18. Memphis 
19. Boise State
20. SMU
21. Navy
22. Texas
23. Iowa
24. Indiana
25. Oklahoma State

Others receiving votes: Appalachian State 73, Kansas State 67, Texas A&M 42, Wake Forest 38, Louisiana Tech 25, Virginia 12, San Diego State 7, Iowa State 4, Virginia Tech 4, Washington 3, Pittsburgh 2, UCF 2, Air Force 2, USC 1, Illinois 1

The Coaches Poll 

1. LSU (55)
2. Ohio State (5)
3. Clemson (4)
4. Alabama
5. Georgia
6. Oregon
7. Minnesota
8. Oklahoma
9. Utah
10. Baylor
11. Penn State
12. Florida
13. Auburn
14. Michigan 
15. Wisconsin
16. Notre Dame
17. Cincinnati
18. Memphis
19. Boise State
20. SMU
21. Navy
22. Iowa 
23. Texas
24. Appalachian State
25. Indiana

Schools dropped out: No. 20 Wake Forest; No. 22 Kansas State; No. 24 San Diego State.

Other receiving votes: Oklahoma State 49; Wake Forest 45; Louisiana Tech 43; Kansas State 38; San Diego State 32; Texas A&M 31; Air Force 25; Virginia Tech 17; Virginia 12; Wyoming 1; UL Lafayette 1; Central Florida 1.

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I really hope that the committee rankings do not mirror these, as far as Minnesota being behind Georgia and Oregon go.  They should be ahead of them right now.  It also appears Baylor is being punished- and rightly so- for TCU taking them to 3OT. 

With where the committee had Minnesota before this week, I would expect Minnesota will still be behind some of those teams and might get another bump with a win over Iowa this next week.

I would anticipate that Georgia/Alabama are fourth and fifth in whatever order in the committee rankings. If one through three were to stay the same throughout the rest of the year into the playoffs, Clemson versus Ohio State is a real heavyweight match. Part of me still thinks they are the two best teams in the country right now. This is not discounting what LSU has done and their resume as a team ranked number one.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Never forget Minnesota had to come from behind in the 4th quarter to beat FCS South Dakota and Georgia Southern, and took 2 OTs to beat Fresno State. 

Never forget Alabama looked human against Duke for a half or that Clemson needed a failed 2pt conversion to get past UNC or that 3 of LSU's marquee wins came by a combined 15 points- 2 of which came against teams that could wind up out of the top 20-25 by season's end.

Dont get me wrong, wins are wins, though Minnesota has had some ugly ones. But ugly wins haven't hurt the Clemsons and Alabamas of the world in recent years. 

My only beef was that as one of 5 undefeated teams left, they were stuck way back. I think 7 is fine for them all told, but I think Alabama being tasked by Citadel last year for a large chunk of game time was about the worse thing I've seen and very few brought it up as them not being elite.

Just want to see credit where credit is due, and Minnesota's win yesterday is arguably the most impressive of the year thus far (LSU beating up on Alabama for a majority of the game is their competition in my eyes). 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Never forget Minnesota had to come from behind in the 4th quarter to beat FCS South Dakota and Georgia Southern, and took 2 OTs to beat Fresno State. 

Yeah, and Georgia lost to SCar.  That's enough for me to put Minnesota over Georgia and I am as big a fan of Georgia as you will find.  

2 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Never forget Alabama looked human against Duke for a half or that Clemson needed a failed 2pt conversion to get past UNC or that 3 of LSU's marquee wins came by a combined 15 points- 2 of which came against teams that could wind up out of the top 20-25 by season's end.

Dont get me wrong, wins are wins, though Minnesota has had some ugly ones. But ugly wins haven't hurt the Clemsons and Alabamas of the world in recent years. 

My only beef was that as one of 5 undefeated teams left, they were stuck way back. I think 7 is fine for them all told, but I think Alabama being tasked by Citadel last year for a large chunk of game time was about the worse thing I've seen and very few brought it up as them not being elite.

Just want to see credit where credit is due, and Minnesota's win yesterday is arguably the most impressive of the year thus far (LSU beating up on Alabama for a majority of the game is their competition in my eyes). 

Fantastic post, I agree with just about all of it.  I am really bummed that I elected to take last weekend off work instead of this one, as I missed the PSU/Minnesota matchup.  I was still home in time for the 3:30 games, but I missed one heck of a game.  

I'm so over the playoff committee. Let's just call it what it is, which are the opinions of a very small group of people. There is no process. There are no criteria. The only thing that you have to do is look good. Winning and losing doesn't matter as much as how good you look. We should really stop keeping score and just play football games based on the eye test. In every other major sport wins and losses matter, but somehow in college football our championship contenders are determined by a panel of judges. 

10 minutes ago, Lions017 said:

I'm so over the playoff committee. Let's just call it what it is, which are the opinions of a very small group of people. There is no process. There are no criteria. The only thing that you have to do is look good. Winning and losing doesn't matter as much as how good you look. We should really stop keeping score and just play football games based on the eye test. In every other major sport wins and losses matter, but somehow in college football our championship contenders are determined by a panel of judges. 

Well there is an issue with a lack of cross over games between the conferences to create a meaningful gauge of their power.  If this was 8+ teams with conference champs getting in, then there wouldn't be an issue, but right now a panel is the only way to decide between an undefeated Group of 5 team and a 1 loss Power 5 team.

After Georgia and Alabama beat them, I expect that Auburn will be the best 4 loss team in the country. It will also be Alabama's best win this year. Luckily for them, LSU will beat Georgia in the SEC Title game and help vault Alabama into that 4th spot.

Assuming chalk wins out (tough assumption obviously with UGA having a tough slate and OSU playing PSU/UM/B1G Title game if they beat PSU) in the first round, we will likely see:

1 LSU vs. 4 Alabama

2 OSU vs. 3 Clemson

Both the PAC and BIG XII will be left out IMO.

If 2 SEC teams are going to make it, I at least want to see them play Round 1 so that we don't have a repeat of the UGA/Bama All SEC title game a few years ago.

Frankly, I don't see a 1 loss Oregon team leaping Alabama with the "comparable opponent" in Auburn. It'll be a shame that the Ducks threw that one away on Game 1 of the season. It will also be evidence to people that playing a horrifically OOC schedule like Bama and Clemson (who in their defense at least tried to schedule Texas A&M who was supposed to be good) is exactly what you should do, because otherwise you may eliminate yourself from CFP contention Week 1/2 of the season. 

On 11/10/2019 at 8:15 PM, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Sorry basically your saying that Minny still won right? Cause that’s all that matters 

• Like 2