Myles Garrett suspended indefinitely

RaidersAreOne

8 hours ago, wwhickok said:

I think this opinion is based on wanting to see Devlin Hodges play. I dont think anything Mason did warrants a suspension.

ok, maybe you are onto something ;). Really though, Mason should have got a 1 game suspension to set an example, he wasn't free of guilt in this . 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dante9876 said:

I cant believe after watching the video 100 times you still believes he was laying on top of him was excessive. If you still believe this your opinion has to be biased. They landed side by side. Garrett ended up on top of him cause of mason messing with his helmet. How you going to call it excessive. Here it is in slow motion. They land side by side. It was a simple tackle. No lay on top. No body weight, no spear. A simple twist down. 

https://youtu.be/0s2v2jW5OXU

It was the end of the game there wasnt even want reason to take him to the ground. It's not so much my opinion that it was excessive as much as I bet Rudolph thought it was given the situation in the game.

10 hours ago, wwhickok said:

The issue however with the hit was the whole taking him to the ground and lying on top of him. It was excessive. 

We've been over this before. Garrett has the right to make that tackle. It wasn't excessive; especially when you consider he wasn't certain the ball was out. It was a on time, very tame form tackle.

10 hours ago, wwhickok said:

Mason grabbed him by the helmet and shoved him essentially. That's it.

That's putting it lightly. Rudolph instigated the entire event. Without Rudolph reacting the way he did there would be no suspensions or fines. The game would have ended. Instead, he snapped and tried to rip the helmet off of an opponent. Then he decided to charge him again after they were separated. 

I think he should of at least got a game. A fine means nothing to these guys.

5 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

We've been over this before. Garrett has the right to make that tackle. It wasn't excessive; especially when you consider he wasn't certain the ball was out. It was a on time, very tame form tackle.

That's putting it lightly. Rudolph instigated the entire event. Without Rudolph reacting the way he did there would be no suspensions or fines. The game would have ended. Instead, he snapped and tried to rip the helmet off of an opponent. Then he decided to charge him again after they were separated. 

I think he should of at least got a game. A fine means nothing to these guys.

Rudolph didnt instigate Garrett hitting someone with a helmet, period. Garrett made that choice on his own. NOTHING Rudolph did equates to what Pouncey, Garrett, or Larry Soft did

• Like 1

Just now, wwhickok said:

Rudolph didnt instigate Garrett hitting someone with a helmet, period. 

Of course. But Rudolph instigated the fight and then it escalated to him getting hit with a helmet. 

1 minute ago, wwhickok said:

NOTHING Rudolph did equates to what Pouncey, Garrett, or Larry Soft did

I never said it did. Which is why I didn't say his suspension should be as long as Pouncey, Garrett's or Ogunjobi's. He should still be punished with at least a suspension of 1 game, or else it appears as though the NFL is favoring the (untouchable, golden-child, do-no-wrong) QB. Rudolph was at just as much fault as Garrett before the helmet swing. I'd be interested to see the punishments handed out if Garrett never did swing, and he just dropped/tossed his helmet away. I'd wager the punishment would be a lot more closer to equal. 

9 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Of course. But Rudolph instigated the fight and then it escalated to him getting hit with a helmet. 

I never said it did. Which is why I didn't say his suspension should be as long as Pouncey, Garrett's or Ogunjobi's. He should still be punished with at least a suspension of 1 game, or else it appears as though the NFL is favoring the (untouchable, golden-child, do-no-wrong) QB. Rudolph was at just as much fault as Garrett before the helmet swing. I'd be interested to see the punishments handed out if Garrett never did swing, and he just dropped/tossed his helmet away. I'd wager the punishment would be a lot more closer to equal. 

Larry Softs suspension is 1 game, just saying. 

IF he didnt swing the helmet, I bet he gets a 2 game suspension at most. 

So here's the point I've hit:

Who the hell cares who started it?  Why does it matter?

Did Mason do something stupid by pulling at Myles helmet? Absolutely.  But in what world is yanking the helmet off  guy a 'fair retribution'?  It's a clear escalation.  And don't spill to me the stupid take of kicking in the manhood.  If you put a helmet on and someone tried to pull it off you would flail about trying to get them off too.

Was Mason overzealous in his getting up and getting in Myles face? Absolutely.  But again making it out like 'he deserved it' or trying in some way to make it out like Myles was only reacting.  We've seen plenty of NFL players run up and get in the face of another without anything like this happening.

Sorry but this BS of somehow everything Myles did was just in reaction to what Mason did, and Myles wasn't in control of what he did but somehow Mason was in control is out of hand.

17 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Did Mason do something stupid by pulling at Myles helmet? Absolutely.  But in what world is yanking the helmet off  guy a 'fair retribution'?

I'm sorry but if you try to rip my helmet off and fail, and I try and rip your helmet off and succeed, that is pretty much as close as you can get to fair retribution. The intentions were the same.

Who the hell cares who started it?  Why does it matter?

Because the incident doesn't occur without him starting it? 

But again making it out like 'he deserved it' or trying in some way to make it out like Myles was only reacting.  We've seen plenty of NFL players run up and get in the face of another without anything like this happening.

Who said this? Not me.

Sorry but this BS of somehow everything Myles did was just in reaction to what Mason did, and Myles wasn't in control of what he did but somehow Mason was in control is out of hand.

Garrett reacted to the helmet pull. There's no denying that. Everything else he did was inexcusable and totally on him. If Rudolph didn't start it none of this happens. There would be no discussion, no suspensions, and no news story. He should be held more accountable.

Edited by SmittyBacall

6 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

I'm sorry but if you try to rip my helmet off and fail, and I try and rip your helmet off and succeed, that is pretty much as close as you can get to fair retribution. The intentions were the same.

Laying under someone and pulling at the helmet and standing over someone dragging them to yank the helmet off are as close as you can get to fair retribution?

And this is why so many Steelers fans are getting so defensive right now:
Everything that happened is being pinned on Mason and all we get on the other side is "of course hitting him with the helmet is wrong."  But meanwhile we've had to read over and over how Mason did this, Mason did that, like Mason was the only person responsible for controlling his actions.  If Mason pulling and tugging at Myles helmet that way was that bad, and that dangerous, why are you following up with the similar concern for Mason in that part of the brawl.  Mason is being blamed for charging at Myles after getting up, like it's never happened before.  We're seeing still shots of parts of the brawl as 'evidence' of something happening that Mason 'did' yet not one wants to make a GIF of the moment showing what actually happened.

We're defensive about it because so many people are upset about what Mason did, but brush off everything Myles did outside the helmet swing as "oh he was just reacting".  I'm sorry but in an ugly incident where both players were idiots and did something wrong; why do we somehow have to make one guy 'more wrong'.

• Like 1

Just now, TXsteeler said:

NFL should just make a new rule that removing an opposing player's helmet with your hands = a season long suspension. Boom, it'll happen like 2 or 3 more times in the next 20 years.

I believe there's already a rule in place that it's a 15 yard penalty and ejection.  Going beyond that is overkill.  In the last 30 years there's only 2 instances (that I can find) of pulling off and opponents helmet and swinging it, and 2 instances in NFL history (that I can find) of swinging it and connecting.  Creating a rule off something that happens so infrequently is not really worth it.

9 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Laying under someone and pulling at the helmet and standing over someone dragging them to yank the helmet off are as close as you can get to fair retribution?

Honestly, yes. Things will never be perfectly equal in a fight. If you don't want your helmet pulled off don't try and pull off mine.