Early returns for the 2019 Raiders Rookie Class

RaidersAreOne

32 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Literally everything I've heard until like two weeks ago was that Ferrell has been trash. I haven't seen anyone defending him until this recent trend of going nuts about the Raiders draft class.

There was like a 7 week stretch where he didn't have a sack, hit, or pressure. He has absolutely played poorly.

He was playing inside on passing downs, which he's never done before consistently to try to get Mayowa and Crosby on the field more. He also had a concussion for which he missed a game and illness. No one is denying that he started slow, but to say that he was "awful" is definitely an overstatement. 

No one was "defending" him, as much as acknowledging that not everyone comes into the NFL a finished product. His improved play over the past 3-4 weeks is evidence of that.

Edited by MrOaktown_56

the vikings found trae waynes (1st, 11th), eric kendricks (2nd, 45th), danielle hunter(3rd, 88th) and stefon diggs (5th, 146) in the same draft in 2015. they found three elite talents and a solid corner with half the draft capital the raiders had and nobody talks about their draft class. hyping up the raiders draft class as one for the ages is not only premature but also disrespectful. 

edit: that said i don't have anything against the raiders draft class, just trying to nip the hyperbole in the bud.

Edited by whitehops
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

He hasn't been bad though? Not elite like a #4 pick is expected to be, but saying he is bad is simply wrong.

Not hits or pressures through weeks 2-9 of the season, 46.5 grade from PFF which ranks 117th in the league. But sure, he had to move inside on 3rd down. His incredible breakout performance came against Sam Tevi's backup and was still outplayed by Maxx Crosny in the same game. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Not hits or pressures through weeks 2-9 of the season, 46.5 grade from PFF which ranks 117th in the league. But sure, he had to move inside on 3rd down. His incredible breakout performance came against Sam Tevi's backup and was still outplayed by Maxx Crosny in the same game. 

Refer to my PFF post above. PFF will manipulate player grades and performances to be align with their draft grades. They are the most egotistical bunch ever, especially the long hair skinny owner guy (Steves ok). These guys are worthless. 

3 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

He was playing inside on passing downs, which he's never done before consistently to try to get Mayowa and Crosby on the field more. 

Dude, guys aren't getting moved inside to get other players on the field. That's a ridiculous argument. He was getting moved inside because he was failing to deliver pressure outside. It should have helped him generate pressure against slower guards inside, but he couldn't do that either. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Refer to my PFF post above. PFF will manipulate player grades and performances to be align with their draft grades. They are the most egotistical bunch ever, especially the long hair skinny owner guy (Steves ok). These guys are worthless. 

So through 8 weeks of football without a single hit or pressure, what do you think his grade should have been?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

So through 8 weeks of football without a single hit or pressure, what do you think his grade should have been?

That statistic is verifiably false. It was also falsely cited by Josh Dubow, and was corrected afterward. I'll pull the PFF statistic.

So Palazzolo is wrong that after 3 games Ferrell had 7 pressures? I thought you said he didn't have a single hit or pressure "through 8 weeks of football".

17 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Dude, guys aren't getting moved inside to get other players on the field. That's a ridiculous argument. He was getting moved inside because he was failing to deliver pressure outside. It should have helped him generate pressure against slower guards inside, but he couldn't do that either. 

Nope. Our DC Guenther literally said he was being moved inside to put other rushers on the field. But I'm sure you watch every Raiders press conference like I do.

How should it have helped him? It takes a different skill set to rush inside. One that a rookie who's never done it hasn't developed yet.

18 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Ok cute, so now you're gonna go purely off the PFF grade.

"Still outplayed by Maxx Crosby". Yeah Crosby, the guy who by your own standard (PFF) has been one of the best rushers in the league.

Find one Raiders fan (because you obviously haven't been watching Clelin Ferrell every week), who will tell you that he's been BAD. I'll wait.

I don't know why Ferrell being "so bad" is the hill that you're dying on. He has played the run well, is among the league leaders among DL in passes defensed (https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player-stat/defense-pass-defenses), and has been getting better each week as a pass rusher. He's a ROOKIE. Not all rookies show out from day 1. Especially ones who have missed games and lost weight due to concussions and illnesses. 

It's funny because you had our rookie class as 20th in the NFL, even though it's been arguably the best even with one of our 1st round picks being on IR. Maybe let that simmer.

22 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Literally everything I've heard until like two weeks ago was that Ferrell has been trash. I haven't seen anyone defending him until this recent trend of going nuts about the Raiders draft class.

There was like a 7 week stretch where he didn't have a sack, hit, or pressure. He has absolutely played poorly.

Yeah, he got off to an extremely slow and discouraging start where he was simply invisible most weeks. Then he got hurt and sick, lost 20 pounds and missed a few games. Since then he has showed alot more promise in these last 3 games.  I doubt he will ever live up to being a top 5 pick, but he definitely wont be a bad player. Kinda like the Eric Fisher of DEs.

30 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Another PFF analyst:

But I thought Ferrell "didn't have a pressure or hit in 8 weeks". Smh. 

I immediately question this list without his inclusion of Bosa there, unless he just wasn't including him. 

• Like 1

We'll have to wait and see how it does in future years. It'll hinge on how people like Ferrell and Abrams pan out. Otherwise, you're looking at very good to great HB (expected out of a first round HB), a potential steal in the mid-rounds at DE (assuming Crosby remains a quality starter), and a bunch of guys who are role players.

• Like 2