Myles Garrett suspended indefinitely

RaidersAreOne

4 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

The ball was not gone for a few seconds; more like a fraction of a second at most. Which is perfectly legal. 

Forcibly? Seriously? He wrapped him up, not knowing for sure that the ball was out, and wrapped him to the ground. That's about as gentle and nonthreatening of a hit on a QB you can muster. Rudolph just took it personally because he was having a terrible night. 

Could you argue Garrett maybe held on for too long? Maybe. But like I said, he didn't know for certain the ball was out. Wrapping up for an extra couple seconds doesn't do anyone any harm. It's what you're coached to do. He didn't slam him and he didn't put all his weight on him. It was clean.

Yeah I agree, it certainly wasn't a late hit and he wanted the sack (stat) so if he thought he still had the ball which is entirely plausible because his facemask was in Rupdolph's chest when he released the ball then there was nothing wrong with finishing the clean tackle.

He shouldn't have retaliated against Rudolph trying to pull his helmet off but I get it.

He shouldn't have swung the helmet at him, period.

5 hours ago, warfelg said:

Myles hit him square (fair enough) then started to twist him down after that (excessive).

I think that's a bit overstated. He had him wrapped, naturally there is going to be a bit of a twist while he's trying to bring him down. This is making it sound like he swung him down with jerking motion. All things considered the hit was very mundane. I don't see anything excessive.

• Like 2

You're right. I stand corrected it wasnt a late hit but rolling him around and laying on top of him, it was definitely unnecessary.  The game is over. Just get off of him and go back on defense. NOTHING anyone else did makes Garrett's actions acceptable by any stretch of the imagination he committed a near criminal act. The worst act of anyone and it's not even close.

27 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

You're right. I stand corrected it wasnt a late hit but rolling him around and laying on top of him, it was definitely unnecessary.  The game is over. Just get off of him and go back on defense. NOTHING anyone else did makes Garrett's actions acceptable by any stretch of the imagination he committed a near criminal act. The worst act of anyone and it's not even close.

He didn't lay on top of him either. Watch the replay again. They landed side by side. Mason than messing with garrett helmet is how Garrett ended up on top of him. Not sure why it's so hard for people to just admit mason was frustrated, got mad started the whole thing and than Garrett took in to far. Nothing Garrett did on the play was wrong. Absolutely nothing. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, warfelg said:

I've used the wording of it was 'excessive action' that Myles did post contact.  I don't buy that he didn't know it was out.  Mason was in the act of releasing it at that point he got hit.  Myles hit him square (fair enough) then started to twist him down after that (excessive).  I think the playcalling of a screen with :15 was stupid, I think Myles going that hard with :15 left and up two scores is stupid.  That's a play that 99/100 times we see the defender pull up after the initial contact, pat the QB on the head, say good game, and go to the lockerroom.

This is nonsense. If he continues the hit and spear him to the ground putting his body weight on him. It's a flag and fine. He hugged and twist him down. Even Cam Jordan said it's a text book hit on a qb if you trying to avoid a flag. All he did was finish his tackle. Nothing more nothing less. If he wanted to be extra he would have ran through him instead of hugging him. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

He didn't lay on top of him either. Watch the replay again. They landed side by side. Mason than messing with garrett helmet is how Garrett ended up on top of him. Not sure why it's so hard for people to just admit mason was frustrated, got mad started the whole thing and than Garrett took in to far. Nothing Garrett did on the play was wrong. Absolutely nothing. 

thats not right. Look, mason certainly made it worse but thats likely a flag regardless. He brought him down well after the ball was gone, and it wasnt due to momentum or gravity. He intentionally drug(ged?) him down, he could have just let go, but he decided not to. 

15 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

thats not right. Look, mason certainly made it worse but thats likely a flag regardless. He brought him down well after the ball was gone, and it wasnt due to momentum or gravity. He intentionally drug(ged?) him down, he could have just let go, but he decided not to. 

If there’s no fight nobody looks twice at that sack IMO

if mason didn’t like it he should’ve attacked the ref that didn’t throw the flag. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

The ref is right there and dodnt think so. That's not a flag. It's a clear wrap up and take down. You can hit the qb after he releases the ball if you are already into your tackle. He didnt know ball was gone and even if he did, all he did was finish that tackle . 

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

Well I don’t disagree with how her started but how he finished that thought? How does that get said and no one emphasizes to not say anything like that?

I don't understand why an absolute microscope has to be put on every reaction the Browns have to this incident.  He said what he thought, and a lot of people think as well.  It's a double standard that the Steelers can openly claim their total innocence, but nobody on the Browns can call it how they see it.  He also called Myles's actions "overboard".  At the end of the day they have to travel to Heinz Field to play the Steelers again in two weeks so I'm glad they don't feel too bad.

7 hours ago, wwhickok said:

Rolling him is literally the safest thing for Garrett to do tho. He has been flagged too many times for supposedly driving his body weight into the QB. It’s what helped the Steelers tie the game last year week1 when Garrett had the BS roughing the passer call/flag which the league apologized for later on saying it wasn’t flag worthy. Twisting like that stops the weight from being driven but also secures the tackle.  
people are saying he was laying on him for too long but at the same time that is when Mason is trying to rip his helmet off. So how can he properly separate? Also from that video it seems like Garrett arrived at Mason right as he was dumping the ball off. So he had every right to hit him, wasn’t a dirty hit and truly wasn’t excessive force to get him down to the ground. Garrett has been flagged for a lot worst when it comes to roughing. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GSUeagles14 said:

His facemask is in Rudolph's chest when he threw the pass, they were already in contact there is no way any ref should ever throw a flag on the play itself. That part was clean. I didn't even have a problem with Garrett ripping Rudolph's helmet off (in that situation, if we would have been in a situation where it hurt the team to retaliate in that instance I wouldn't like it... not that they flagged Rudolph for any part of it I don't believe). The helmet swing is a different level and we all agree that was a bad and dangerous choice.

I feel like that sack is absolutely a roughing the passer in 2019. Should it be? Probably not, but it absolutely is in 2019.

I have seen absolutely nothing that makes me think Rudolph tried to punch/kick him below the belt.

I am not even 100% sure Rudolph was trying to rip off Garrett's helmet (to me I could see it both ways - either he was trying to push/peel him off or maybe he was but I don't think its 100% conclusive). I'd say I'm maybe 65% sure?

I wouldn't have an issue with Rudolph getting a game or even two, but I am not losing sleep over him just being fined.

I think Pouncey getting 3 games is light, comparatively. I don't buy the argument you are "supposed" to exacerbate the situation to "protect" your QB and that mitigates punching and kicking another player somehow. 

I'm fine with a game suspension for Ogunjobi. Don't think many disagree with that.

I think anything from 6-10 games is reasonable for Garrett. 

Overall, I'm okay with the way the league handled this.

• Like 1