This Aint Packers Talk v69

CWood21

I would love to contribute but I've never listened to the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Rush... I generally can't stand the production in older music and I've never found the appeal on listening to music I don't enjoy just for "musical culture", like those "100 influential albums you should listen to before you die". I guess I'll stay an ignorant.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Ah controversial music opinions.

The Beatles suck, there's not a single song they play that I won't skip or change the station. Most overrated band in the history of mankind.

So I’m not as extreme as you but the Sgt Peppers, Magical Mystery Tour, era... hard pass! That said there’s about 10 songs i’m Quite fond of.

Here Comes the Sun

Let It Be

Hey Jude

Twist and Shout (nostalgic)

While My Guitar Gently Weeps (because Clapton just kills is on guitar!)

With a Little Help From My Friends (nostalgic)

Come Together

*Probably one or two I missed

Edited by TheGreatZepp

I was not a fan of Paul McCartney.  Then he played across the street.  It sounded amazing.  100% recommend.  Same story with Billy Joel.

I have to disagree with the Beatles.  I don't think everything they did was amazing, but they have quite a few good songs.  Are they overrated? Probably.  Does that mean they aren't good? Not at all.

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Ah controversial music opinions. The Beatles suck, there's not a single song they play that I won't skip or change the station. Most overrated band in the history of mankind.

Girls like Beatles music. Sorry to hear you never enjoyed the experience :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Ah controversial music opinions.

The Beatles suck, there's not a single song they play that I won't skip or change the station. Most overrated band in the history of mankind.

HardtofindThinEarthworm-small.gif

Agree with that statement 100%.  I have never liked a single Beatles song and I don't know how ITF they are considered the best ever. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Rush seriously does suck except for literally three songs.  I kept hearing I had to listen to them, I had to listen to them, I had to listen to them and I listened to every single one of their songs and I liked three of them and the rest sounded exactly the same. 

I feel the same about KISS.  Sure the show is cool, but the songs stink.

I don't really understand the Beatles haters, but I was 13/14 in 1965, the perfect time to grow up with them. They were as revolutionary as Dylan. From the early 'Please Please Me', 'Twist and Shout' and 'She Loves You' (63/64), they rapidly evolved with things like the sitar inspired 'Norwegian Wood' in late 65, 'A Day in the Life (67), Come Together' (69). They were about compelling melodies, simple and complex. Their evolving personas, clothing, and music were a part of that time. They were massively hyped, but with reason, just as the Beach Boys were in the USA at the time. They never had the musical complexities of, say, Zappa, but you cannot be that if your forte is melody. Take them for what they were, among the major architects of the utterly massive change in music from 1964 to 1969 (the year of Woodstock). Music has never evolved as completely as it did in that period. I will add that there are some singers with great voices that I don't like. Every time I hear 'White Christmas' I want to get a gun and go hunting Bing Crosby, but even there he defeats me (he died in the 70's).

There are not so many great male voices in my era, but loads of singular ones (much more accurate than 'terrible', the difference being that they are enjoyable).
I'd say ace voices include Howlin Wolf ('Spoonful' and Smokestack Lightning' tracks), Mick Hucknall (in 'Men and Women' and 'Picture Book' albums), Peter Gabriel (loads), Bruce Dickinson (listen to Iron Maiden's 'Run to The Hills' track) Robert Plant (loads) and James Taylor (Sweet Baby James), Freddie Mercury, Jon Anderson (Yes), Justin Hayward (Moody Blues). There just aren't many singers with golden voices like Nat King Cole.

Other male singers had singular, distinctive voices rather than great ones, singers like David Bowie, Neal Young, Phil Collins, Tom Waits, Bob Dylan, Joe Cocker, Ray Davies (Kinks), Mick Jagger, John Lennon, Edgar Broughton (listen to his fairly brief vocals on Zappa's 'Willie the Pimp'). Part of their magic can be in other things than sheer vocal quality, the quality of the music around the voice, the strength on the songwriting and the lyrics. With vocalists like Lee Brilleaux, it was the live performances that sprinkled magic dust on a very ordinary voice (Dr.Feelgood were awesome live). That energy reminds me of seeing Status Quo playing some smaller pubs and clubs in London, their driving rhythms always, always, got the whole place rocking in a way most bands would kill to achieve and they did it on some absurdly small stages.

This is all probably a bit incomprehensible to those in their 20's and 30s, who never lived through the epic music evolution from 1965 to 70, in the same way as they might never watch some of my all time favourite films like Orson Welles in 'TheThird Man' or Bogie and Greenstreet in 'The Maltese Falcon' , or the magic of Fellini's 'Roma', the strange and heartwarming 'Spirited Away' by Miyazaki.

I find it easier to catalogue golden female voices than male ones, I don't know why that is.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, wgbeethree said:

Oh yay! Crapping on music. We're in my wheelhouse now.

AC/DC is the most boring band ever. I swear you can't play it loud enough where I couldn't still fall asleep.

Led Zepplin stole like 90% of everything they did.

Billy Corigan (Smashing Pumpkins) is my guy whose voice I just can't deal with. 

Tom Waits is one of my all time favorites but he absolutely positively does not have a "good voice". I think I like him because he's such a terrible singer not despite of the fact he's a terrible singer though. He sounds like he smoked a carton of cigarettes while chewing on gravel and yet I still love it. 

If you like Rush I just assume you're an engineer. Something about that band and people who REALLY like math. I'm not sure what it is but I'm almost positive there is a correlation.

Dave Matthews Band is bad but have any of you ever heard of O.A.R.? My best explanation of the band is... "Do you and your frat bros like DMB but they're like too good of musicians? Well then so I have the band for you!"

I hate the Mettalica dudeUH because heUH emphasizises the last syllable of every lineUH way too muchUH!

White guy reggae bands are the bane of my existence.... But I really enjoy ska.🤷

Want to go through this piece by piece, because I like it.  Though I disagree about some.

AC/DC - I never could get into this.  Hells Bells is pretty cool before the vocals come in, other than that, I don't care for it at all.

Led Zeppelin - Love me some Led Zeppelin.  Having heard a lot of the stolen songs, I absolutely agree, they stole ideas.  I will say that without exception, I liked the Zeppelin version better than the original artist though.

Smashing Pumpkins - Also love me some Smashing Pumpkins.  Corgan does have a nasaly-whiny voice.  But I feel that their entire body of work is much more diverse than their contemporaries and is very good.  

Tom Waits - I can't get into it.  I don't get it.  It is not for me.

Rush - As stated before, I don't like it.  I turn it off when I hear it.

O.A.R. - But it was a crazy game of poker!!! let me tell you about it for 45 minutes! I agree, jam bands for the most part stink.  I did go to a Phish show with some friends.  They have some funky stuff in their library, but most of it is pretty crap.  OAR is complete garbage.  I might place Dave Matthews Band above them, because at least those songs end.

Metallica - Metallica is awesome, you shut your goddamn mouth!

Reggae music is only good live, and on a beach or boat.

Edited by ThatJerkDave
I said suck instead of stink, KMFDM sucks.

13 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I feel the same about KISS.  Sure the show is cool, but the songs stink.

I never liked anything about KISS's entire shtick. The get up, the music....any of it.
Pure Teen Pop Magazine stuff IMO.