2020 Bears FAs -Who can/do you resign?

dll2000

1 minute ago, topwop1 said:

I'd rather them take that chance.

If worst comes to worst and you lose that player in FA then you should get a good comp pick in return.

That's how the good teams stay good in this league i.e. the Patriots, Ravens, Steelers, Packers, Cowboys etc.  These teams are always among the highest in comp picks because they draft well and can afford to let their own homegrown talent leave when they are due for that big second contract.

I'd extend Jackson unless he wants the moon.  He is having a down year which may help, but has been consistently good.

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

I think you let Prince go.  I really, really like him, and he is a team leader, but you will probably need the 9 million and given his age a year early is always better than a year late.

This is a good practice when you have solid depth behind the player you are considering letting go a year early.  Bears do not as Toliver is not a proven option and there is no one really behind him if say Fuller was to miss time.

• Like 1

Just now, topwop1 said:

This is a good practice when you have solid depth behind the player you are considering letting go a year early.  Bears do not as Toliver is not a proven option and there is no one really behind him if say Fuller was to miss time.

They are going to have to go unproven at some spots.

Better #2 CB on a talented defense than TE on a struggling offense.

• Like 1

Just now, topwop1 said:

You just have to hope young guys step up.  Most NFL teams are weak at one corner spot.  And there is no guarantee Prince will be good next year.  He will fall off at some point.  

6 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I'd rather them take that chance.

If worst comes to worst and you lose that player in FA then you should get a good comp pick in return.

That's how the good teams stay good in this league i.e. the Patriots, Ravens, Steelers, Packers, Cowboys etc.  These teams are always among the highest in comp picks because they draft well and can afford to let their own homegrown talent leave when they are due for that big second contract.

I thought I heard they were changing the comp rules soon anyway.   Even with comp rules extending is almost always a big discount over first wave URFAs.

23 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

They are going to have to go unproven at some spots.

Better #2 CB on a talented defense than TE on a struggling offense.

I believe they can keep both Prince and upgrade the TE spot while still being able to sign other key FAs like Trevathan and maybe HaHa or Nick Williams.

There should be easier cap causalities on the offensive side of the football over Prince on the D side.

i.e Kyle Long, and one of Gabriel or Patterson, or both, which should give them close to about $30M to work with before we factor in any other possible extensions or restructures that could improve the 2020 cap situation.

Let's be real...they aren't spending $20M on a new QB for next year, and I also doubt the team eats $4M of Burton's $6.8M money owed next season.  IMO he will be back as he went on IR now so he can be healthy enough to be ready  for next season.  Bears will just need a good compliment at TE beside him.  Not sure they go after an Austin Hooper as that will be very costly.. I think they learned their lesson the hard way with Burton and won't want to have that much invested at TE whether Burton is here or not, factoring in his projected cap hit.

Edited by topwop1

Priority:

Nick Williams -DT

Nick Kwit- ILB

RRH- DE

Bars -OG

Scales - LS

Want, but willing to let go for financial reasons:

Trevethan - ILB  (basically he's the dude where if I found a really nice TE / OL/ QB that could fill out the roster and had to sacrifice $$ I would do it. I think Kwit can step in decently enough)

Willing to bring back to at least camp and get a better look at:

Horstead - WR

Holtz -TE

I'm indifferent on, but are probably the best option for the cost:

Deon Bush -S

Everyone else can go pound sand.

32 minutes ago, Epyon said:

Want, but willing to let go for financial reasons:

Trevethan - ILB  (basically he's the dude where if I found a really nice TE / OL/ QB that could fill out the roster and had to sacrifice $$ I would do it. I think Kwit can step in decently enough)

Kwit is a nice downhill LB and special teams guy but I think people forget how limited he is in coverage.

Trevethan is the full package at LB and a leader of the defense.  He has won a SB before.  I think it would be foolish to not re-sign him.

