Myles Garrett suspended indefinitely

RaidersAreOne

I’m on the side that believes the league did right by suspending Garrett indefinitely. Thought Pouncey should’ve gotten 5 games and with an appeal get it down to 3 (its not about the games, it’s about the appearance of equal punishment), and Rudolph should’ve gotten 2 games with a one game appeal.

A QB is supposed to be the face of a franchise and his involvement in that incident was a pathetic  look for the NFL. He was not a victim and was in fact an instigator. But you can’t punish him too harshly because he wasn’t stomping out people on the ground or cracking a helmet on anyone’s head.

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

I’m on the side that believes the league did right by suspending Garrett indefinitely. Thought Pouncey should’ve gotten 5 games and with an appeal get it down to 3 (its not about the games, it’s about the appearance of equal punishment), and Rudolph should’ve gotten 2 games with a one game appeal.

A QB is supposed to be the face of a franchise and his involvement in that incident was a pathetic  look for the NFL. He was not a victim and was in fact an instigator. But you can’t punish him too harshly because he wasn’t stomping out people on the ground or cracking a helmet on anyone’s head.

Yeah I think Rudolph just needed ejected and since that didn't happen I'd give him a game. Unlike many, I do take into account the action leading to each individual incident so I'd just give Pouncey 2 games because he was protecting his QB, I'd ignore the type of person he has appeared to be. I'd given Garrett 4 games for using the helmet because he wasn't the instigator so all of the other stuff where he retaliated would have been taken care of with the ejection. I know some think he should have 6, 16, lifetime ban for using the helmet as a weapon but it's hard to gauge how many games for that and 4 is where I land and 6 seems fine as a message for others.

I'm not sure why Ogunjobi got ejected and suspended for a push. I guess that sets a precedent and anyone who pushes a player to the ground can expect to be disqualified and suspended in the future.

Edited by Thomas5737

19 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Yeah I think Rudolph just needed ejected and since that didn't happen I'd give him a game. Unlike many, I do take into account the action leading to each individual incident so I'd just give Pouncey 2 games because he was protecting his QB, I'd ignore the type of person he has appeared to be. I'd given Garrett 4 games for using the helmet because he wasn't the instigator so all of the other stuff where he retaliated would have been taken care of with the ejection. I know some think he should have 6, 16, lifetime ban for using the helmet as a weapon but it's hard to gauge how many games for that and 4 is where I land and 6 seems fine as a message for others.

I'm not sure why Ogunjobi got ejected and suspended for a push. I guess that sets a precedent and anyone who pushes a player to the ground can expect to be disqualified and suspended in the future.

I’m in the camp of giving Garrett a 10 game suspension without an appeal option. You’ve got to make the punishment  so ridiculous for this that there’s no way it’s ever attempted again. Regardless of his instigation or not, the league can’t pretend to care about player safety and not take a hard stance on that. FWIW having watched it and from an equally biased perspective (obviously being a Ravens fan I don’t want either team to “win” as I’m sure you would feel the same), I thought the hit wasn’t late but the “takedown” was late. The ball was out in enough time for Garrett to easily adjust and go for the bear hug and then release option, but he slammed him.

So I think Rudolph had a right to be “upset”, but he doesn’t have the right to be tugging at another plays helmet or kicking him in the “kid dispenser”. That was legit a low blow response. As a QB he is supposed to hold himself to the highest standard. Instead he made himself look nothing more than like a drunk frat boy that couldn’t handle his liquor and then was bailed out by law enforcement because of privilege.

In terms of Ogunjobi, I agree with his suspension as well. He was being an obvious “tough guy” who was looking to pick a fight and he did it after the incident had been seemingly broken up. You could argue he’s “protecting” his teammate like Pouncey and I might agree, but I also believe Pouncey’s actions should’ve been more harshly penalized to a degree.

I think Ogunjobi and Rudolph’s actions aren’t similarly equal. They both came across as tough guy punks. Pushing a guy in the back and charging at a guy who is being restrained by two 300 lbs players.

Edited by diamondbull424

Everyone involved should’ve been suspended because of the look on the league. DeCastro was the guy I came away with some respect for. He tried to break up the incident and kept a level head seemingly the entire time while all this stuff was going down. Really respected what he did there. If not for him that situation could’ve been much worse.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

I thought the hit wasn’t late but the “takedown” was late.

You might want to take a look at it again, Myles already had his arms around (perhaps not touching) Rudolph when he just quickly sidearmed it away, Garrett's head was already beyond the point of knowing the ball was out. I'm not giving him the benefit of the doubt because he has often gave that push after knowing the QB got rid of the ball but on this specific play I don't think he could have known.

56 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

You’ve got to make the punishment  so ridiculous for this that there’s no way it’s ever attempted again

I don't think it would ever stop an act like this that is just reactionary. Had Garrett thought about it he wouldn't have done it. In the heat of the altercation he certainly wasn't thinking at all and when you see red you can't control that stuff and he seems like a smart dude so he pretty much had to be emotionally out of control to do this and fines, suspensions nor anything else is going to get in anyone's head at that moment. What he needs to do is remove himself from a situation at the first sign that he is about to lose control. That's a Myles working on Myles thing though not really a football thing. A lot of us have been there where you lose control and hopefully you learn from it and remove yourself from any situation that arises that may put you there again because just like being stupid drunk or high on something you still pay the same consequences as if you were of sound mind at the time.

1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

In terms of Ogunjobi, I agree with his suspension as well. He was being an obvious “tough guy” who was looking to pick a fight and he did it after the incident had been seemingly broken up.

Well are we punishing his actions or what we felt he was feeling at the time? If you push a player down after the whistle you push a player down after the whistle. That is all it was. Unnecessary roughness and a 15 yard penalty. Any other pushing a player down after the whistle would need to be an ejection and suspension or it would be hypocritical.

22 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

So no arrests in the offseason? C'mon, he hasn't had issues off of the field. He was attacked on the field and reacted poorly, he doesn't have any off of the field issues. He is a workout warrior and seems like a genuinely good guy and extremely intelligent and mild mannered. This isn't Pacman or a Pouncey or a Roethlisberger, Ray Lewis, Johnny Manziel, Josh Gordon, the 1991 Bengals, Lawrence Taylor, etc...

It's like telling someone who was arrested for tax fraud that as long as they don't get a DUI then they can have a shortened sentence. The only way Myles can prove that he will react better in the future if he is attacked on the field is by reacting better on the field and nothing between now and then is relevant.

Did you notice where I said that this is the penalty that I would give out?

You didnt.

Because I didnt.

I said this is what I think GOODELL will do.

23 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Why would they do that?  After the offseason starts no one will remember this incident even happened.

Why does Goodell do anything?

I'm not saying it's the punishment I'd hand down. Just gazing into my crystal ball (hazy as it is) to determine what Roger will do

1 minute ago, Thaiphoon said:

Did you notice where I said that this is the penalty that I would give out?

You didnt.

Because I didnt.

I said this is what I think GOODELL will do.

Well you came to that conclusion. I can't say Goodell is wrong for something he hasn't said or did.

• Like 1