

Often times when HC candidates are close in the hiring teams mind, the coach that wins is the one with the "best" assistants and support staff plans..

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 1

The associated/potential OC, QB Coach, and Defensive Coordinator are critical elements of a future HC hire.

In the spirit of discussing future coaching hires for the Browns, Who's the best combo staff based on who's reported to be their key assistants?

1.) HC: Ron Rivera; OC: Norv Turner/Scott Turner; QB Coach: Scott Turner; DC: Steve Wilks

2.) HC: Mike McCarthy; OC/QBC: Frank Cignetti Jr.; DC: Jim Haslett

3.) HC: Dan Campbell; OC/QBC: Joe Lombardi; DC: Mike Nolan

4.) HC: Kevin Stefanski; AHC: Brad Childress; OC: Kevin Stefanski; QB Coach: Bill Musgrave ; DC: Leslie Frazier

Whenever we think of names for HC, it's important to think about who's coming with them as principal members of the staff.

When taken together as a staff, it honestly looks different imo.

Edited by Mind Character