There are other high paid players that should be cut loose that are providing little value to the team right now.  i.e Kyle Long, Taylor Gabriel and Cordarellle Patterson

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

Kwit is a nice downhill LB and special teams guy but I think people forget how limited he is in coverage.

Trevethan is the full package at LB and a leader of the defense.  He has won a SB before.  I think it would be foolish to not re-sign him.

There are other high paid players that should be cut loose that are providing little value to the team right now.  i.e Kyle Long, Taylor Gabriel and Cordarellle Patterson

I'd be interested in looking at having both of them while Floyd moves on. You could have both for less combined than he makes. 

In base both are there, it wouldn't be too hard to have Smith, DT, and Nick starting and then let Nick sub out for the extra DB in nickel. I think Nick could have the "Briggs" role. Run stopper, set the edge and cover flats. Having a physical presence with Hicks again will bopefully help keep Smith and a potentially injury prone DT healthy. 

He is limited in coverage but damn solid vs the run. Getting more 3rd and longs will immensely help the defense get off the field. 

3 hours ago, topwop1 said:

He's also older, and going to be coming off a moderately serious injury, and Kwit, while a liability in coverage (though flashed in coverage since Trev got hurt) , has shown that he probably could start for over half the teams in the league... 

I mean ideally I absolutely want Trev to stay, but if his money stops us from filling a major hole on the offense, then I have absolutely no issue walking away.  I'd add, that I don't think anyone on the defense, up to and including Khalil Mack, is immune from getting purged if it fixes our offense. And I'd part with multiple Trevethans, before I'd consider parting from Mack.

Basically it comes down to the idea that we can survive the loss of Trevethan defensively, but the team cannot survive with the offense as is, and I think having Kwit gives us a bit more flexibility on ILB than perhaps other positions on the D without crippling ourselves.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Epyon said:

He's also older, and going to be coming off a moderately serious injury, and Kwit, while a liability in coverage (though flashed in coverage since Trev got hurt) , has shown that he probably could start for over half the teams in the league... 

I mean ideally I absolutely want Trev to stay, but if his money stops us from filling a major hole on the offense, then I have absolutely no issue walking away.  I'd add, that I don't think anyone on the defense, up to and including Khalil Mack, is immune from getting purged if it fixes our offense. And I'd part with multiple Trevethans, before I'd consider parting from Mack.

Basically it comes down to the idea that we can survive the loss of Trevethan defensively, but the team cannot survive with the offense as is, and I think having Kwit gives us a bit more flexibility on ILB than perhaps other positions on the D without crippling ourselves.

I would think that both Trevathan and Prince are expendable. The D will be fine as along as Hicks,Mack and Goldman stay healthy. Why is the Bears offense so bad though? They hired an offensive head coach and drafted a QB 2nd in the draft. They spent on Burton and Allen Robinson. They spent 2nd round picks on Daniels and Whitehair on the OL. They used 2nd rounders on Shaheen and Miller. So with all the resources they  put into the offense they shouldn't be this bad. Could it be coaching or just bad drafting.

It is very hard to overcome screwing up top 10 picks especially at Quarterback. It can take years to overcome a bad selection because you still need a  QB and it is really hard to be in a position to draft a top QB again. Maybe the Bears can get lucky and find one in the 2nd or 3rd round.

This is why Trubisky has a chance to start in 2020 because Pace loves him and is not ready to give up on him.

If i were the Bears i would just build as good of a team as possible to try and minimize the QB position. Because unless Trubisky improves they aren't going to have a franchise QB in the next few years. That means getting an OT, OG and a TE to improve the running game and while still keeping the defense good.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TB 1 said:

I would think that both Trevathan and Prince are expendable. The D will be fine as along as Hicks,Mack and Goldman stay healthy. Why is the Bears offense so bad though? They hired an offensive head coach and drafted a QB 2nd in the draft. They spent on Burton and Allen Robinson. They spent 2nd round picks on Daniels and Whitehair on the OL. They used 2nd rounders on Shaheen and Miller. So with all the resources they  put into the offense they shouldn't be this bad. Could it be coaching or just bad drafting.

