Week 10 GDT - Seattle Seahawks at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

I think this game is pretty simple in nature. Expose the Seattle defense, grow the lead and then run the clock out. Seattle as a team is not scary. Wilson carries the team. The running lanes should be there, the passing opportunities should be there. Win first down and control the down and distance game. Carson is an option in the pass game. They will check down to him, but really a lot of what they do on offense is Wilson moving and taking shots. Secondary needs to hold up and limit the Seattle WR's downfield. I agree with J that a quarters look on defense isn't a terrible idea. IT helps against the spread because you are more athletic with only 1 LB on the field.

Niners get out in front early and never look back

37-17

54 minutes ago, clarkfn2284 said:

I think this game is pretty simple in nature. Expose the Seattle defense, grow the lead and then run the clock out. Seattle as a team is not scary. Wilson carries the team. The running lanes should be there, the passing opportunities should be there. Win first down and control the down and distance game. Carson is an option in the pass game. They will check down to him, but really a lot of what they do on offense is Wilson moving and taking shots. Secondary needs to hold up and limit the Seattle WR's downfield. I agree with J that a quarters look on defense isn't a terrible idea. IT helps against the spread because you are more athletic with only 1 LB on the field.

Niners get out in front early and never look back

37-17

Although that Russell Wilson Magic scares me.

I'll say 27-17 us.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/49ers-kyle-juszczyk-ready-ride-vs-seahawks-monday-night

Juice is ready to go. Some interesting notes in that article about how he feels, most notably "fresh" - which is different for him this late in the season. Given that we're undefeated, this 4-6 week "bye" for some key blockers might really be a blessing in disguise. Wear and tear is real late in the season. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I was actually curious to see these stats the last few days. It is a catch 22. You play zone to prevent Wilson from killing you with his legs, but then you also allow him to find openings and just pick you apart. 

The difference is the pass rush, though. Get to Wilson before he has time to pick it apart. Easier said than done, sure, but that's where the difference would sit. 

Plus, we've been more zone match which I think will also help. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

The difference is the pass rush, though. Get to Wilson before he has time to pick it apart. Easier said than done, sure, but that's where the difference would sit. 

Pressure will be key and keeping him inside the pocket. Obviously he's still good enough to make you pay, but if he gets to the edge like Murray did? It's going to be a LONG day. 

9 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

The bolded is the key. The 49ers have the #1 rated pass rush and the #1 rated pass defense, according to Football Outsiders. 

TB: #23 pass rush / #26 pass defense

ATL: #32 pass rush /  #31 pass defense

BAL: #26 pass rush / #14 pass defense

Zone may lead to some big plays for Wilson, but the Seahawks have not faced a pass rush like the 49ers this year.

Whats the rate SF plays zone? not sure how much stock I put in that stat. 

I remember Sherman saying that every team in the league plays about 50/50 man and zone - or a combo of both. Its how you disguise it pre-snap that matters most when facing these top QB's. 

37 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Wilson is elusive, but he is no Kyler or Lamar. I expect the pass rush will be more trouble for him than it was for Kyler.

I mean, he's no Lamar. I don't think Kyler is superior in that regard though. Pocket movement, elusiveness, awareness. Wilson is top notch in these regards. 

• Like 2