Possible Coaching Candidates Now That Freddie Is Fired

cortes02

15 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

I truly hope your opinion is more accurate.  I, however, think that Dorsey hired Freddie because of the fact he was making such a giant leap from position coach to head coach, and would not clash with him on personnel decisions.

I think there’s definitely a chance that happened.

I also think Dorsey knows this is his last hire (he’s not gonna get to hire a 3rd guy) and he has to get it right.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

With all the former Green Bay staff that we currently employ, there had to be a reason that he didn't at least interview last year.  Dorsey and McCarthy must clash somehow, and Dorsey didn't want a strong minded HC to fight with over power.  JMHO

Well Didn’t they  want Freddie kept on staff and that McCarthy would want his own guy as OC

i think the browns did a lot of favors for Freddie last year. You can’t blame them, Freddie did a lot of great things with the young guys. You thought what he did with the offense might be carried over to the whole team but he and the franchise fell right onto their face. 

I prolly want McCarthy the most. He will prolly bring in the most experienced staff we have ever seen. I think they will just bring a level of structure and professionalism that we haven’t seen prolly since Mangini

• Like 1

Idgaf who they hire, I want them to hire a staff to run the offense and the defense.

I completely understand why coaches want to keep calling plays, but it’s a full time job, as is head coaching.

Just hire some dudes and let’s be boring as hell for a few years.  Draft OL and defense, no splash FA signings, re-up the guys we have and everyone shut the loud holes in their faces.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, buno67 said:

Rather get us a coach that gets to a playoff plateau than anything first...why do we think it will be easy for a new coach to come in and surpass a bunch of issues and milestones? We all thought Freddie could do that when we had playoff hopes and division winning hope all preseason  

we seriously need to walk before we run, hell we might not even be crawling. We’re still struggling to turn over and not crap up our backs 

Trust me I get what you guys are saying. I’m right around 50/50 on it. After the crap we’ve seen this year mediocre sounds downright appealing. But I just fear that if we hire a slightly above average coach we’re stuck with him through Baker’s prime years. Have good teams but coaching will just not be good enough to overcome the amped up play in the playoffs. Baker retires and we’ll be on that lovely never ending search for a new qb. 

To me McCarthy and Rivera are on the Marvin Williams tier of qb. But what do I know, I’m the worst at picking coaches. 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

Trust me I get what you guys are saying. I’m right around 50/50 on it. After the crap we’ve seen this year mediocre sounds downright appealing. But I just fear that if we hire a slightly above average coach we’re stuck with him through Baker’s prime years. Have good teams but coaching will just not be good enough to overcome the amped up play in the playoffs. Baker retires and we’ll be on that lovely never ending search for a new qb. 

To me McCarthy and Rivera are on the Marvin Williams tier of qb. But what do I know, I’m the worst at picking coaches. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I think McCarthy and Rivera have proven that with talent, they can win.

More than anything you need talent and consistency.  We’ve got one of those.

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think McCarthy and Rivera have proven that with talent, they can win.

More than anything you need talent and consistency.  We’ve got one of those.

Yeah it’s like I told bones, ask me again tomorrow and it might be a different answer. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bonanza23 said:

I rather have a coach like them come in, change the culture and get us stuck at 8-11wins a year. That at least will show us things are working right in other areas of the franchise. I think it be easier to be stuck on that plateau and get a coach To come in try and Get us over the hump like that. We can’t be looking at hiring a super bowl winning coach. We need a coach who can change the culture, get this team to win games on a consistent bases, and get them to win the division or make the playoffs. 

Right now the browns just need a coach who can change the culture and set it up for the future. That’s the thing this team is missing the most.

marvin willims wasn’t a bad coach, he just worked for a crap organization. If that team would have kept some of their better weapons and players, they would have done better. They should have never let the likes of Smith Whitworth, Zeitler, Sanu, Jones and etc walk away. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TypicalBrowns10 said:

You know what's kind of ****ty. Shashi brown and co wanted Sean McDermott.... Haslams forced Hue upon us. Damn what could of been.

Real question is this. Hue was one of the best candidates on the market that year. He wasn’t considered a hire out of left field. Question is, would McDermott have survived the tank? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, buno67 said:

Real question is this. Hue was one of the best candidates on the market that year. He wasn’t considered a hire out of left field. Question is, would McDermott have survived the tank? 

No coach on earth would've survived that successful 2-year historic tank-job with Kessler, Kizer, and the great Kenny Britt-Bryce Treggs show. That plan was designed to break everyone and everything except for the draft picks.

However, McDermott would've probably would've went 5-27 instead of 1-31 and there would've been less media frenzy around players being thrown under the bus and less noise. All in all it would've been a more peaceful, miserable tank. Less screaming and ringing of hands while the ship sunk but sink to the depth the ships most definitely would've. 

McDermott also wouldn't have accepted Haley from Dorsey meaning the year 3 offense would've gotten off to a better start.

Just now, Mind Character said:

No coach on earth would've survived that successful 2-year historic tank-job with Kessler, Kizer, and the great Kenny Britt-Bryce Treggs show. That plan was designed to break everyone and everything except for the draft picks.

However, McDermott would've probably would've went 5-27 instead of 1-31 and there would've been less media frenzy around players being thrown under the bus and less noise. All in all it would've been a more peaceful, miserable tank. Less screaming and ringing of hands while the ship sunk but sink to the depth the ships most definitely would've. 

McDermott also wouldn't have accepted Haley from Dorsey meaning the year 3 offense would've gotten off to a better start.

I don't think no coach could have survived.

Haslem gave Hue the 3rd year, I assume he would have done the same to McDermott.

Had we done as well as we did last year with McDermott remaining, I assumed we would have kept him hoping we could improve on that.

I Also think someone could have done great with the talent we had last year and this year if they knew what they were doing...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CBrownsman said:

I don't think no coach could have survived.

Haslem gave Hue the 3rd year, I assume he would have done the same to McDermott.

Had we done as well as we did last year with McDermott remaining, I assumed we would have kept him hoping we could improve on that.

I Also think someone could have done great with the talent we had last year and this year if they knew what they were doing...

It's why I said "survive the 2-year historic tanking blah blah blah," ... mainly because after 2 years of historic losing what happens to the coach no matter what their quality (trash or good) is what Joe Thomas called "the shattering of belief in what they say and what their program is,"... it's why when you then go and bring in a new class or rookies and free agents entering year 3 "the stench" of losing is everywhere and the players see you as a loser. Joe Thomas also said it well when he said "whenever the new players come in or new coaches join the media, fans, and family immediately talk to that person about the popular narratives: that the coach is awful and everything is negative."

Maybe McDermott could've won a few more games in that 3rd year given we almost did with a tie, multiple overtime games, and getting screwed in the Raiders game. However, Todd Haley and the political games might've doomed McDermott or whoever the coach was in that 3rd year as well.

Point is. Hue was nowhere close to the type of coach to maintain sanity during the 2-year tank job. Mostly, no coach's reputation or players' belief in them can survive becoming an historic 2-year course loser.

The plan worked as designed. It was meant to be terrible. The only thing people forgot to keep in mind at the outset of the tank was that it's also part of plan that at the end of the 2-year tank that the coach and coaching staff gets flushed along with any evidence of a tank plan in order to achieve the perfect sports crime.