It is very hard to overcome screwing up top 10 picks especially at Quarterback. It can take years to overcome a bad selection because you still need a  QB and it is really hard to be in a position to draft a top QB again. Maybe the Bears can get lucky and find one in the 2nd or 3rd round.

This is why Trubisky has a chance to start in 2020 because Pace loves him and is not ready to give up on him.

If i were the Bears i would just build as good of a team as possible to try and minimize the QB position. Because unless Trubisky improves they aren't going to have a franchise QB in the next few years. That means getting an OT, OG and a TE to improve the running game and while still keeping the defense good.

Burton packed it in.

Gabriel isn't all that good.

Miller is talented but clearly dumber than a doornail.

Shaheen obviously blows.

Daniels has been average.

Trubisky isn't good.

So yeah, when you miss on all that and really only hit on Whitehair and Robinson, this stuff happens.

2 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Burton packed it in.

Gabriel isn't all that good.

Miller is talented but clearly dumber than a doornail.

Shaheen obviously blows.

Daniels has been average.

Trubisky isn't good.

So yeah, when you miss on all that and really only hit on Whitehair and Robinson, this stuff happens.

#firepace

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dll2000 said:
Danny Trevathan ILB 30 CHI TBD $7,000,000 UFA -
Kyle Long G 31 CHI - $6,100,000 CO -
Chase Daniel QB 33 CHI TBD $5,000,000 UFA -
HaHa Clinton-Dix FS 27 CHI TBD $3,000,000 UFA -
Sherrick McManis S 32 CHI TBD $1,750,000 UFA -
Aaron Lynch OLB 27 CHI TBD $1,500,000 UFA -
Bradley Sowell TE 31 CHI TBD $1,450,000 UFA -
Ted Larsen G 33 CHI TBD $1,020,000 UFA -
Nick Williams DT 30 CHI TBD $895,000 UFA -
Cornelius Lucas LT 29 CHI TBD $815,000 UFA -
Patrick Scales LS 32 CHI TBD $810,000 UFA -
Kevin Pierre-Louis OLB 26 CHI TBD $805,000 UFA -
Brent Urban DE 29 CHI TBD $805,000 UFA -
T.J. Clemmings RT 28 CHI TBD $805,000 UFA -
DeAndre Houston-Carson S 27 CHI TBD $770,000 RFA -
Nick Kwiatkoski ILB 27 CHI TBD $728,780 UFA -
Deon Bush S 27 CHI TBD $716,555 UFA -
Roy Robertson-Harris DT 27 CHI TBD $645,000 RFA -
Isaiah Irving OLB 26 CHI TBD $645,000 RFA -
Rashaad Coward RT 25 CHI TBD $645,000 RFA -
J.P. Holtz TE 27 CHI TBD $525,000 ERFA -
Alex Bars G 24 CHI TBD $495,000 ERFA -
Jesper Horsted WR 23 CHI TBD $495,000 ERFA

this is tough... depending on the price I'd like to bring back Trevathan, HCD, McManis, Williams, Kwiatkoski, Bush, RRH, Bars

In terms of moves... we're currently about $2.5M over the cap so I would cut the following:

Long

Amukamara

Gabriel (I'd cut him twice)

Patterson

Shaheen

Puts us up to about $24.7M under the cap. I think we can find a corner in FA that won't cost $9M per (Amukamara) or we could maybe use one of our second round picks there if there's a kid we like.

This is making out to be a decent WR draft so we could potentially draft one as well. I'm disappointed in Miller... dude still needs help getting lined up properly, is STILL running incorrect routes, and now is half-*** jogging to his spot and not being set when another WR goes in motion, drawing us a flag. And to top it off, after the INT where he ran his route too deep, he felt the need to turn around to the Rams' sideline and throw up some ******* hand signs. I'm worried that he might not only be dumb, but a diva ***** who can't play.