GDT Week 10: Packers vs. Panthers (Martinez on an Island Edition)

AlexGreen#20

What I've been saying for a while. It was a dumb decision from day 1 to move Amos into the dime LB spot and take him out of his natural safety position next to Savage. All the guy did was make the play of the game against the Bears when he was roaming the middle of the field at safety, and then we moved him out of position because Greene went down and apparently Burks is too incompetent to see the field in that role whatsoever. 

Need Amos back at safety where he belongs and let Campbell man the dime LB spot until Greene is back. Not sure what you do with Burks at this point. Huge disappointment there. 

Edited by packfanfb

14 minutes ago, packfanfb said:
Not sure what you do with Burks at this point. Huge disappointment there. 

Given the huge hole in talent at ILB/hybrid S, 3rd round pick Burks may be an even bigger disappointment to date than 2nd round pick Josh Jackson, because at least there is talent in front of Jackson.

7 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Given the huge hole in talent at ILB/hybrid S, 3rd round pick Burks may be an even bigger disappointment to date than 2nd round pick Josh Jackson, because at least there is talent in front of Jackson.

It was a very skeptical, off the radar pick from day 1. Probably 3/4 of this board or more hadn't even heard of the guy, which obviously doesn't mean he couldn't turn out to be a good player, but I think there was genuine shock and question across Packerland when we not only selected Burks, but traded up for a guy who didn't even have much experience playing ILB in college. Seemed like a big reach then, and unfortunately, it hasn't gotten any better.  

“I think we certainly got a lot to correct,” LaFleur said before practice. “We have a really good opponent coming in here. Shoot, I think they’re No. 1 in the league in sacks. They’re one of the top teams in turnovers. They got the leading rusher in the league. There’s a lot to go over and we have to be well-prepared for this opponent.”

The Panthers are 5-3 but have won five of their last six games (AZ, HOU, JAX, TB, SF, TN). Their offense revolves around running back Christian McCaffrey, who leads the NFL in rushing yards per game, scrimmage yards per game, rushing touchdowns and total touchdowns. The defense is a big-play unit that is No. 2 in sack percentage and No. 3 in interception percentage.

“I think it’s beneficial to have a similar schedule each and every week,” he said. “When you look at the way we are right now health-wise and everything, I thought it was important we get out there and get on the grass on Wednesday, and get a good practice in. We need it.”

Edited by Leader

I really hope some of you guys are wrong, and Pettine tries something different this week. Why not put something new on film and then hopefully you have a come to Jesus moment during the bye week. Savage and or Campbell on McCaffrey and I would just love to see more aggression. We have this secondary that has been talked up so much. Lets play a little more risk and reward. I get why we have seen what we have seen, but if the offense has an off day we are totally exposed. At some point you have to try something new...

Also, I don't get the burks situation at all. 

Im gettin tired of Pettine's scheme the last number of weeks.

Seems like most of the time we have 5 or 6 in the box (only rushing 3 or 4), while dropping 5 or 6 into a large cushion man coverage or a deeper zone coverage. Most of the time we dont have all of the gaps filled in the run game with so few players in the box, and Blake Martinez is most certainly not good enough to handle the run game and multiple gaps by himself. Most of the time the QB has enough time to go through his reads and wait for one of his options to run through an unoccupied zone. The funny thing about this style of defense is that its supposed to prevent the longer big chunk plays, that has not been the case. 

Our defense's strengths lie in our big powerful edge rushers, and our uber athletic secondary. I wish we would go back to playing a more aggressive style of defense, where we can actually dictate things. Id like to see every one up or near the line, except one deep safety, and a strong side safety about ten yards back. Id have our outside corners man up near the line as well. Id then utilize our stout edge guys to squeeze the pocket and our interior to collapse pockets forcing the ball to be released in about half the time as usual by bringing 5 nearly every play. If we get beat over the top from time to time, so be it. At least it wouldnt be a 12 play 8 minute drive that gasses our defense and has our offense lose their rhythm.

I have no idea what the numbers are, but weve given up a ton of points per drive over the last 5 games or so as well as tons of long sustained drives and still a high average on yards per play. 

The prevent style of defense needs to go. Pettine has been a major disappointment so far this season. 

• Like 2

Just now, gopackgo247 said:

as has been the case since the Philly game. it sickening to watch the defense be so bad after they were SO good. 

Thank Pettine. Starting with the Philly game hes decided on a passive version of deploying his defense. Blows my mind hes stuck with it. I do not get it. 

6 minutes ago, n8ghee said:

Thank Pettine. Starting with the Philly game hes decided on a passive version of deploying his defense. Blows my mind hes stuck with it. I do not get it. 

Matt needs to step in at some point and right the ship. i know hes been hands off for the most part but the D has absolutely fallen apart. 

4 minutes ago, gopackgo247 said:

Matt needs to step in at some point and right the ship. i know hes been hands off for the most part but the D has absolutely fallen apart. 

Im surprised we havent heard of the players revolting. They have to be unhappy.